Incision problem at 4 1/2mths | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Incision problem at 4 1/2mths Incision problem at 4 1/2mths

Unread 04-01-2006, 02:54 PM
Incision problem at 4 1/2mths

I haven't been chatting for a while as everything has been going really well and I've been full on back into my normal life.
However! this weekend I noticed one of my tiny abdominal incisions (where the laproscopic instrument parts were inserted) was sore. This morning I've noticed the skin has actually split along the "seam". I'm wondering why this should happen so far into my recovery. I've stuck some antibiotic ointment and a plaster over it so hope that helps. I just think it is really odd. I've not done anything extra-ordinary that would help account for this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2006, 03:16 PM

Don't know why your incision split at this point, but unless your dr says to, I would not put antibiotic ointment on it. A small part of my incision opened up a week after my surgery and I put neosporin on it until I could see my dr. Turns out, according to my dr, antibiotic ointments can cause or make an infection worse for surgical incisions- for run of the mill cuts and scrapes, not a problem. In my case, just putting hydrogen peroxide and sterile bandage over it is all I should do. Hope you can get advice from your dr soon.
Unread 04-01-2006, 03:32 PM

I have to agree about the antibiotic ointment. I was at the doctor yesterday with an open incision from LSH. Even though it is certainly infected, they told me not to put anything on it. She dressed it with nothing but a dry sterile pad after she dug around in it with a q-tip. AAARRRGGHGH!!!

I'm on cipro for it, but nothing on the wound. And just for kicks and jollies, the other one opened up this afternoon. :wow:

Because the first one is threatening to tear beyond the margin, and that HURTS!, I did put a steri-strip on it, but I think its better for it to get air and close on its own. It's itching today, which I know is a good sign, but miserable. And doesn't the cipro bring its own particular joys?

If it's not infected, I'd leave it alone. Otherwise, call the doctor on Monday.

Nightauel

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register