12 days post op and abdominal pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

12 days post op and abdominal pain 12 days post op and abdominal pain

Unread 02-17-2008, 08:19 PM
12 days post op and abdominal pain

Hello,
I recently had a partial hysterectomy on Feb 5th.
Everyone around me were very encouraging and stated that I would have minimal pain due to a vaginal procedure. I have been having abdominal pains (similar to contractions).
I am eating right and have not been constipated.

Is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2008, 08:30 PM

I didn't have a vaginal hysterectomy, but had an abdominal hysterectomy. I had my surgery the day before yours (feb. 4). I definitely have cramping in my abdomen.... it's like this achiness/crampiness. Sometimes it feels similar to my period cramps.

I'm almost off pain meds, so it's not as intense as it has been. But, I definitely DO have the abdominal pain. I get sharp pains every once in a while (but that is if I twist the wrong way or accidentally use my abs or something.)

Since I'm right where you are, I can't say when this will get better, but I am feeling the abdominal pain. I think it's normal to still have pain at 12 and 13 days post-op.

I'll be curious to see what others say, too.

Hang in there.... I'm also not constipated (I'm "going" twice a day now), so I do think this is just recovery pain from surgery.

Take care!
Unread 02-17-2008, 08:42 PM

I did get a few more pain pills called in I hate these cramps.
I feel like I want to push ( child birth)

I hope I can get off the meds soon.
You have been vert encouraging ( thank you )
Unread 02-17-2008, 08:58 PM

I had to get my pain meds refilled last week. I actually went into my doctor and he saw i was in pain still.... he sent me to the ER, too. Long story. I'm OK, so that is good.

Some people just take longer to get rid of the pain than others. Everyone's body reacts differently to pain, and I've discovered that through this site. So, just make sure you manage the pain, and if you think the pain is getting worse, I would really encourage you to go to your doc. I don't think the pain should be getting worse.... I do think it's not unusual to have "good days" and "bad days".

My doctor even said to me that I might find I take 2 steps forward and then one step back (ie, have a bad day after a couple good days).

But, if you feel the pain is getting worse, or not even getting slightly better, I would encourage you to make an appt. with your doctor.

That is what I did. I was 8 days post-op, and I was having some pain related issues, and I felt it was not normal. So, I went into my doctor, and after 6 hours in the ER, we all came to the conclusion that it was just pain related, so my doctor refilled my pain meds, and now I'm doing MUCH better. My doctor told me that if my pain is NOT better by this weekend (I went to see him last Tuesday) to go back to the ER.

So, that told me that my pain should have gotten better, and it did.... rigth now, I'm stretching my pain meds out about 12 hours apart, so I'm almost off.... not quite there yet, but close.

So, if you feel your pain is getting slightly better.... even if it's just a little bit, i think that is normal. But, if it's getting worse or not getting better, but staying the same, you should go to your doctor or to the ER.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Good luck!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register