pre abdominal myomectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pre abdominal myomectomy pre abdominal myomectomy

Unread 11-22-2011, 10:56 PM
pre abdominal myomectomy

Hi there,

I have decided to be upfront, open and to the point.
Just over 4 years ago I noted that my abdomen has distended. Very unusal shape! Didnt think too much about it, decided to cut back on calories, but the funny shaped which did not flatten.

I found that if I ate a normal size meal, I felt like I had overeaten and my food would literally pass through me! I had to wear pads. I dealt with this issue by eating less, and not seeking medical advice. However, the eating less did not always work. In the meantime, I decided to have a private medical which I could do through my workplace. I explained the situation to my doctor, she gave the opinion that I have fibroids and refered me to a clinic and to my GP. The clinic confirmed this and advised me to do nothing, my GP told me the same, wait until I go through menopause. I decided to take their advice and by regulating my eating and wearing pads, I got better at managing my dilema.
In that time, I had a job offer to go and work overseas, so left the UK. To cut a long story short, once working abroad I confided in a friend about my dilema, because she noticed I hardly ate when we were out! My friend was an assistant to a Ob/Gyn.

This Ob/Gyn has monitored my fibroids for just under 4 years, my largest fibroid is (when I first knew of the fibroids the largest was 8cm in 2007) now 11cm I have 7 other large ones and they have stopped counting! I have a belly which is equivalent to 3 month pregnancy. I had an MRI scan in Sept 2011, and Ob/Gyn has said to me, she does not know how I have lived with this condition for so long, (all I can say is FEAR - as I did not want a hysterectomy, which seemed to be the option) - she suggested now is a good time to take them out. Ob/Gyn explained UFE to me, and I spoke to someone who had that procedure. I was happy to go along with this, however, after my MRI, Ob/Gyn told me, it wasnt possible as my largest fibroid that is pressing down on my rectum and causing so much problems is outside my womb.

Right now I am taking Lupron, had my 2nd injection November 15. This is my second time I am scheduled for an op, as I went through the Lupron requirements 2 years ago, then told my Ob/Gyn I do not want to go through with the surgery. She has been so patient with me! Now I surrender

Ob/Gyn has explained to me about the option of abdominal myomectomy, leaving my ovaries. Surgery is scheduled for end of January.

Right now I am waivering, one side saying go for it, get these suckers out, cannot stand it anymore, the other side is saying, I dont want no invasive surgery and I do not want to be layed up in bed being waited on (by hubby). I am a fitness franatic, workout: and very independent!

Since typing this I actually feel more positive, and hope to hear from all of you who have been through or perhaps your op is imminent like mine.

I so welcome your views and experiences.

In all this I have to give glory to my Lord, because in the time I have known of these fibroids I believe He has brought situations, people into my life to get me where He wants me to be - HEALED in the way He wants me to get my healing!!

Thanks dwbeulah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2011, 02:04 AM
Re: pre abdominal myomectomy

Hello dwbeulah, and Welcome!

This is a great site. I've learned a lot, have received some great advice and wonderful support.

After a long and painful journey, I was diagnosed with fibroids in late 2001. My fibroids, in addition to being large and causing uncomfortable pressure, resulted in very frequent and heavy periods. I was dangerously anemic and had to get that under control before I could have surgery. Depo-Provera was used to stop my periods and shrink the fibroids, and mega doses of iron with Vitamin-C were needed for several months to fix the anemia.

I had a myomectomy via hysteroscopy and had 2 monster fibroids removed. There turned out to be several other much smaller fibroids present that remained behind. I came out of surgery with some cramping. I expect I would have been ready to go back to work sooner if they hadn't screwed up the pain meds - that was my only complication and my codeine allergy landed me in the ER for several hours. Even so, I was back at work in under a week.

My sister had a tennis ball sized external fibroid removed Laparoscopically and needed some home assistance for a few days, but was back at work full time in 2 weeks. She had no complications.

I had an abdominal hysterectomy 1 week ago with no complications. I'm feeling great - easily fatigued and frequently napping, typical post surgery discomfort with manageable pain and ordered to avoid stairs, long walks, housework, driving ..... and reliant on husband and teen for at least another week before some of the restrictions are lifted. I take a short turn around the house several times a day: fixing a snack, refilling my water bottle, using the toilet and other minor things. It hasn't been that bad. I have my lap top and the cat curls up next to me. while I doze. I put this surgery off for a long time because of time - I'm self employed and was afraid of missing possible new clients and of potential lost income. In this economy, that is a very tangible fear. This past spring and summer, it became evident that the health problems I was suffering (and there were many) were starting to affect my work and meeting current client deadlines. The fear of maybe losing existing clients was worse than the fear of missing out on potential new ones. When I started adding up my down time due to my health issues it made the recovery time seem relatively trivial. I felt well enough today to return calls to clients even though they weren't expecting to hear from me for another week. My husband and daughter have stepped up to the plate and taken charge of all the housework that used to be my responsibility without complaint - or in the case if the teen, very little. Give them a chance to play hero!

I'm no fitness fanatic but I hate sitting still for long, I enjoy taking the dogs for long walks and am fiercely independent. BUT - there comes a time when quality of life is impacted because of health issues and you just need to take the bull by the horns and get it taken care of.

I wish you all the best with your upcoming surgery. Take Care
Unread 11-23-2011, 05:34 AM

I have a situation very similiar to yours. Distended, weird shape abdomen, bowel issues, back pain, fatique - all due to large fibroids.

I had a myomectomy 10 years ago to remove fibroids when I was 39. They're back and even worse that before and a myomectomy is not an option. Nor is having it done laproscopically. Even if I waited it out until menopause, they doctor said they might shrink some but not enough to make a difference.

You don't say how old you are. If you're close to menopause (within a few years) then it might make sense just to do the myomectomy, since even if they come back they aren't as likely to get very large before menopause. Otherwise, you risk the chance of having them return and needing further surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2011, 08:32 AM

Debbie0613

I may have mentioned this before, but we have very similar stories at roughly the same ages. I think you summed it up very well.

I just heard the pathology report on my uterus yesterday and it turns out I had adenomyosis, too. From what I've read, this is a major pain producer, as well. I'm confident that most of my pain issues were removed with the uterus.

Take care and best of luck with your upcoming surgery.
Unread 11-23-2011, 10:39 AM

Thanks McLila and Debbie 0613, for your advice and sharing your experience.

I am 47, having been aware that I had fibroids just over 4 years, my GP advised me that they had been there years, but he couldnt be specific, at that time. OBN/GY guessed around 10 years - due to their size!

GP advised wait for my menopause, but when will that happen?! Again that was back in 2007! Now I feel the time has come to say 'blast' those suckers, because going to the loo (British expression ) is a major mission of fear the medical term I found out is called 'mild' rectocele!!

Thankfully the Lupron side effects are not too bad and it seems my body is coping quiet well with it!

Will continue to check into the site and keep updating my progress.
Unread 11-27-2011, 05:01 AM

Hi Ladies, I would appreciate your thoughts, experiences please. I will be as brief and too the point as possible.

I work overseas (originally from the UK) I have just found out that (althought I am able to) I cannot have a laproscopic myomectomy because it is not available in the company I work for. They can offer an abdominal myomectomy.

The pros and cons

- I go home to the UK by referal to a consultant who can carry out the laproscopic, but my support group will be sparse.
- husband would have to stay overseas to work.
- In the UK I live in an apartment block 2nd floor no lift.
- I'll be in the apartment alone, friends and family work during the week.
- faster recovery
- not so invasive

Staying overseas to have the abdominal
- invasive procedure
- slower recovery
- support group maximum
- hospital is on site
- easy access to medical staff if required

If anyone has had both of these ops, I would be glad to hear your views.

Thanks.
Unread 11-27-2011, 09:34 AM

dwbeulah,

Wow! Very difficult decision. I think that would depend on where I was overseas and how I felt about the health care there. I lived in Namibia for a little over 2 years and would think hard about having this surgery there. Johannesburg or Cape town maybe, Windhoek only if absolutely necessary, the town where I lived - never in a million years - no matter how great my support group was.

If the quality of the health care can be considered to be equal, and recovery time wasn't a big issue, I think I would stay where I had the most support.

Comparing myomectomy with hysterectomy is apples to oranges, I know - BUT here I go anyway. I had TAH almost 2 weeks ago now and I feel pretty good, but still have a ways to go before 100%. I've noticed that many of my sisters who had Lap or da Vinci are complaining a great deal more about painful gas than those of us who had abdominal. I guess that's a trade off for faster recovery.

Good lick with that decision.
Unread 12-01-2011, 08:23 AM
pre abdominal myomectomy

I'm schedule for myomectomy on 12/9.... Im nervous, but know that the light is at the end of the tunnel.... Best of luck to you. I'll update after my surgery.

I have decided to be upfront, open and to the point.
Just over 4 years ago I noted that my abdomen has distended. Very unusal shape! Didnt think too much about it, decided to cut back on calories, but the funny shaped which did not flatten.

I found that if I ate a normal size meal, I felt like I had overeaten and my food would literally pass through me! I had to wear pads. I dealt with this issue by eating less, and not seeking medical advice. However, the eating less did not always work. In the meantime, I decided to have a private medical which I could do through my workplace. I explained the situation to my doctor, she gave the opinion that I have fibroids and refered me to a clinic and to my GP. The clinic confirmed this and advised me to do nothing, my GP told me the same, wait until I go through menopause. I decided to take their advice and by regulating my eating and wearing pads, I got better at managing my dilema.
In that time, I had a job offer to go and work overseas, so left the UK. To cut a long story short, once working abroad I confided in a friend about my dilema, because she noticed I hardly ate when we were out! My friend was an assistant to a Ob/Gyn.

This Ob/Gyn has monitored my fibroids for just under 4 years, my largest fibroid is (when I first knew of the fibroids the largest was 8cm in 2007) now 11cm I have 7 other large ones and they have stopped counting! I have a belly which is equivalent to 3 month pregnancy. I had an MRI scan in Sept 2011, and Ob/Gyn has said to me, she does not know how I have lived with this condition for so long, (all I can say is FEAR - as I did not want a hysterectomy, which seemed to be the option) - she suggested now is a good time to take them out. Ob/Gyn explained UFE to me, and I spoke to someone who had that procedure. I was happy to go along with this, however, after my MRI, Ob/Gyn told me, it wasnt possible as my largest fibroid that is pressing down on my rectum and causing so much problems is outside my womb.

Right now I am taking Lupron, had my 2nd injection November 15. This is my second time I am scheduled for an op, as I went through the Lupron requirements 2 years ago, then told my Ob/Gyn I do not want to go through with the surgery. She has been so patient with me! Now I surrender

Ob/Gyn has explained to me about the option of abdominal myomectomy, leaving my ovaries. Surgery is scheduled for end of January.

Right now I am waivering, one side saying go for it, get these suckers out, cannot stand it anymore, the other side is saying, I dont want no invasive surgery and I do not want to be layed up in bed being waited on (by hubby). I am a fitness franatic, workout: and very independent!

Since typing this I actually feel more positive, and hope to hear from all of you who have been through or perhaps your op is imminent like mine.

I so welcome your views and experiences.

In all this I have to give glory to my Lord, because in the time I have known of these fibroids I believe He has brought situations, people into my life to get me where He wants me to be - HEALED in the way He wants me to get my healing!!

Thanks dwbeulah[/quote]
Unread 02-06-2012, 08:45 PM

Get the myomectomy. I promise it is not that bad. I am only 27 days post op. I was in hospital on moriphine for 3 days, very little pain. I did throw up because of nausea associated with anesthesia but they gave me something for that. The most painful part is when your bowel wakes up from surgery and your first attempt to go to the bathroom. OUCH. I cried out loud in pain, but after I went I felt like a new lady! I went home and took it wasy for a week (no lifting) but took care of myself (food, showers etc) and my little dogs...in other words I was not completely dependent on my boyfriend. Day 13 I went to work half day, light paperwork job and walked a mile (slowly). My scar is straight, about 5 inches right above my hair line. Not nearly as bad as my mind imagined. Vicodin helped with the pain for a week after surgery and then I didnt need it anymore.

The fibroids dont go away. They get worse. Trust me. I avoided it for a long time...until I was hospitalized with anemia, needed blood transfusion and 10 iron treatments. You will feel so much better. A good surgeon knows what to do.
Unread 02-07-2012, 03:15 AM

Thanks Goldyee, I am scheduled for my myomectomy March 28. Found a surgeon who is highly respected and had numerous fantastic reviews. I am comfortable and confident in his capabilities. Will keep the site updated as I pre op and post op. I am thanking God for leading me in this direction.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register