Am I being a wimp? Or is this normal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I being a wimp? Or is this normal? Am I being a wimp? Or is this normal?

Unread 01-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Am I being a wimp? Or is this normal?

Brief synopsis: davinci hys on 1/7, took uterus and cervix. They found endo, fibroids, and adeno. (which was why I had it done in the first place.) Recovery is so slow! I thought I would feel like doing more by now- I can't really even stand up totally straight yet! Lots of pain to the touch around my whole abdominal area- like a real deep sunburn almost.

I read here that some are up walking miles, and back to their normal activities, having surgery even after I did. I'm not complaining- I'm happy for them, but just feel like I must be doing something "wrong" or something not right, anyway. I'm already worrying about going back to work (supposed to be 2/3). I am on my feet 8 hours straight, constantly moving, lifting. Am I a baby for wanting to extend it? Need some feedback please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2008, 02:57 PM

Heck no!! It was 2 weeks beore I even drove my car! I didn't start back to the gym until my 6 weeks all clear, and even then I didn't push myself. Give yourself time to heal, and heal correctly, without trying to prove to yourself or anyone else that you are superwoman right now. These first few weeks are important to keep from forming adhesions, which would undo all the work you just had done. My docs advice to me was to listen to my body, and it will let you know if you are pushing too hard... mine still does every so often! You will hear it many times here, you only have 1 chance to heal properly, give yourself that chance. And what might be easy for one woman to do post-op will not be for someone else. I had my TVH 10/15/07, and a girlfriend had an LSH the end of November. She was driving and running errands a few days after, and hosting a big open house Christmas party a few weeks later. I was kind of jealous, and feeling wimpy myself, but we really all do heal differently, especially depending on the type of surgery and what all was done. It sounds like you had quite a bit to be taken care of, and your body needs time-time-time to rest and heal. Don't beat yourself up over what you're not doing right now, but celebrate what you will be doing in the not too distant future.
's being sent your way!!
Unread 01-18-2008, 03:04 PM

I had the same surgery as you on 12/12. I came out feeling great and starting doing too much too soon. I was back in the hospital on Christmas day for a vaginal cuff repair. Lost a lot of blood, had to have transfusions and stayed in the hospital for 2 days. I share this NOT to scare you but to reassure you. You are doing the right thing. REST!!!!! I thought because I had the DaVinci that I should be up and going. Everybody's body heals on a different timeline. You had lots of internal work done. Please learn from my mistake... Everything you want to do will be waiting for you when you are recovered.
Peace and blessing in your recovery,
June
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2008, 03:05 PM

I don't think you are a whimp - or maybe I am one too!!!! I had surgery 1 week ago. Let me tell you that my walking routine (now that they let me out of the castle - 5+ days later) includes walking the halls of my split foyer house. You know, very athletic things like - to the bathroom - to the kitchen - and yes, when I really want to feel like I am aiding the recovery process 1 lap around the kitchen, dining room, living room and back down the hall.

Everyone is different and that is about all the energy that I can give right now. I plan to do better during week 2 but really and truly, I don't intend to overdo it.
Unread 01-18-2008, 03:19 PM

Patience, darling ones!!!!!!!!

Not only "don't intend to overdo it" --- DO NOT OVERDO IT!!!!

You deserve all the time it takes to heal, and you have no way of knowing how long that's going to be. I'm convinced it has little to do with the actual specific procedure that was done. We're all on the same roller coaster.

Patience is NOT my strong suit.... and I'm thankful I learned how to exercise it in the nick of time.... So, put your feet up....and watch those videos that have piled up on your bookcase.

Hugs to all,

Siri
Unread 01-18-2008, 03:41 PM

A wimp - hardly!!

It took me almost 4 weeks before I could even sit up in a chair for any length of time & just as long to try driving.

I went back to work this week after 8 weeks post-op and then only mornings (I'm a Special Ed. teacher). I then spent the afternoon on the couch! I head back full time next week.

I have felt very good throughout my whole recovery but when my body wants rest it demands it!! (So I comply!!)

You're doing great - and, as you'll hear over and over - don't over-do anything!!

All the best,
Tracy
Unread 01-18-2008, 06:44 PM

I am 5 weeks post op and I always worry that I am a wimp! I went to work today for 5 hours in a desk and came home in tears and had to take a percocet I was in so much pain! I thought I would be back by now and am so frustrated that I am not as well! You are still so early in your recovery! Its only been 11 days! I dont even think I was very coherant by then...lol
Unread 01-18-2008, 06:59 PM

Hi Mich

As everyone here so far has pointed out, it's not worth rushing! There are women on here who do post about their marathon activity after surgery, but it is not wise. There is a guidline for activity for a reason, and you're best healing comes from following doctors orders. There is a tremendous amount of initial healing that goes on in the first six weeks, but can continue for up to a year after your surgery. While you may feel good on the outside, your insides may be silently protesting, and eventually you could pay the price.

The fact that you spend eight hours a day on your feet and lifting at your job is hard on a healthy body. I don't blame you for wanting to extend your leave. That is hardly wimpy! If it's possible, why not? I think you need to listen to your body and do what it tells you. Please keep us updated on your progress, and good luck with your decision.

Unread 01-18-2008, 08:32 PM

I had DaVinci surgery on 11/26. I returned to work on 1/3, a little over 5 weeks. I'm still really tired after work and was in bed the other night at 8:30!! And now I'm almost 8 weeks out....Relax. You aren't a wimp. Listen to your body and take it easy. The DaVinci surgery is remarkable in that the recovery is a lot easier than the traditional abdominal surgery, but you still had major surgery and have lots of healing to do on the inside. I also had some irritation around the incisions and wore sweats and PJ bottoms for the first 5 weeks. If you are really uncomfortable, maybe you should contact your doctor and see if there's anything you can do to feel better.
Hang in there! It really does get better with time....and take all the time you need to heal!
Unread 01-19-2008, 12:09 PM

Thanks for your support. I feel much better. I'll keep resting and healing all that I can!
-Mich

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register