Keeping fit during recovery - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Keeping fit during recovery Keeping fit during recovery

Unread 05-22-2002, 04:59 PM
Keeping fit during recovery

At my Dr Pre-Op Monday I asked him the same question - I've been seriously working out cardio and weights for about 3 months now and can't stand the thought of losing my progress. He says most important of all - Listen to your body, it WILL tell you what it needs and how much. And he thinks I can start back to slow walking on my treadmill at about 2 weeks and after that it will just depend on the pace of my body healing.

We'll see!! Here's to hopefulness

Elaine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2002, 06:59 PM

That makes sense, Shelley. But wouldn't it be great if only the parts of us that got operated on needed to recover!
Unread 05-23-2002, 08:38 PM

chuckies, I think the dog will understand that"mommie" is sick. Animals are very smart and sence when we are"hurting". I am lucky I have a fenced in yard and a pug! He loves to run around in his little yard. He knew he could not jump on my lap! Still 7 weeks post op he is not allowed to jump on my lap. I can relate to the neighbors!!!!Mine are annoying too!Well good luck. You will do just fine!!!!!!!!!!Angela
Unread 05-24-2002, 05:47 AM

Angela, you're right on when it comes to how perceptive dogs are. The few times I've been sick since rescuing my golden 4 years ago, he's just hung out next to my bed patiently waiting for me to make a move. But once I'm up he assumes I'm back to normal.
I also have a fenced in yeard. But there's nothing like a brisk walk through the woods, and I know we'll both miss it during my recovery. My dh will take over the walking duties morning and evening. Unfortunately his idea of exercise is a slow stroll around the block!
Unread 05-24-2002, 08:48 AM

Chuckies, I am so glad that you brought this up. I am a runner. Ran my first marathon last year. I currently run about 30-40 miles per week and am scheduled for TVH on June 13. I've heard that walking is great for recovery but am wondering how much is too much. Any advice is appreciated!
Unread 05-24-2002, 09:11 AM

As we've all read here many times before, each of us needs to listen to her own body and her own doctor. Certainly this applies to exercise.
Earlier today as I unloaded the groceries and wrestled with the lift gate on my van I once again realized how many things I now do routinely will be strictly forbidden during recovery. As a fiercely independent Type A it's going to take some serious attitude adjusting to play the princess role!
And even though I'm a freelancer who works from home, the thought of being confined to home is not a pleasant prospect. Especially since my house is on four levels. If I stay on the main level to have access to the kitchen I'll need to go up and down four steps to the bathroom. If I stay on the lower level it's the reverse to get to the kitchen. And if I stay in my bedroom I'll have easy bathroom access, but will need to set up a makeshift kitchen. I guess it was pretty smart of me not to pitch the old microwave when redoing my kitchen!!
Unread 05-24-2002, 08:02 PM

Chuckies!!!!!!!I too am VERY type A lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I think that makes rrecovery worse for us!!!!!!!!!!!We want it done the way we want it done and if it is not done that way we do it ourself. Well....that was abig problem for me since my husband or my daughters do laundry right. Day 2 post op when I got home. from the casle I went downstairs and talked my daughter through putting in a load of laundry MY WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!. This is just one of many examples. If you want to keep in touch feel free to e mail me. I went back to work yesterday for the first time in 8 weeks what a day. I am a nurse. My 12 hours shift turned into 15 hours.I came home cleaned the house did the laundry and finally went to bed at 2am!!!!!I was up for 20 hours! The good news is. Igot up this moring at 9am and went to the gym. I feel fine. It really pays to be in Good shape!And it does make the physical part of recovery better. Take care. AngelaBut don't forget LISTEN to your body!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And don't over do it.
Unread 05-24-2002, 08:10 PM

Hi Angela. It was good to hear from another Type A. I can just see myself talking my husband through laundry. Goodness knows I've talked him through lots of dinner preps during recoveries from other (minor) surgeries.
I don't know how nurses can do those 12 hour shifts. Seems amazing you don't go nuts. But as a nurse was it hard for you to be a patient?
Unread 05-24-2002, 09:49 PM

Chuckies, YES!!!!!!!!!Being a patient was very hard! I did not tell anyone I was a nurse. I was once charge nurse on 3-11 at the hospital I had my surgery at. I knew ALOT of people. I did not want to recieve special treatment because I was a nurse. I recieved excellant care. But I also was a good patient because I was in good shape and in good health and I eat right. I did not suffer any post op complications. About 15 minutes before the took the cather out I drank about 1/2 liter of water. Within 5 minutes of them removeing the cath. I peed. I also got up out of bed and walked to the bathroom by myself(not recommended!)I was hunched over but I did it.That was 18 hours after being operated on! As far as working 12 hour shifts not all hospitals do it. But it works out great for me. I work 7am to 7pm. I only work 3 days a week! It is great! Since there is a nursing shortage they are trying ANYTHING (that does not cost them money!) to make us happy!Well take care and keep in touch. Angela

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register