DaVinci hysterectomy incisions inside and out? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

DaVinci hysterectomy incisions inside and out? DaVinci hysterectomy incisions inside and out?

Unread 11-07-2014, 07:57 AM
DaVinci hysterectomy incisions inside and out?

Hello. 17 days post op. I had davinci so I have four incisions on my belly but also read the surgery report and have vag incisions - that is how they removed the uterus, tubes, one ovary, and cervix. I am still hurting whenever I try to sit upright for more than a few hours. I have a few questions if anyone can be so kind to spare a moment I'd love some feedback. (1) is it normal that I have the davinci incisions on my belly AND the vaginal incisions? (2) why are my hip bones/hip muscles so sore? (3) why did they take my cervix? Definitely not mentioned pre-op. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2014, 08:04 AM
Re: DaVinci incisions inside and out?

1. Yes. We all have internal incisions.

2. They cut ligaments in your pelvis during the surgery. And your position during surgery might be contributing.

3. You would have to ask your Dr. But if they left it, you would likely have a mini-period.
Unread 11-07-2014, 08:23 AM

Thank you for the quick reply! I am surprised it is taking longer than I thought it would to heal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2014, 08:49 AM

My doctor asked if I wanted my cervix or not. I asked him why? He said if I didn't have it I didn't need to have pap smears each year. So that is a plus. Some think if you have it will hold up parts, but the doctor does that with his stitches. I have not urinated this good in years!
I am 22 days post op with same surgery. Seems like as soon as the outside incisions healed new things inside started to feel different. I have had at least two weeks of soreness on near my six pack on right as doctor put it "six pack". It was close to that muscle system. I have one spot near where cervix was that is picky feeling. And I don't know if you have this my area down there itches. Ugh. Don't think yeast infection because the med doesn't seem to touch it. I figure it is a mixture of washing so much, leakage, and pads. So I mix it up a lot. Any one else?
Unread 11-07-2014, 09:02 AM
Re: DaVinci hysterectomy incisions inside and out?

I have five incisions on my belly, and incisions inside as well. From how my doc explained it, the robot, and my doc each had two entry points, one for the camera too. They did all the work laparoscopically, then cut off the vagina at the cervix and shoved everything through there (since it's big enough to accommodate all that stuff). Okay, maybe my wording is a bit different than my doc, but you get the picture!

I'm not feeling pain so much anymore, but acknowledging that something is different in there, and I do feel my inside incisions every once in a while. It is hardest to sit upright, that's when I do feel some pain, don't know why. I'd rather lounge or walk around.

I did ask about the cervix before hand, but with laparoscopic surgery they have to take out the cervix, so they can take everything out of the vagina. I should have done more research, I'm 50 and though I live in So Cal I don't wear bikinis to the beach... I wouldn't have objected to a scar, but This is the surgery my doc recommended, and I felt really comfortable with her treatment plan. I haven't come to a conclusion yet about leaving the cervix or not. If cutting it out is merely a convenience to do the daVinci, then I'm not sure that was the right option. I intend to ask her during my post op. Too late now for me, but I'll let y'all know what her theory on that is.

Take it easy, and let yourself heal LORY!
Unread 11-07-2014, 09:05 AM

I think the cervix is automatically taken out unless you specifically ask for it to be left in.
Unread 11-07-2014, 09:49 AM

They can leave the cervix during a DaVinci procedure, it just involves taking the uterus and any other parts out through an incision rather than the vagina. Because I had a sacrocolpopexy at the same time as my hysterectomy (for bladder prolapse) my urologist wanted my cervix to be left in place, since he believes that it provides more pelvic stability and less chance of a vaginal vault prolapse later. However, I have a history of cervical dysplasia, so my Gyn wanted the cervix gone. I agreed with my Gyn and had it removed.
Unread 11-07-2014, 04:55 PM

I had a Davinci and the plan was to leave my cervix (taking everything out in pieces through one of the small abdominal incisions) but my uterus was so boggy when she got in there, she said everything just "fell apart" and she couldn't sew the top inside of the cervix to close it because it kept coming off in pieces, so she had to remove it too. I think there are lots that keep the cervix, it's just if they find complications during that you may not get notified first.
Also, the cuff takes a while to heal, because it's not open to air, so it won't be healed until well after the belly incisions are. My stitches were 12 week dissolvable and tissues were still healing at 5 months out because of scar tissue formation.
Unread 11-07-2014, 05:10 PM

I had single incision da Vinci and my doc asked whether I wanted to keep my cervix. I like docs who give choices, so asked what are the advantages/disadvantages. I decided I didn't want to have to worry about pap smears or cervical cancer, or mini periods so he took it along with uterus and tubes. My ovaries stayed put, even though I'm close if not in menopause. It's been hard to tell with all the bleeding, water weight gain every month, etc. I'm definitely at an age where I should be in menopause.
Unread 11-07-2014, 09:54 PM

I am 8 days post op here with five incisions on my belly that are now starting to itch like crazy from the healing process, and one inner incision with the cuff of my cervix, but she took everything but the ovaries, leaving those for the hormones and menopause. I only have mild discomfort from the inside incision when I move a certain way, cough, laugh, fart, or have been standing or walking for too long.

Before the surgery I discussed with my doctor what was going and what was staying. She said the uterus, of course, was going and the cervix went with it because "it was a package deal". She also removed the tubes, even though I've had a tubal, because she said they are finding that the tube are like the "birth place" of ovarian cancer, at least that is where it seems to start, and once it grows onto the ovaries, it is usually too late.

My sister had hysterectomies 5 and 6 years ago. She actually started out with endometrial ablation to help with her endometriosis. This did not bring any relief, so she had a partial hysterectomy where her doctor removed her uterus. She still continued to bleed, and had to go back in to have her cervix removed. (She was not happy to have the second surgery. She told me to make sure my cervix was removed at the same time as my uterus because of what she had to go through. She also did not have the laparoscopic or robotic surgery for either surgery. So the surgeries were more painful.) She stayed with me when I was in the hospital last week for my hysterectomy and spoke with my doctor, comparing notes with her surgery. Now she is thinking her doctor probably left her tubes in, and is pretty mad at the prospect of maybe having to go in to have those removed.

Someone mentioned that the inner incision took longer to heal because it is inside and not exposed to air. This makes a lot of sense and probably why even though I am feeling pretty good, I am not allowed to return to work until Dec. 1.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register