Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Apr 23, 2017 - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Apr 23, 2017 Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Apr 23, 2017

Unread 04-23-2017, 08:46 AM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Apr 23, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenniswolf View Post
Hi! My hysterectomy is scheduled for tomorrow- today is by far the worst with lots of anxiety and emotions!! I am having a robotic total hysterectomy with the hopes of keeping my ovaries! At 44 I am not ready for hormone therapy but the dr said he would know more when he was in - couldn't tell from the ultrasound if endometriosis was on ovaries. He also said he would cut the fibroids to be able to remove those - anyone have experience with this? I tried to watch the procedure online but my husband made me turn it off - he thought it would just increase my anxiety! I think the waiting has to be worse than the actual procedure- or at least that is my hope!!!

Waiting in Kentucky!!!
Hi! mine is also tmrrow, afternoon in calif. The waiting has been terrible- they moved mine to this week a day before I was supposed to have it done! At this point am pretty calm. Spoke to a Neighbour and she said it was minor surgery. She hardly took any painkillers once she came home and felt quite fine.
Wish you had a Xanax to take tonight- helps a lot with anxiety and sleeping. Or my doctor said as normal sleeping tablet is a good idea. make sure Doxtor is prescribing meds for constipation and gas!!! They really help apparently. Well after tmrrow we will both be done, and will be glad over time that we had it done! Good luck!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2017, 09:20 AM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Apr 23, 2017

Oh no!
Don't feel ashamed!!
You are already a hero for undergoing this surgery and taking care of your body for yourself and yours.
Hugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcshortie View Post
Thank you. Will be thinking of you as well. Ashamed I am such a wimp.
Unread 04-23-2017, 09:24 AM

to your Open House sweethearts!!

It makes me smile wide to see the bonding that is already happening!!!

I am going to catch up on your posts, though here is a handy link of Abbreviations that you will see used around this amazing site.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2017, 09:25 AM

Welcome Ladies to your Pre Op Open House! We are so glad you’ve joined us. This is your place to introduce yourself, ask your questions, and just share whatever is on your mind as you approach your surgery date.

Please check in with us after your surgery, you will find your thread in the “Hysterectomy Recovery Reports” sub-forum (at the top of the Post Op forum). You should also receive an email with a link. This is your place to post updates and share your progress as you heal.

As our surgery approaches, the nerves can get out of hand! This is completely normal, but knowing that doesn't make it any easier. The waiting truly is the hardest part, so your best course of action is to keep busy. Scrub your house, cook & freeze meals, and prepare your recovery area. Stock up on books, magazines, puzzles, movies and hobbies to keep you quietly busy while you recover. Get out of the house and have fun with family and friends... go for a picnic, to the movies, or perhaps have a spa day. Finally it's important to take quiet time just for you as well. Meditate, yoga, quiet walks or a long bubble bath will soothe your nerves and help give you peace.

Here are some articles to help you prepare:

5 Ways to Prepare & First Surgery
10 Essentials to Pack for Hospital
Coping with Anxiety & Fear Before Hysterectomy
Relaxation Suggestions

Deep breaths, Ladies, you can do this! And we are here for you every step of the way.

Unread 04-23-2017, 09:33 AM

What Am I Having Done Inside?

Some women are unsure about what exactly will be done inside during their surgery & what all the terms we use here mean. The first thing to know about hysterectomy is that the cervix is part of the uterus, and not a separate organ. Therefore Total Hysterectomy means the entire uterus (including cervix) is being removed. Ladies having a Partial (or Sub-total/Supracervical) Hysterectomy are retaining their cervix. A Radical Hysterectomy includes an inch or two of the upper vagina and is usually performed in cases of cervical or vaginal cancer.

Removal of the ovaries & fallopian tubes may be done at the same time as a hysterectomy, but it is a separate procedure altogether and is called a Bilateral Salpingo Oophorectomy.
Having a Hysterectomy: What Do I Need to Know?
What Are the Different Types of Hysterectomies?
Parts of the Uterus
Vaginal Cuff: What Is It?
Click here to see more Abbreviations used on this site, and to see the acronym for the type of surgery you will be having.

Unread 04-23-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaJ1979 View Post
Hi there

I am having my TAH with BSO for adeno on Friday. I am starting to get nervous now but I know I am making the right decision. I am so ready to live my life again, pain free!!

All advice very welcome, looking forward to chatting with you all

X
LisaJ1979,
Being nervous is a normal part of the process when it comes to major surgery. Jot down any questions that you might have as it will enable you to not only take with your doctor about calming your nerves. You will have a chance to do so with your Anesthesiologist for any pre op anxiety.
You’ve got this! Know there are sisters here that have been or are going through many of the same things that you are.
on your upcoming surgery and the hope for an uneventful recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibee314 View Post
My radical hysterectomy is Wednesday and I am nervous. I'm all in my head, mourning a chapter of life that is over and probably being a little dramatic but it's a big deal to me. Im 33, suffered from endometriosis for over 15 years and am ready to live a pain free life, it's just stressful. I suppose I'm mainly worried about the recovery.

To any other ladies in this position, my advice is to just breathe, remain optimistic and know you're not alone. We're all in this together.
Hello nikkibee,
Grieving Before My Hysterectomy is very normal. When the decision has been made to have surgery, the realization dawns on us that we will begin a new chapter in life especially after the pain and heavy cycles that we had for so many years. Your recovery will be a journey. The important thing to do is provide yourself a good atmosphere in the days/weeks and months that are ahead.
For now, focus on something to keep your mind busy and do something fun for you.
There are sisters all around pulling for you!
You are not alone!
Sending for your upcoming surgery and the hope for an uneventful recovery.
Unread 04-23-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSandy View Post
I am having a Divinci surgery tomorrow afternoon. The doctor told me if the pathologist finds no cancer he will take everything but leave my left ovary. I have polyps in my uterus and a growth on my right ovary the size of a grapefruit. All of my markers came back normal. I am 65 and it will be so nice to not have the bleeding I have been going through for the past 12 weeks. Yes I am anxious.
We are so happy that you found us here!

I am glad that you came to join in your Pre Op Open House to not only share your story but to gain that sweet bonding of sisterhood.
I will send prayers your way that everything comes out good. Even with one ovary, you will gain the benefits of your own body's natrual estrogen.

Keep yourself busy. Gather any items that you might need along with making any meals that you can freeze ahead of time.
I grabbed puzzles and pre-recorded any movies I might want to watch on my DVR.

Having nerves/fear or anxiety is normal before major surgery. Talk with your doctor and your anesthesiologist as they can help calm you also.

on your upcoming surgery and the hopeful for an uneventful recovery.
Unread 04-23-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenniswolf View Post
Hi! My hysterectomy is scheduled for tomorrow- today is by far the worst with lots of anxiety and emotions!! I am having a robotic total hysterectomy with the hopes of keeping my ovaries! At 44 I am not ready for hormone therapy but the dr said he would know more when he was in - couldn't tell from the ultrasound if endometriosis was on ovaries. He also said he would cut the fibroids to be able to remove those - anyone have experience with this? I tried to watch the procedure online but my husband made me turn it off - he thought it would just increase my anxiety! I think the waiting has to be worse than the actual procedure- or at least that is my hope!!!

Waiting in Kentucky!!!
Hi Tenniswolf,

As our surgery date approaches, often the anxiety level increases as well. Waiting for major surgery is stressful! Do what you can to calm your nerves and distract yourself. The waiting is really the hardest part, once I woke up on the Other Side I felt such relief!

Here is an article on morcellation that will hopefully provide the info you're looking for. My surgery was vaginal, so my surgeon cut my uterus into smaller pieces to remove it. Here is the link to the Fibroids Articles List as well as the Endo Articles List in case you wish to poke around there as well.

Watching our procedure online can be helpful for some women and very unhelpful for others! I still can't watch my surgery online, even though surgery stuff doesn't usually bother me.

Sweetie, you can do this!

Unread 04-23-2017, 10:01 AM

Hi,
I'm 44 and have 2 teenage girls. My laparoscopic hysterectomy is on Thursday 27th. I have a large fibroid in my cervix which has been causing such unimaginable pain and bleeding for a year now. At first I was told it was it was IBS so I just kept going, hoping it would get better. Needless to say, after 9 months I decided I couldn't carry on suffering and went to speak to my gynaecologist who is expecting to find endometriosis too. We are hoping for laparoscopic but it may turn out to be abdominal, both ovaries removed.

I too go from a sense of relief and "just get this over and done so I can live a normal life again" to sheer panic and terror. I feel sad right now that this is the end of a chapter, even though my girls are 14 and 13, it still feels like a loss.

I just want to thank HysterSisters for this incredible resource and thank you all for your courage and strength to share your stories which definitely help me to not feel so alone... Go well and God bless each of you ladies!
Sharice
Unread 04-23-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn VH View Post
Hi! mine is also tmrrow, afternoon in calif. The waiting has been terrible- they moved mine to this week a day before I was supposed to have it done! At this point am pretty calm. Spoke to a Neighbour and she said it was minor surgery. She hardly took any painkillers once she came home and felt quite fine.
Wish you had a Xanax to take tonight- helps a lot with anxiety and sleeping. Or my doctor said as normal sleeping tablet is a good idea. make sure Doxtor is prescribing meds for constipation and gas!!! They really help apparently. Well after tmrrow we will both be done, and will be glad over time that we had it done! Good luck!!!
Thankfully I do have Xanax!! I'll think of you tomorrow and prayers for a fast pain free recovery!!!!
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register