lupron???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-05-2009, 05:36 PM
lupron????

So I was told I needed a hyster by one do then the second said I was to young, I am 32 I have two kids already and do not want more, So he said I need a lupron shot and that would show if the hyster would help or not, I asked him about the shot I never herd of it, he said most women like it so much that that they stay on it instead of having a hyster.
From what I have read it is a horrible drug!!! I am so freaked out now that I have it, I had the 11.25mg three month shot! I am so terrified what is in store, I am just wondering if anyone has ever had a good experience with this stuff? please help I am freaking out!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Re: lupron????

Hi Westin 913,

I did (3) months of lupron shots to shrink my fibroids enough for a less invasive, laparoscopic hyst (LSH). For me...lupron was a success. I am still pleased with my LSH results.

Yes...lupron does cause temporary chemical menopause. I had hot flashes and night sweats. I just did my best to make lupron a lifestyle for awhile. And lupron helped shrink my fibroids, it helped to decrease the pelvic pressure from my fibroids so I was physically more comfortable and my blood count went up before my surgery since I had been experiencing very heavy periods and my periods stopped. And I stopped having hot flashes and night sweats right before my hyst..and I have not had any since.

In my case, my Dr. only wanted me on lupron for (3) months. My Dr. felt that long term use of lupron can cause some bone loss since it does cause chemical menopause.

Also, from my research and in talking with my Dr....lupron is a band-aid...a temporary fix for the gyneo problem. My Dr. told me that if I had chosen to not do my hyst after my (3) months on lupron....most likely my fibroids would have grown back after the lupron was out of my system. So...your Dr. saying that patients stay on lupron long term...yeah...I might question that.

Hope that helps. In the end..just do what is best for you.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 09-05-2009, 06:14 PM

I loved the lupron shots. Mind you, I am 51 years old, but I wasn't in menopause yet. I had no adverse reactions. The only thing that happened was that I stopped bleeding 24/7 and the cramps went away. You can't stay on the drug forever because of a variety of health risks, but if it solves your problem, it's worth a try. I, too, read all the scary stuff on the internet. It taught me not to take everything you read at face value. All of us are different. Lupron may not be right for you, but it was wonderful for me. If it weren't for the cancer that was detected two months after I had started the lupron, I wouldn't have needed a hysterectomy. Best of luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2009, 08:19 PM
I am a stress case! please help

My doc wants me on lupron for 6 months, I have herd so muh bad stuff about this drug, had I known all of this I would have never let my do talk me into it! or I would have asked for a one month shot not 3!!!!!! I am so angery that he told me how great it was! I feel let down and put aside. I would just like to hear some good stories about gals who had a good or semi-good out come! so if you know any PLEASE PLEASE share I really could use a pick me up!
Unread 09-05-2009, 09:28 PM

All i can say is go to there site and read for your self from the company what they say on side effects. There are a lot of horrible side effects and the drug only gives reilef to 55 percent of the people that take it so just make sure you want it befor you get the shot.
good luck
hugs
Lisa
Unread 09-06-2009, 01:36 PM

My Dr. told me as well I will have to have the Lupron shots. However, I have to have them after my surgery and because I can not take hormones. This due to the fact that I had blood clots in my lungs last year at 31. She seemed very calm about it, I suppose due to the fact that she as well had the blood clots and a hysterectomy right after that. She did not seem concerned. Should I be? Right now she is planning on "trying" to keep my left ovary so that I do not have to go through menapause right now. I have a bad feeling that it will go as well. . So I as well would like any info. on this drug and what I am to look foward to. I did look on the site for it but it is also nice to know perdsonal experiances. Thank you so much!

Autumn
Unread 09-06-2009, 01:55 PM

I just wanted to follow-up to my last reply about the lupron and mention that it had one unexpected benefit for me. I used to get a little sad for no reason every so often. One week on lupron and the sadness disappeared. I had two doses of the drug (I was supposed to have three, but then I had to have the hysterectomy). My doctor told me that my slight depression was obviously hormonal since I reacted so positively to the lupron. Here I've gone through lupron, an oblation procedure, and now a hysterectomy and though I have up and down moments as I recover, my depression is GONE! Lupron works differently for every woman so take everything you read and make your own decision. For me, lupron was great.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register