Surgery date schedued | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery date schedued Surgery date schedued

Unread 11-08-2004, 03:28 PM
Surgery date schedued

I just came from my Dr. and after realizing I am not a candidate for ablation, he scheduled my TAH for 11/19. I am really nervous about pain management after the surgery, since I had Demerol after previous surgeries. It simply knocked me out and made me really "loopy" and I had alot of memory loss from the meds. How long do you really need strong IV meds? What about once I get home? Is the pain as bad as I am anticipating?? How long will I need best rest, etc. I ahve 3 children under 6, and my husband works in Pittsburgh(we live in FLorida), he is only home on weekends. Anyone that can give me some insight about what I can ecpect will be greatly appreciated.

You are all wonderful people for sharing your experiences .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2004, 11:27 PM
Surgery date schedued

Hi bernall Since you're now scheduled for a hyst, I've moved your post over here to the Pre Op board, where other pre op ladies can share their experiences.

Everyone's experience with pain management is different. I agree with you that some of the pain meds they offer at the hospital just make you loopy and don't really address the pain. I found that frustrating when I had a morphine PCA after my hyst. After colon surgery a year later, I had Dilaudid in the PCA and felt it was a little better. But my favorite is IV toradol -- it let me keep my wits about me.

Everyone is different about meds at home, too. My personal preference is to try to avoid the narcotic pain meds because they are constipating, at a time when your main goal in life will be to have a bowel movement (can you imagine? ). I like oral toradol, but they only give it for a few days. Then I like Vioxx, which we can't get anymore , but perhaps your DR has other ideas. Many ladies do stay on Vicodin or Percocet or similar narcotics for a week or two at home and then switch over to something like 800mg Motrin.

I think you are going to need someone with you at home the first week or two to help with the kids. I am a single mom, and had to have my kids stay with their dad for the first two weeks after my hyst. No way could I have done the shuttling to and from school and other activities, and the bending and stretching involved in doing laundry and cooking meals. It was all I could do to microwave something for myself. I ate off paper plates so I wouldn't have to unload the dishwasher and put the dishes away (too much reaching). I had help going to the grocery store and doing any household chores that absolutely had to be done when I wasn't ready to do them yet. Do you have any relatives that could come stay with you? Or at least friends and neighbors who can be with you during the day and perhaps drive the kids to school?

I'm sure other ladies will be by to share their experiences. Good luck with your surgery!

s,
-Linda
Unread 11-09-2004, 01:24 PM
Surgery date schedued

I have been told Toradol is better than the morphine so I am going to ask for that. My surgery is the same day as yours so good luck to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register