Going to Walmart in the morning, what do I need to buy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going to Walmart in the morning, what do I need to buy? Going to Walmart in the morning, what do I need to buy?

Unread 01-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Going to Walmart in the morning, what do I need to buy?

My surgery is Friday.... I thought i knoew what I need to pick up at Walmart, but now I am feeling lost. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2008, 12:54 PM

Hve you seen the link to "checkpoints" ? It has a pre-op link that you click and and suggestions for what you may need.
I had travel sized tissues,lotion , shampoo, conditioner,
my own tooth brush, paste, ear plugs, eye mask incase.
went to bath and body works and got some sweet smelling lotion and bath gel to pamper myself.I took throat drops, travel pillow,Night gowns, robe my crocks and fuzzy socks.granny panties,small pads and pantie liners, several kinds of teas for my nurses as a thank you because they were so good to me!Gas X! stool softener,juices , waters, soups for home,some ladies take some snacks with them I didnt need them, I took a find a word puzzel and magazine I couldnt think straight for a few days didnt need them I took my walkman too. and my cell charger.. cant think of anything else > I had too much with me but I didnt want to take a chance on not having something I needed and not have it! good luck!
Unread 01-15-2008, 01:33 PM

Here's a link to get you started.
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_96849.htm
Check with your doctor about the gas X and stool
softener before you spend the money.
My doctor said she would make sure I got them
in the hospital. Whatever they gave me
worked great because I had no gas pains at all!
Enjoy your shopping trip!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2008, 01:07 PM

In addition to the things in the checkpoint list mentioned above, there were two things I have really appreciated during my recovery:

- I bought a new, really soft and wonderful MICROFIBER THROW BLANKET... I found it very comforting both in the hospital and at home. (Remember, this is YOUR blanket... no one else can use it!!)

- My sister bought me a ROLLING TABLE similar to the one you'll have in the hospital. I kept it next to the bed or next to the chair in the living room. It was really handy and kept everything I needed close to me (pen/paper, magazines, hair brush, pain meds, remote control, etc). You'll find a big selection of tables on Amazon.com / search "Overbed Tables". Now we use it as a TV tray or craft table, so not a waste of money.

Everyone always says to have gas-x close by, which I did, and never needed... something I did need was Milk of Magnesia and Doc-Q-Lace (prescription stool softener), as it was about six days before I had a BM.

Hope this was helpful!
Unread 01-16-2008, 01:13 PM

I went this morning, and got all different travel size items, a universal remote for the tv,a pillow, and my liquid diet for tomorrow
My husband said something about getting me a lap try for eating..... hope he remembers
Unread 01-16-2008, 01:19 PM
extra things

Whatever you do - don't forget to take your own pillow to the hospital. You will need lots of pillows to get comfortable. Two things that have really helped me since I have been home are 1. My clorox throw away toilet cleaners - I have been able to keep my own bathroom up to my standards (They have a long handle so no bending to clean) and my hand held shower head (helps me reach unreachable places

May God bless you as you heal!
Unread 01-16-2008, 02:10 PM

For the first few weeks at home, I wore loose-fitting sundresses... it was much easier and I still looked "put together" enough to receive guests or answer the door, but I didn't have to worry about anything hitting my incision. You can always snuggle up with a blanket if you're cold.

I sort of made a "nest" for myself in the living room, where I actually slept for the first several weeks. I just don't sleep well after surgery, so this way I didn't bother anyone during the night by getting in and out of bed.

Many sisters note that having a cooler beside the bed or couch with cool juices, etc. was a very good idea... although I was close to the kitchen and so I took my "walks" in there every so often to refill my water glass. As for other grocery shopping, easy was the keyword for me! I think about all I wanted when I came home was toasted peanut butter and jelly sandwiches -- which is thankfully something my husband can actually make.

I never needed Gas-X or pads after surgery, or many of the other things suggested here. But maybe having a good supply of your favorite coffee, tea, or other beverages would be good, along with some light reading. I really couldn't concentrate much until I was a few weeks out from surgery.

Hope this helps.
Unread 01-17-2008, 11:06 PM

I don't think I could of lived without my heating pad, a bean bag ice pack and a real soft pillow for my tummy, and of course GAS X. I never thought that i would ever fart in public but after I released my first one I announced to everyone when ever I did!! Maybe I got the courage to announce from the morphine?? Oh and a body pillow, it realy helped me sleep at night, I slept on my side with it pushed against my stomache with the ice pack in between.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register