Post Op seems a little negative :( - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post Op seems a little negative :( Post Op seems a little negative :(

Unread 02-27-2010, 01:39 AM
Re: Post Op seems a little negative :(

Dear fellow sisters,
Don't let the post op forum freak you out. I completely agree with what someone earlier wrote that fellow sisters are often looking for someone that might be going thru the same thing that they are. I had my TAH in June 2009 and it's they best thing I have ever done. NO MORE PAIN!!!! I did have a few complications but nothing to serious. By far the worst part for me was having to limit my activity for as long as I did.Two little funny stories for you: First, when I got home from the hospital I saw a load of laundry waiting to go into the washer. Oh, how I really wanted to put it in but my DH (who was in the other room) was reading my mind and yelled, "Don't you even think about touching that laundry." Boy, does he know me. Second, about 2 weeks after surgery I was feeling more than a little stir crazy sitting in the house. At 10:30pm I looked at my DH and asked if he could drive me to the hospital. It scared him and he asked what was wrong. I told him nothing was wrong but I wanted to go see the guys I work with because I was bored. Bless his heart he got dressed and took me to the hospital so I could see my coworkers. I'm getting ready to have my 9 month hysteriversary and I'm just as sassy as ever.
The best piece of advice I can give is that everyone reacts differently to having a hysterectomy. There is no right or wrong reactions either physically or mentally. Just know that if you are ever having a problem or celebration you have a network to come share your problems or joys with. Best wishes to all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2010, 09:09 AM

TLH 9 days ago

I was just thinking this morning how much better 9 days post op feels versus 9 days pre op when I was nervous and apprehensive.

I am recovering from major surgery (about 6 hours on the table), but each day I feel improvement. Today I am celebrating being in real clothes instead of jammies for the first time!! I even put on bracelets and a alittle perfume and that seems like real progress to me!!

I am taking it nice and slow, pampering myself, not rushing my recovery. We have one chance to heal correctly and that's my plan. I am tucked in nice and cozy in my warm home and won't return to work until April 12th.

Sending smiles and star filled wishes to all the pre op gals. Don't be scared. If I can do this, so can YOU!! Take care of yourselves ~~ StarryNite
Unread 02-27-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelCass View Post
So...I researched my condition, scheduled my surgery, paid that God-awful deductible, ordered my belly support band thingy and have scoured this site for ideas/help making my to do lists and such.... so I feel prepared....that's good right?

Well holy crap....someone should have told me DONT go over to the Post-Op forum. I just freaked myself out so bad that I swear I heard my uterus shriek!!

Tell me that there are lots of gals who had easy hysterectomies are off having glorious vacations and fabulous sex and perhaps not well represented in the post-op forums....
I'm heading over to post-op to report in on day 4 and have nothing but good news! I agree that sometimes people come to this site for support and once their crisis has passed, they don't think about returning to support others. Look for my posts on the other side as I will look for yours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2010, 10:32 AM

Post op nearly 6 weeks

I didn't dare go near the post op boards before the op as I just knew that if I did I would go 'hell no, no way am I doing that' lol.

Now I thank god for those post op boards especially the recovery threads for your dates.
Having a group of ladies that went through it all at the same time and going through the same set of emotions and hurdles and good times - like the first bowel motion lol made it so much easier to deal with.

I think the negativity comes from needing answers more than a pity me thing or that they op was bad etc. Some things like 'hey is anyone else feeling this' are great to read so you know you are not going insane etc (yes I am joking, no you are not going to go insane).

I can honestly say that without hystersisters and the post op board with people who can say yep been there, done that, understand completely then I might not be as far along as I am now.

For me recovery has been relatively easy and the biggest thing I can complain about is boredom. Went to the movies and sat for 3 hours AVATAR at 2 weeks post op no problems etc, no overseas holiday though **** it lol.

Good luck gals, see you on the post op boards soon, you won't regret having this op, i was in so much pain before hand i have hardly noticed pain post op.

Plus you get to make friendships with people from everywhere its kind cool really.

Enough rambling from me, good luck
Unread 02-27-2010, 11:16 AM

I felt the same way - I was very freaked out by post op forums. I talked to my doctor and he said that everyone is different - very true. I had a TAH with a vertical incision - had to leave the cervix because of scar tissue and kept one ovary. My recovery was good - some pain initially, but I was walking the halls the night of my surgery, walking daily once I was home (someone was with me), and I healed beautifully. I am a Type I diabetic, so that was a concern. I am a full time college student, and I was able to go to class by week 3 - I was back at work in six weeks, sex life is fine. There is still soreness and fatigue, but very managable. You can't apply what happens to others to your own life - everyone is different and everyone recovers at their own pace. Good luck.
Unread 02-28-2010, 03:37 PM

Hi there...sitting here 4 days post op and I feel OK! and that's enough for me.

I was scared I wouldn't be able to handle any of the pain or discomfort but guess what I am and its all manageable.

I am proud that I haven't had a major break down yet and I am thinking this may be the best thing I have ever done for myself!

So here is a hug and some well wishes to get you to the other side safe and happy
Unread 02-28-2010, 03:54 PM

I had a TAH and BSO on 2-9-10 and am feeling "too good" LOL! I did have the spinal along with my anesthetic and was fairly painfree for the first 12 hours or so...was up in a chair about 8 hours after surgery and walking the halls that same evening.
Stopped taking prescription pain killers 3 days after surgery because they made me have nausea but Advil did the job just fine :-)
Had my 2 week post op last Tues and Dr got after me for doing too much....apparently my cleaning dishes and doing laundry was a no no..oops!!

So my recovery has been set back a bit by my feeling too good ..haha!

You will be fine just listen to your doc and rest rest rest!! :-)
Unread 02-28-2010, 05:29 PM

I can't believe I will be 6 wk post op tomorrow and what an interesting ride it has been. The first two weeks were rough but I made it through.
last week my DH and I went on a mini vac and we had a good time. I had to rest quite a bit but no major pain or discomfort.
I really think it is a good idea to read posts on the pre and post op side because it can give you a prespective of what to expect. What I normally do is look for posts that relate to what kind of surgery I had.
Unread 02-28-2010, 06:42 PM

I'm scheduled for March 5 lavh/bso and I have done so much research my head aches. The post-op forums scare me also but I have learned what is normal and when I would need to contact the doctor. I read all the bad stuff to my husband and tell him why it happened. Like doing way to much to early and this has really got his attention.l I also tell him all the good posts and how much better the women feel.

I would never had thought about a belly or body pillow if not having read the post-up forums. I now have my pillows, granny panies, new pj pants, heating pad etc. ready for when I leave the hospital.

So I would say take only the stuff you can learn from. Everybody is different.

Good Luck Princess in Waiting. See you on the other side and maybe we can do some positive posting. I plan on staying with this site for many years to possible help others.
Unread 02-28-2010, 06:55 PM

I did not join site until after my TAH so I did not see Post Op. I can understand how nervous you must be, but honestly I was pleasantly surprised at my recovery. I was not nearly as sore or uncomfortable as I "imagined" I would be. Wishing you all the best!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register