Bowel prep - PEG-3350 OMG! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel prep - PEG-3350 OMG! Bowel prep - PEG-3350 OMG!

Unread 02-14-2006, 08:28 AM
Bowel prep - PEG-3350 OMG!

I picked up my perscriptions today. My bowel prep is this HUGH bottle (4 liters) of an oral solution. I am supposed to drink it every ten minutes until nothing but clear fluid is coming out. This seems cruel. Anyone else has this type of prep, and lived to tell about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2006, 08:38 AM

I didn't have a bowel prep, but my husband once did something similar to yours (his came in something that looked like a milk jug).

Actually, he said it wasn't too bad and it was "all over" in a couple of hours. and best wishes to you.
Unread 02-14-2006, 09:46 AM

I did this same HUGE prep last year the day before a colonoscopy and thought I was going to die when I saw it! And I have the prescription for the Big Jug again for this one. At least I feel more prepared.
It wasn't too bad, but I would get some sour candy to suck on after each glass - it helped so much. I didn't finish the whole jug, but the nurse told me up front that NO ONE ever does. Just keep drinking until you feel like you're stomach is full of the junk (I was about to vomit and literally couldn't get anymore down).
Then get ready with a book or something cause you will be spending the next 2-3 hours in the bathroom. If you are pooping water, you have succeeded. You may even have the dry heaves from the bum - the only way I know to describe it.
I started at about 5pm and spent 6-8pm in or very near the bathroom. Then I only had to get up once around 2-3am to go again. And then slept the rest of the night and had to go again the next morning before I jumped in the shower.
Hope my experience helps some. Just know that there's been some that have already had to do it and then there's some getting ready to do it.
I also have to do 2 fleets as well as the BIG JUG this time. I guess he wants me SUPER CLEANED OUT.
I hope they realize that I won't be able to go for another 3-4 days after that though!! That will be my holdup - they won't release me from the hospital until I go - and I'll be so constipated. I didn't go for about 3-4 days after the colonoscopy.
And drink as much water as you can up until midnight (or whenever they stop you) for your veins to be punched the next day. Dehydration makes your veins disappear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2006, 09:52 AM

I have the same problem. I normally go no more than twice a week as it is. If they clean me out, it will be several days before I have to go again. Same thing happened with c-section, but that prep was worse. the nurse gave me an enema. No warning...
Unread 02-14-2006, 10:36 AM

I had to drink the "drink" although I started around 3:00 day before so would be done to get a good nights sleep. Tasted salty and was told it's better if it's chilled a little. Good luck. Starting 3rd week post op. Gets better daily.
Unread 02-14-2006, 11:35 AM

I just read the prescription and get this:
This jug is called Go Lytely - what a joke!!! I guess that thought it would be funny calling that thing Go Lytely - it's anything but light!!!
I remember that during my pregnancies, that there is a candy and taffy at the Cracker Barrel stores that are also called Go Lytely. My OB suggested it for my constipation. On the package it even states, consumption can lead to anal leakage - what a hoot! But it sure helped during my pregnancy.
Not real excited about doing this again next week, but it will be worth in the long run!
Unread 02-14-2006, 01:48 PM

I never got through the whole jug either - maybe more like half. Make it up the day before, keep it way in the back of your fridge to keep it super cold. Drink it down fast wtih a straw so it doesn't touch your tongue too much, and follow with rinsing your mouth out with water.
Unread 02-14-2006, 01:53 PM

I had not thought of using a straw... That is a great idea! Thanks!
Unread 02-14-2006, 02:13 PM

Yuck! I hadn't thought about having to do anything like that for surgery. I just had to do something very similar for a barium enema. And I couldn't find a straw
The straw would have been a HUGE plus
Unread 02-14-2006, 05:17 PM

I did the bowel prep two weeks ago, and it was not bad at all. Get the flavor packets and chill it and you will be fine. I only had to ingest 1/2 of the bottle before I was thouroughly clear. I think the thing that helped me is the doctor explained that a clean bowel is a lot safer if they have to do anything other than remove the reproductive organs. In my case, we were not sure if the tumor I had was malignant or not, (NOT), and if they would have had to do anything concerning my bowel, it was important that it be prepped. I am 16 days out of a TAH-BSO and gallbladder removal, and doing just great. Also, you will go in the hospital before you think you will....as long as you are passing gas and fluids, they will let you go.

Best of luck to you,

Judy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register