Oh HELP, now it's a TAH, not a TVH! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Oh HELP, now it's a TAH, not a TVH! Oh HELP, now it's a TAH, not a TVH!

Unread 02-21-2003, 12:17 PM
Oh HELP, now it's a TAH, not a TVH!

I just got back from my pre-op appt. with my dr. and despite 3 months of Lupron, my uterus has not shrunk enough for her to safely remove it vaginally, so I'm getting a TAH-BSO afterall. It was not good news since I'm considered high risk for blood clots. But my assured me she will be taking every precaution, I'll get elastic socks to wear and also something that will go on my legs that squeezes and releases every few seconds to keep the circulation going. She said she's going to do a bikini cut (not that I can wear one, lol!).

So I guess I'd better read up on TAH Princesses instead of the TVH! I'm a tad more nervous about the surgery than I was before, but I'll be soooo relieved to be on the other side of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2003, 12:40 PM

I don't think your risk now is substantially different than what it was. Everyone, to some extent, is vulnerable to blood clots after any surgery. I wasn't considered "at risk" but I had the squeeze thing for a while (felt good I thought). I don't think they gave me elastic socks for my TAH (3 years ago), but I had them for a C-section.

To avoid blood clots, it will be important for you to get up as soon as possible after surgery (the nurses will help you )and move around when you are home. Don't stay in one position too long.
Unread 02-21-2003, 12:58 PM

Thanks for the reply. My risk for clots is probably due to the enormous clots I had with my fibroids and it could also be more of a risk because I'm very overweight. I don't know if that has a bearing on it or not. My said what you did about moving around and said they'd have me up the day after surgery for my first walk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2003, 01:22 PM
I understand

I originally wanted a TVH, but wasn't a canitdate for it. After speaking with my dr. I am glad I am having the TAH. Not because I want it more, but because I feel safer about it.

I guess it can be comman to get to close to the bladder and cut it and it will leak. My dr. said she has had that happen with TVH, but never TAH. I also want her to be able to see better and make sure there is nothing else going on in there.

My surgery is the 25th so just around the corner.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register