UTI? or Abdomen infection | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

UTI? or Abdomen infection UTI? or Abdomen infection

Unread 02-21-2008, 07:20 AM
UTI? or Abdomen infection

I am 6 weeks PO. Had LAVH surgery 1/7/08. Wore cath for 5 days. Felt really good first 2 weeks. After 2nd week 1 of my incisions got infected and was not closing up. At week 3 incision had to be cleaned out (had terrible stench)and put on Bactrim antibiotic. I went on Monday for 6 weeks PO. Dr released me even though I still have alot of tenderness in abdomen, slight fever, low back & butt pain and tired. Could the infection have gotten into my abdomen? Ultrsound showed no evidence if so. Today I feel really crappy!! Not sure if I might have UTI. I've been drinking cranberry juice for weeks.I'm thinking of calling GP today. Don't know if I should or not. Can it just be part of healing? How long does it take to fully recover?? I'm so ready for this to be over. Sorry so long!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2008, 08:24 AM

I would definitley call. I had a post op infection that got very serious and the consequence wasn't good. My symptoms included feeling yucky, a low grade fever especially at night and in the end a tender abdomen.

It never hurts to check things out. Your fever is a way that your body is telling you something is not right. If there is a probelm catching it early is the best option.

Good Luck,

Starbgirl
Unread 02-21-2008, 09:01 AM

Thank you!! I will make the call. I just hate to be a baby. But I know how I feel and it just ain't right. I tend to aire on cautious side but we just had a friend that lost his mother to sepsis and she was a nurse. I don't think we can be too cautious when it comes to our bodies. Especially when it is sending us signals.
Did they do a CT scan on you? How did they know it was an infection? You can send me a private email at angelee@alltel.net if you don't mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2008, 10:20 AM

I'm so sorry about your friends mom. I'm glad your being cautious as this is nothing to mess with. This is what just happened to me. My Dr let me know that I easily could have died and that I got to him in just the nick of time.

The first infection (in Nov with my TVH) was diagnosed by CT scan. It was an infection of the vaginal cuff plus I had fluid in my abdomen.I had two scans to watch it's progress. Both my Dr and I felt it had resolved and I was feeling good. Maybe it did resolve as my next infection my Dr thinks was from something different. Fast forward to Feb 5th. I woke up with a little stich in my side. I didn't think anything of it and went to work anyway. During the day it got stronger and eventually around 3pm I started not feeling too good. Around 5pm I gave my Dr a call and asked if I could come in to see him in the morning for the pain. When I got up the next morning (after a sleepless night) I fainted. I felt awful!! By then I knew something was very wrong. By the time I got to my Dr at 8:30 am I was already septic. My BP was 80/50 the reason for my fainting. In any case case I was hospitalized and had surgery after they spent a couple of days trying to get me healthy enough to go to the operating room. When my Dr got in there it was so much worse than he thought. I had two huge abdominal ascesses that encompassed my ovaries, tubes and appendix. I of course lost all those parts. Wah!!The whole mess was adhered to my bowels. My Dr had to call in another type of surgeon to dissect the mess off of my intestines. I needed two blood tranfusions to get through surgery. and of course I got a lovely hip-to-hip incision as a badge!

Tomorrow I will be 2 weeks out from this past surgery and because of the extensive bowel repairs I will have a much longer recovery this time. I am of course so grateful to be here but this has been very hard. Emotionally, physically and financially!

I wish what happened to me on no one. That is why I of course (and I realize my opinion is jaded) want everyone to thouroughly check out any and all symtoms that just don't seem quite right.

Let me know what happens and I'll keep you in my prayers,

Starbgirl

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register