Awaiting the big day | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Awaiting the big day Awaiting the big day

Unread 09-10-2005, 03:15 PM
Awaiting the big day

Hi fellow sisters
I have less than three weeks before my visit to the castle and I decided to tell my little ones 6 and 8 and Just said mommy has to get some bad things out of her tummy. I just wanted know if I should in the case of something bad prepare them for that or just take it as it comes. Mom will be with me for three weeks and I hope that all goes well. I've read alot of posts and some have been more helpful than others but enjoyed them still the same. I have all of my appointments scheduled and I am hoping that they wont make me nervous because as of now I'm okay. Do you know if they require you to appoint someone to make decisions for you in the event of something unexpected because I am an ex- ring wearer? I'm thinking my mom. I will be having a TAH and hope to keep the ovaries. I guess I have rambled enough and hope I didn't type too much. Look forward to your words of advice and ecouragement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2005, 03:56 PM
Awaiting the big day

I don't know if I can help you but can only tell you how I explained it to my 4 children ages 13 - 6. I explained all that I knew about the surgery to them. We had had the "Talk" last year as my sister in law was pregnant and the younger ones asked questions. If your children know about wombs and stuff it might help them to understand the recovery time after. We got a really good book for our younger kids, it doesn't cover sex, just womens bodies and what babies do inside the womb and what a womb is. I can't seem to find it, but if you maybe check at your local book store you might find something that would work for the level of knowledge your kids need or have. My kids now understand everything that is happening, Uterus is the main topic of conversation at our dinner table at the moment!

I would appoint your mom, incase you are incapable of making decisions, she will have your best interest at hart, and know what your wishes would be.

I hope I didn't come off as to pushy, just was letting you know what works for me.
Unread 09-10-2005, 04:31 PM
Thanks for responding

Thanks for responding and no you did not come off as being pushy. I may not have phrased it right but as far as appointing someone I meant in the event that a decision had to be made once I was on the table and they found something unexpected. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2005, 06:51 PM
Awaiting the big day

Brown02, you may also want to consider preparing a healthcare power of attorney if you want your Mom to be able to make healthcare decision on your behalf.

I don't know if it is absolutely required since it is your Mom/blood relative, but I have something similar in place so that my partner can speak for me as needed.

cjcj
Unread 09-10-2005, 06:55 PM
Awaiting the big day

I have to dd's ages 6 and 7. I explained my tah to them and they seemed fine with it. However, they cried when they came to visit at the hosp. They said it bothered them to see me like that (tired, iv's..etc). My advise to you would be to prepare them for what they will see when they visit you. It was heart wrenching to see them go through that. I never thaught to prepare them for thier visit.
Good luck to you.
Unread 09-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Awaiting the big day

My kids were 6 & 8 and I told them that mommy has something wrong in her tummy that needed to be taken care of. They were fine with it and didn't even ask any questions. I explained how thing were in the hospital and they handled it quite well. They have experienced sick grandparents, so it really wasn't a shock. DS had to go to the emergency room himself this past winter, so he knew about IVs. They were a little scared about the oxygen in my nose though. Most of you will not have it. I just had some trouble breathing.
Unread 09-11-2005, 11:15 AM
my doc had a great idea...

she suggested that my 6yo child come to the hospital only on the final day when I am being discharged. That way, she sees the place but not the un-pretty picture of mom immediately post op.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register