do you remember being in recovery? - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

do you remember being in recovery? do you remember being in recovery?

Unread 01-13-2007, 09:53 AM
do you remember being in recovery?

I do not remeber recovery at all. I remeber the epidural being put in and the mask on and then all I remeber is being wheeled to my room and seeing my husband. So I'm with you -- no recollection at all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Violet
I don't remember a thing until I started waking up in my room. Was throwing up, and DH and Mom had to leave the room so the nurses could clean me up. Then they let DH and Mom come back in. He told me I was in recovery for 5 hours! At my 2 week appt. I asked the Dr. why I was in so long, he just said I was sleeping peacefully. Go figure. I don't remember a thing from falling asleep in the OR to being in my room. Oh btw, I walked into the OR, jumped up onto the table and they started my IV, then my Dr. walked in! How about it...anybody walk into the OR under their own steam? I've never heard of it before.
I also walked into the OR. The anesthesiologist carried my IV and we walked in together. I had never heard of that either.
Unread 01-13-2007, 10:46 AM

I don't remember recovery just waking up in my room with my wonderful hubby sitting there waiting for me to wake up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2007, 10:46 AM

I think the funniest thing that happened as I was finally coming out of it was that I was in my room and starting to really wake up. DH asked how I felt, I told him I had to pee and he said "honey you're already doing that" (referring to the catheter).
Unread 01-13-2007, 04:28 PM

The only thing I remember about recovery is somone telling someone else that I didn't breathe after they took the tube out of my throat, so they had to put it back in awhile longer. It's very true that when you're out of it, your sense of hearing is the last thing to go. I didn't actually wake up until they went to my regular room.
Unread 01-13-2007, 04:34 PM

ditto
  Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser
Nope! Don't remember a thing! I barely remember being put in my room, and don't remember much that happened for the rest of the day!

Unread 01-13-2007, 06:24 PM

I was out of it coming out of the pre-op room (I guess I blew a kiss to my DBF and mouthed "I love you" - but I don't remember). The next thing I remember was the post-op room and them asking my pain number ... they were very nice. Then, both the nurse and the intern (I was at a teaching hospital) tried to talk to me for an hour in post-op ... all I can remember is that my mouth was so dry, and I felt so crappy, it was really hard for me to talk -- they were very sweet, but I couldn't figure out why they were so intent to talk to me!! Oh yea, my doctor stopped by right out of the OR to show me pictures of my uterus (yucky ... and full of fibroids). I remembered when I had my gallbladder out the surgeon did the same thing -- I and wondered why, because 24 hours later I couldn't remember what they had said!!

I was in surgery (LAVH) for 3 hours, recovery for 3 hours, in my room by 5 or so ... I sent DBF home after about 1/2 hour -- I just wanted to lay around and not feel like talking anymore!

Oh yea, the other thing I remember -- I hated the feel of the cath -- I begged the resident to take it out at about 6:30, she did but she said I had to pee on my own within 4 hours -- they said they would help me one time (an "in and out" cath) if I didn't, but if I did not pee on my own by 2:30 they would put the Foley back in. I tried so hard to pee by 10:30, I was in tears as I told the nurse I couldn't do it ... she cathed me once and by 2:00AM I pee'd on my own ... I was SO proud!!

Did you guys get to use the "socks"? I had to get heprin shots, shoot those things hurt!!!
Unread 01-13-2007, 06:31 PM

Speaking of heparin shots, I got that during my TAH, to which a friend had commented the next day when she saw how bruised I was, that I had been 'butchered" what a crock! lol The heparin bruised me up colorfully, but I lost a minute amount of blood because of it. I think my doc is a flippin' genius!
Unread 01-13-2007, 07:07 PM

I remember quite a bit of the recovery room. I recall waking up and having a male nurse asking me how I felt. I told him that I felt pretty good and I do remember saying "Wow, it's over all ready?" It was two hours after I had been wheeled out of pre-op.

He asked if I wanted ice chips and I said yes. I remember him returning a few times to give me more ice. I also remember my Dr. visiting me there...she told me how it had all gone, however I do not remember her telling me about the "growth" they saw on my liver and that they were going to send me for a CT scan. I had to ask her why the next day. It was a benign cyst. Funny thing is that my neighbor was my CT Tech. LOL! I live in a large city (over 2 million people in the metro area) and my neighbor ends up being my tech!

From the time I woke up in recovery (around 11:15AM on Monday) until 1:30 AM on Tuesday, I was wide awake and remember what went on. Yea!!!
Unread 01-13-2007, 07:09 PM

I don't remember a thing from when the anesthesiologist pushed the plunger on the Versed until I woke up in recovery to a very nasty nurse who apparently had some problems as all the other nurses kept asking her how SHE was! I was in alot of pain and asked for a drink. She snapped something about having to take care of the important thongs first...that could wait. Then they moved me to my room and could not get the pump thing to work and there were 5 of them bumping into each other. It got better after that.

If I have my rectocele repaired I am thinking of spinal as I had a heck of a time getting over the general. I DO NOT want to remember anything, walk in myself or be aware too soon. Anyone have feedback on pros and cons for spinal?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register