My boss is chomping at the bit for my return | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My boss is chomping at the bit for my return My boss is chomping at the bit for my return

Unread 08-17-2016, 09:27 AM
My boss is chomping at the bit for my return

So my millennial aged boss keeps texting me relentlessly. I have had my husband text and call my sales manager (a woman) to go over details, but my boss wants to know firsthand. We agreed that she would be the contact but like everything else he goes back on what's been agreed to. So I texted him incomplete sentences that I was tired and in pain. He keeps asking me when I'm coming back and if I could do some work from home till then. I told him I can barely sit upright (sparing the I can't poop without crying) and have lots of abdominal pain. I told him my post op 2 week appointment is next Tuesday. He asked if I would be back on Wednesday?! Argh. I just want to rest, heal and not get the third degree. Maybe I should just turn off my phone...LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2016, 09:53 AM
Re: My boss is chomping at the bit for my return

Let him chomp.

Did your doctor give you a timeframe of when you'd be released to go back to work? Did you share that info with your sales manager?

I would make it very clear that you've had major surgery, that you are following your doctor's order "so I don't expose the company to liability" and you'd appreciate the time and space to rest and recover.

Best wishes to you!
Unread 08-17-2016, 10:08 AM

Your boss is young and male. That means he's almost certainly never had a major surgery or injury. He's probably never had anything happen to him that a couple of ibuprofen and a good night's sleep didn't cure. In other words, he's clueless.

Ignore his calls. Turn off the phone if you want to. His cluelessness is not your problem to deal with. Right now, healing is your #1 job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2016, 10:08 AM

Yes, turn off your phone until he figures out that you aren't responding to him, even if it takes all 6-8 weeks for him to get the message. You are under a doctor's care, not his. And no, don't work from home - ask those of us with desk jobs how exhausting sitting up is.

If your company has a policy regarding medical leave, know what your rights are. Your boss could be overstepping his boundaries. Also, get your doctor on board with a medical leave letter, etc.

Unread 08-17-2016, 11:10 AM

Screw that. Don't turn your phone off to shut him out. Use your phone to call your HR department to shut him up. I'm going back Monday, I'll be 4 weeks post op on Friday. My boss hasn't called or texted once but every Tuesday someone from my department has shown up with boxes and bags of food. They aren't asking me to work from home, they're encouraging me to rest.

HR and put an end to it. Now! I would.
Unread 08-17-2016, 11:48 AM

I agree with what the other sisters have said.. In addition, get a written note from your Dr stating the number of weeks off work & that you are not to return until cleared by your Dr. That's ridiculous to expect you to return to work in 8 days from a hysterectomy. Feel better.🌹
Unread 08-17-2016, 01:16 PM

That is all good advice. Do not let yourself be pressured into starting work prematurely. Remember, you don't get martyr pay for working in pain and misery. He won't suffer, but you will. He sounds like he's used to getting his way, but until you are medically cleared, you need to rest and recover. I do understand the employer's point of view, but you need to consider your health. Returning too early can be counterproductive.
Unread 08-17-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacieWI View Post
Screw that. Don't turn your phone off to shut him out. Use your phone to call your HR department to shut him up. I'm going back Monday, I'll be 4 weeks post op on Friday. My boss hasn't called or texted once but every Tuesday someone from my department has shown up with boxes and bags of food. They aren't asking me to work from home, they're encouraging me to rest.
That's an option for employers with HR departments. For small companies, smaller non-profits, partnerships and proprietorships, there's no such thing. In 32 years I've only worked for one company with an HR department.

Sounds like you work for a good company.
Unread 08-17-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgurl75 View Post
So my millennial aged boss keeps texting me relentlessly. I have had my husband text and call my sales manager (a woman) to go over details, but my boss wants to know firsthand. We agreed that she would be the contact but like everything else he goes back on what's been agreed to. So I texted him incomplete sentences that I was tired and in pain. He keeps asking me when I'm coming back and if I could do some work from home till then. I told him I can barely sit upright (sparing the I can't poop without crying) and have lots of abdominal pain. I told him my post op 2 week appointment is next Tuesday. He asked if I would be back on Wednesday?! Argh. I just want to rest, heal and not get the third degree. Maybe I should just turn off my phone...LOL
It's not good is it that they won't let us rest and recover! I text, phoned and handed in a six week sicknote but it didn't stop the texts, emails and phone calls asking for updates...I'm sick until the nite expires and possibly beyond that! So frustrating! It's major surgery and no one seems to realise this! Hope your ok and recovering well! And yes, turn the phone off!
Unread 08-17-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgurl75 View Post
Kgurl -

A couple of things from an 8 year HR professional. Whether or not your company has an HR Dept, or you are considered Salaried/Management -----
- Unless your phone is paid for by the company, your boss is subjecting the company to financial liability by calling you when you are on leave -- depending on your state of compensation, he may put the company in a position wherein they would be required to pay you for every call/text he has made;
- If he calls after being told 'not to call' he could be personally liable for harassment;
- If you live in the USA, and have worked for the company for at least one year, and have put in 1250 hours, you are eligible for a Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) LOA due to a Serious Health Condition - there is a raft of federal regulations that apply to your situation under FMLA.

Your boss is wrong: legally, ethically, humanistically.
If he continues - go over his head.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register