Traveling 5 weeks post-op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Traveling 5 weeks post-op? Traveling 5 weeks post-op?

Unread 02-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Traveling 5 weeks post-op?

I had breast cancer in 2002 and was put on Tamoxifen. I now have uterine cancer and my primary is relatively sure that tamoxifen was the cause even though I've been off of it for 5 years. I'm having abdominal hysterectomy with removal of my ovaries on Wed. (Feb 10th). I was thrown into menopause when I had chemo in 2002 but I started bleeding in December. They did several tests and found I had cancer. My ob-gyn feels it was caught early so the hysterectomy will fix it. I'm feeling optimistic and hope to be visiting my younger daughter in 5 weeks who is studying abroad in Italy. Has anyone traveled that soon after surgery? My doctor feels it will be fine and I'll need to walk so I'm hoping he's right. I'm worried that my surgery will be postponed because they are predicting a major snow storm. Hope they are wrong about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2010, 12:01 AM
Re: Traveling 5 weeks post-op?

Dear Cocoa,
You have been through so much already! I hope you feel well enough to travel in 5 weeks, but I wouldn't chance it. My husband went on a trip when I was 5 weeks out and I wanted to go with, but no way was I ready for it. You risk blood clots from such a long flight and sitting in one seat for that long won't be easy. Plus what if you have some post-op complications? I had to drive myself to the ER while my husband was out of town because of the complications I was/am having.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear and I know you are a strong woman to have survived breast cancer. If you decide to go, make sure to get as much help as possible in the airports (wheel chairs, luggage assistance, etc.) I'm assuming you will be travelling with someone else along?

Good luck to you and best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Unread 02-09-2010, 02:41 AM

(((Cocoa427))) I hope you will feel well enough to travel by five weeks post op, but not everyone is. I went on a two week trip to Japan with my then-12 year old DS at six weeks post op (the trip was paid for before the hyst was scheduled, and because of the nature of the trip I could not reschedule nor could I send him alone).

I had a great time, but at the same time it was very difficult physically. My 12 year old DS had to manage both his bags and mine, and sitting for a long time on the plane, in tour buses etc was very difficult. I also had trouble when touring when we had to climb stairs.

Hopefully your surgery will go smoothly and you won't have any trouble during your early recovery, but there is no way to predict that. I wouldn't be purchasing non-refundable tickets just now.

Good luck with your surgery, and I do hope you get to make the trip!

s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2010, 06:15 AM

Thanks Marie and Linda, I haven't made any reservations yet because I am concerned but I do plan on buying refundable tickets just in case. My husband is willing to carry my luggage and my older daughter also plans on being with us so I will have some help. I guess I'll just have to see how I feel. Thanks again,
Donna

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register