Gas problem | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-27-2009, 07:48 AM
Gas problem

Im quite worried about the gas problem that everyone seems to have after their procedures.
Do the hospital prescribe anything for it (Im in the UK btw)?
What do you recommend?
Many thanks
Lizzie x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2009, 07:55 AM
Re: Gas problem

My hospital gave me Milk of Magnesia but I never took it as when I started to walk around the hospital I started to pass gas. As the nurse called it, I was having a Fart Party.

A lot of people here use GasX. I tried it at the very beginning and it did not do much for me. I would have to say the best thing to relieve the gas pains is to get up and walk when you are able to do so.

Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 10-27-2009, 07:55 AM

The hospital did not prescribe anything for me, but told me I could take over the counter "Gas X." Also recommended walking around as much as I could to break up the gas and get it moving out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2009, 10:17 AM

Actually, I'm worried about it, too. It's making me nervous. I've been told to get a stool softner and use GasX. It's probably a good idea to walk as another poster mentioned.

Ali
Unread 10-27-2009, 10:36 AM

Do not be nervous about it Ali. It really is just annoying LOL, for me that is the best way to describe it. The worst pain I had was Friday evening right before I was going to be released from the hospital. It just kind of crept up on me. I was even passing gas during the day and walking but I knew it was coming because as the evening went on the less I could walk because the gas/pain was getting worst. I would have to say that after Friday I had little to no gas pain but I was passing gas during the day and I always remember I took GasX after every meal for about the 1st week post-op even though it did not do much for me I just had read on here where it helped people so I said what the heck I might as well take it.

Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 10-27-2009, 10:37 AM

I used Phazyme and it worked well for me. Gas pains are uncomfortable post op but walking, the gas medicine and a heating pad helped me.
Unread 10-27-2009, 10:42 AM

All you can really do is walk & try the gas-x. It helps a little bit.
Unread 10-27-2009, 03:25 PM

My doctor had them give me a stool softener and something comparable to GasX (nurse told me it was "their brand" when I asked) in the hospital, starting soon after I got to my room. I continued both items when I came home, and I didn't have any significant difficulties with gas at all. I was really worried before, like you, but staying on top of it from the beginning really did the trick for me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register