New and horrified! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New and horrified! New and horrified!

Unread 03-09-2007, 03:13 PM
New and horrified!

hi everyone! im scheduled to have a abdominal hysterectomy monday march 12th 2007 im horrified!!! im wondering how long the bed rest is afterwards can anyone tell me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2007, 10:48 PM
New and horrified!

Hi and

Being scared and nervous are very common so you aren't alone here!

After my TVH, I wasn't really on bed rest. I was up and walking, slowly, a few hours after surgery. I had restrictions for 6 weeks that included no lifting, no bending, nothing in vagina, and no baths. I wasn't allowed to drive for 2 weeks. Taking slow short walks and gradually building up were a very big part of my recovery and helped me feel better.

If you click on the tabs at the top of the page, you will find a wealth of information to help you prepare for surgery and recovery. The Pre-Op Checkpoints are extremely helpful and the Pre-Op Articles list has great information to help you prepare.

Welcome again! Have a cup of tea and explore the site! We are all here to support you!

s, Deb
Unread 03-11-2007, 01:38 AM
New and horrified!

I had a TAH. The answer depends on what you mean with bed rest. You may be resting at the hospital 3-5 days afterwards. I did 5. You´ll be walking slowly in a couple of days after the surgery. At home you´ll be slow and sometimes up, mostly resting in bed. And you´ll prefer it that way until you gain strength and interest in outdoor walking. It may be a lovely time. It was for me - I had time to experience a most beautiful fall here. I hope you´ll have a lovely spring time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2007, 08:53 AM
New and horrified!

Actual bed rest is not very long at all. They want you up and around within a day or two. You'll be tired and take a lot of naps, but you'll be walking just fine when you need to. I actually barely remember the first few days post-surgery. I know I had a morphine drip and so I had a nice brain fog for awhile. When I went home after four days, they gave me a Darvocet prescription and that managed the pain fine. I'm told that after full recovery I will be so glad I had the hysterectomy done! I'm looking forward to that.
Unread 03-11-2007, 09:06 AM
New and horrified!

I had an abdominal hysterectomy(kept ovaries and cervix) and I was walking the first night with help.Then was walking about 6 times during the day while in the hospital.Walking aids in the healing process.
Unread 03-11-2007, 12:31 PM
New and horrified!

I had a TAH on 8th February. I was in hospital for five nights. The actual time that you are on bed rest may be quite short. For me it was post op the first day and a half whilst I was attached to a morphine drip and a catheter. You will probably be wearing TEDs stockings to prevent blood clots. I was also visited by the physiotherapist and had some exercises to do. The medical staff will want you up as soon as possible to help pass the gas and to have a shower. You'll be resting on your bed as much as you want. The regime will be similar for the first two weeks at home. Best wishes.
Unread 03-11-2007, 12:55 PM
New and horrified!

I remember sleeping quite a bit the first couple of days I was home from the hospital, but pretty quickly I was out walking around in my neighborhood, although slowly. They really want you to move around as much as is comfortable, just avoid lifting things and anything else that might put a strain on your abdomen in that first 6 weeks or so. Otherwise, life can be fairly normal, except you don't have to clean the cat pan, someone else will have to handle that for a while!
Unread 03-11-2007, 02:19 PM
New and horrified!

I had a TAH and BSO on Monday and was out of the hospital by Wednesday. It is Sunday and I am going to go on a 20 minute walk outside.

I can't clean yet but I can get dinner for me and drinks. I sit most of the time. My incision hurts a bit when I move certain ways. I went to Motrin and off the narcotics on Tuesday morning. (I hate narcotics).

I am an online faculity and graded some papers yesterday and today but my brain is a bit foggier than usual.

I told my husband to give me one more week where he gets the kids up and ready for school I also can't drive until next monday.

I think my recovery is quicker than most but just wanted to give you an optomistic view.

Best of luck. I was terrified too. You will be fine.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register