lots of questions!!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

lots of questions!!!! lots of questions!!!!

Unread 02-08-2001, 01:58 PM
lots of questions!!!!

Hi! I'm new to all of this (the posting, this website, and having a hysterectomy!) I am 34 years old with 2 wonderful kids - 8 & 10. I am wondering if anyone has had bladder surgery along with the hysterectomy. I go in on
2-16 to have a test for my bladder (running a catheter up to it and then filling it up with water to see how it reacts), then my Dr. and I will decide if we are doing both surgeries at the same time, or if I need the bladder surgery at all. I have fibroids, possible adenomyosis, an enlarged uterus, heavy and irregular bleeding, and horrible back pain, which I have had for years now, but it has gotten worse over the past few months. Hoping that the hysterectomy will make me feel better. Also, wondering about recovery time. I am a part time teacher assistant and going to school full time to become a teacher. I am hoping to only take 3 to 4 weeks off. Am I only dreaming here, or should I think about more time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2001, 02:56 PM
lots of questions!!!!

Definetly dreaming. A vaginal hyst (without repairs) is generally 4-6 weeks off. An abdominal is 6-8 weeks. Pelvic repairs could lengthen those totals depending on what is done. I'm scheduled for an abdominal with no repairs and I just got my leave papers back from our company's medical department and I'm approved to be off seven weeks. This would be based on what my doc filled out on the leave paperwork, so that gives you an idea of what's "normal". You really don't want to push recovery, you'll regret it. Read up on the Post-Hyst board to see the true-life experience of ladies who have gone through this. Even those with the easiest recoveries will tell you that proper rest is essential.
Unread 02-08-2001, 05:11 PM
lots of questions!!!!

First things First Deb.... Welcome to Hystersisters.
You've come to the right place for comfort, support and answers to your most nagging questions. Funny how as Ladies in Waiting we have an enormous amount of them. Now, on to your questions.

I had bladder repair along with my Abdominal Hysterectomy, back on December 7th. Yep, I went through the pre surgery bladder tests, and lap assisted D&C to determine the extensiveness of my endometriosis. After my urologist did the bladder test he came to the conclusion that I would benefit most from a bladder "tack" instead of the bladder sling. Personally, I was happy to have both the Urologist AND my OBGYN in there looking out for the endometriosis monster. My surgery went very well, both the hyster and the bladder repair. I was sent home with a SupraPubic Catheter so my bladder would have a bit more "down time" to mend and recover from the surgery. Can tell you more about that if you're interested. There are a couple of your hystersisters here who are very informative on the subject.

Back to work??? The rule of thumb is thus... your doc will tell you I'll see you in 6 weeks. Guess what that means? No vaccuuming, no cleaning, no driving (for at least 30 days.. check with your insurance company on that), no sex, no lifting. Post op is the time you MUST dedicate to your complete recovery. It's not an "if" it's a "must". A hyster is Major surgery. There are so many risks (risk of abnormal scar tissue growth, hernia, popped stitches... aka MORE surgery) involved in trying to get back to "normal" sooner then your body is ready.

The whole recovery process is mostly a matter of your body coming back alive out of the "hysterfog" of anesthesia. The drugs are great, but they can take a while to completely vacate the premisis. In other words... over the first several weeks after surgery you'll be experiencing a series of phases where your body becomes UN-numb. All kinds of new feelings and things to get used to. So, get ready to take care of YOU and get your NEST ready cause you're gonna get quite used to it.

Try not to be disappointed at the down time. It's such a great time to get more in tune with yourself and your body, and also rejoice in a life not riddled or controlled by pain. And anyway, what's 6 weeks out of your hectic schedule in the grander scheme of things. We're here for you if you need us.

I'd also like to invite you to join us in the Hystersister Chat room. We have lots of fun and learn at the same time. We'll share with you all our useless hints, tips and mishaps. It's a place where you can experience our "women helping women" concept in "real time". Sorry to be so longwinded.... WELCOME ABOARD!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2001, 06:21 PM
lots of questions!!!!

So glad you replied! I TRIED to reply to your email but it came right back as user unknown. So, here's my email.

I hear ya on that stress and nervousness stuff prior to surgery. Now it's time to take a deeeep breath and relax. I'll walk you through this. Before you know it the surgery will be behind you and you'll be like a race horse in it's stall trying to get on with the race of life.

Why not meet me on line via AIM. Do you have aol's Instant Messenger program?? You will usually find me on line most of the day... with the computer not very far away... in case one of our hystersisters pops up in dispair. If you go to http://www.aol.com, then scroll down to Instant Messenger, click on it and download the latest version... you'll have some company through this hyster process. AND you'll have fun too!

If you already have AIM just plug in my screen name ( PitterPat1960 )and let me know you're there... and we're good to go. I'll be in the hystersister chat room if you want to find me this evening.

More after I hear back from you.

PitterPat

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register