Tremendous Lower Back Pain | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Tremendous Lower Back Pain Tremendous Lower Back Pain

Unread 04-21-2004, 09:23 AM
Tremendous Lower Back Pain

I am scheduled for a TAH/RSO on June 8th and although, I am literally scared to death, I am waiting for the day to come when I can do the

I currently have my period. I have never experienced lower back pain during my period, however, I am having LBP, like something I have never had before.

I'd rather have cramps than suffer like this :cry:

I slept on a heating pad last night (when I slept) and still woke up this morning with just as severe pain as yesterday. I am currently taking Motrin(800mg).

Now, I am not a complainer, but, boy oh boy, could I just sit down and boohoo right now. I am at work and my chair is a straightback, which I thought would be a good thing, but I am still hurting.

I don't believe I have a bladder infection, but I was just wondering if there is anyone else out there in the world of HysterS's who suffer from back pain as well and could give me some pointers.

TIA ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2004, 09:30 AM

i've had lower back pain, mostly in my left hip for the past 6 years. there are heating wraps available everywhere that activate when you open them. i can't remember what they're called but they stay hot (not too) for about 8 hours. and you can wear under your clothes. hope they help. they're in the analgesic isle.
Unread 04-21-2004, 09:32 AM

Hi Emm ~ Thank you for your quick response.

I have seen those wraps you spoke of and have wondered if they do indeed work. I'll have to give them a try.

Thank you, again!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2004, 09:39 AM

Tia,

I am sharing your pain, and let me tell you it *****. I use heating pads, take warm baths, and I even bought one of those kneading shiatsu massagers. OMG! Do I love that thing, it feels sooo good on the lower back.
I was using the over the counter pain meds, normally 3 Aleve takes care of my pain, but that got to where it did not help. Was told to switch to 800mg Motrin for mild to moderate pain, and the ER dr put me on Vicodin for severe pain. My dr, when I went in to see him, took me off the Vicodin because I did not like the loopy and goofy drugged up feeling, also took me off the Motrin, and put me on Darvoset. That seems to work for the most part.

Since from the way it sounds you have a sit down job right. It might be worth the $20. or so dolloars to get one of those massagers. It is made by Homedics, you can find them almost anywhere. Also might be worth a shot to call your dr and see if you can't get something a bit stronger than Motrin.

Kedi
Unread 04-21-2004, 09:52 AM

Hi Kedi ~ I will head to WM tonight, once I get off of work and see if I can find the massager in which you speak of. I have seen those before.

You are right, I sit from 8:30 until 5:00 daily and it is really beginning to effect me, especially now.

Thanks again for the idea
Unread 04-21-2004, 09:53 AM

Hi Tina
Unfortunately I am one of the sisters that suffers Constant lower back pain.
Besides medications, all you can really do is take a hot bath (wouldn't that be interesting at the officd, try to sit with your feet up (I know, hard in an office chair) and like emm said Go get some Playtex ThermaCare pads. In my local department store they are found next to the maxi-pads.

They stick on the outside of your underwear and deliver constant heat. I love them and wear them almost every day.

Hope that helps

Tam
Unread 04-21-2004, 11:08 AM

I have constant lower back pain. No bleeding. Just pelvic pain and lower back pain.

After I had my endometrial ablation, I was pain free for a few years. But it was too good to be true.

I can't take anti-inflammatories. Since I work, I prefer something milder than Vicodin, although I used to take that. Right now, I am on Darvocet.

Occasionally, the pain gets really intense. It feels like Shaquille O'neal's foot is shoved into my pelvis. It takes about 3-4 Darvocets to stop the pain. Then, I'm wiped out from the pills.

The heating pad is my constant companion @ home.

You are not alone !
Unread 04-21-2004, 11:19 AM

It is hard when you work all day as well as sit all day.

I do get up and take a good stretch every now and then, but I fear it will do more damage than good.

Thank you Northlights and Solana2 for your reply as well as suggestions.

Northlights, do you have back pain even when it's not time for your period? I am curious, because throughout all of these years, I have never, ever had a back ache like this. It has me worried.

Everyone at work thinks I need to give my a call, but I think this is just something that goes along with what we are going through.

I work with women from 21 to almost 55 and I am the only one who will have had a Hysterectomy. I am 37, btw.
Unread 04-21-2004, 11:48 AM

Your not alone southern! The lower back pain is the reason this whole problem arose. I went to my dr and told her that I was having really really bad back pains. I thought it was my bed and in 4 months I tried every bed imaginable! From water to soft sided to regular. I never injured my back so I didn't know what it was that was hurting so bad. My dr sent me for a cat scan and they found the tumor on my ovary and a cyst on my left kidney and liver. They said that a total hysterectomy was needed and the probability of having Adeno. was there but can't be diagnosed till after the operation.
Who would have thought. I am due next Tuesday for the trip to the castle and pray that during recovery I will be able to actually be painfree (other then the normal healing pain) from my back.
I have been taken off all pain meds by the surgeon due to the anesthesia. So now its heating pads full time and alot of hot baths!! I hope you can hang in there till you are on the road to recovery.... best wishes.
Unread 04-21-2004, 12:18 PM

Hi again Tina
I have low back pain, all the time. 24/7. It used to be that I would only hurt during my period.
However, as things have progressed, it has gotten to the point that I am always always in pain, except when I'm asleep.

My Prince Charming has said it is because of my insides being fused together from adhesions, as well as all the other "stuff" going on in my pelvis.

If this pain is a new thing for you, maybe a call to your doc might be a good idea. Back pain can be a sign of a kidney infection too.

I hope you make out ok.

and s
Tam

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register