Confused about TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Confused about TAH Confused about TAH

Unread 10-01-2000, 11:11 AM
Confused about TAH

I am 38yrs old and my husband and I long ago decided not to have children. He had a vasectomy 5 years ago. On Sept 27 I went to the gyn because of HEAVY bleeding the last 6 months, some back pain, some painful sex, little bit of a belly. (My last visit was in November 1999) I thought he would put me on the pill end of story. Surprise -
An ultrasound revealed a tennis ball sized fibroid attached to back of uterine wall. He said because it grew rapidly, the size, the location, my history of cervical dysplasia, HPV, family history of vaginal and uterine cancer, and my decision not to have children I needed a TAH. I ran through the other options with him and he said no - TAH.
I was in shock - just was not expecting that conversation.
It was so sudden and so drastic. Anyway, at first it sounded good...don't have to worry about cancer, won't have periods etc. A couple of friends told me they were jealous!But now I have read about post-op problems with the bladder, ovaries, orgasms etc. The complications now seem to out way the positives. I have been going to this doctor for 10 years and I thought I trusted him until I started reading. Being informed now means being confused. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2000, 11:21 AM
Confused about TAH

Even though you trust your doctor, a second or even third opinion is a good idea. It is good to ask questions regarding your own health. Many women have done this, and it is a wise thing to do. There could be other options available to you that are less invasive.
Unread 10-01-2000, 03:14 PM
Confused about TAH

Helenr,
Hi! I had many of your symptons and was sure a DNC would cure me!!! Well, I too was shocked when doc suggested hysterectomy. I did have an ultra sounds which backed up his diagnoises and then a diaganostic lap to see if he could help me any that way! He could not! He actually found more problems when he was looking around in there!

I considered a second opinion, but after all the results were in the doc said only way to relieve pain was to have hyst. I had never been to this doc before but he seemed very intelligent and most of all I trusted him!!!

I am NOT sorry! I am about 11 weeks post-op now and feel great! The pain is completely gone! I still have a little soreness , of course, from surgery but I have NO PAIN!!

I too think the 2nd opinion thing is totally up to you!! Your friends have no idea what you are going through. You are the only person who knows how you feel! I think you are lucky to have a doc that you already know and trust and don't have to start from scratch as I did!

Just one sisters opinion! Hope it helps! Good Luck to you in whatever you decide.

By the way, Not all of us have the complications that you see posted here! Thank Goodness! I have had very few and they were manageable! I only wish all of the sisters could have an uneventful surgery, but as we all know life just isn't that way!

I am having some problems with hormones, but eventually they will get better too! This site can be such a support for you! It has been for me! Sorry, I always post a novel!

Good Luck, Deb TAH?BSO 7/17/00 44 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2000, 04:34 PM
Confused about TAH

Helen

I, too, questioned having a hyst after reading about possible complications. And I had 3 ob/gyn second opins. By then I had heard from many women who were very pleased with their post-hyst results. Basically, you don't hear much from them cause how many times can you post "hey, I'm still doing fine!"?

Anyway, at 11 weeks post, I'm still doing fine. I had a supracervical lap hyst (belly-button surgery) so my recovery was quick and relatively painless. However, this is major surgery, and you should feel sure of your decision, as you'll be the only one to live with the results.

I don't miss my broids at all. No more back pain, bladder pressure (and leaking, yuck!), heavy bleeding, looooong periods, etc.

Keep reading and getting info. None of my docs were "insulted" that I was getting second opins. By the time I went to the last one (who ended up doing the surgery) I was one INFORMED consumer.

Good luck - keep us posted!

Dixie Tracy, Fibroid Investigator
SLH 7/11/00
Unread 10-01-2000, 05:12 PM
Confused about TAH

I had my TAH/BSO on 8/18 due to large fibroids and also had a bladder repair (MMK) due to leaking. Six weeks post-op now and can report that all is well (yes, even orgasms). The horror stories can be daunting, but mostly you will hear positive stuff. You have to do what you have to do, but I am not sorry at all. My waist line is smaller too.

Unread 10-03-2000, 08:01 PM
Confused about TAH

Thank you for your responses. I decided to stop reading and just relax!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register