5 days post hysterectomy stitch pulled? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 days post hysterectomy stitch pulled? 5 days post hysterectomy stitch pulled?

Unread 03-18-2017, 02:33 PM
5 days post hysterectomy stitch pulled?

I'm 5 days post surgery. Had total hysterectomy and prolapse repair.
I've had totally liquid diarrhea since Thursday. I think one of my stitches in my perineum has pulled from sitting on the toilet. Im supposed to be removing my vaginal packing and catheter Monday... Being the weekend I can't call the office today or tomorrow... Should I not mess with removing anything and try to get into the office instead in hopes she can replace the stitch or is it too late? My new vagina is already ruined?
The whole ordeal has been a mess for me. I woke up from anesthesia easily, but when I got to my room and was reading my post op instructions I flipped out on the nurse when I read I was going home with a catheter, and would have it for a week... NOONE ever mentioned that to me. Vaginal packing, yes, catheter, no. The first night in the hospital the stupid thing got kinked and I ended up with a super full bladder and in excruciating pain for hours even with extra narcotics. Coming home and being useless is pretty hard for me. My girls want to cuddle, I can't. We've figured out a way for me to lay down and then lay next time for love, but it's not the same for them and it's especially been hard for the baby. I've been good about following my restrictions though, I'm still in pain, especially since I forget to take my pain pills on time almost every time. I've lost 7 lbs since coming home. Part of that I'm sure was water weight, but I haven't had an appetite at all...
That was a lot of rambling, but I haven't checked in since surgery at all... So there it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2017, 05:08 AM
Re: 5 days post hysterectomy stitch pulled?

I didn't have stitches in the perineum, so I can't speak to what you might need to do with that. I'd still try to call the after-hours number.

What's more concerning is the liquid diarrhea you're having. If you're taking a stool softener (many of us take them at our doctors' recommendations), stop for now - you don't need it. One of the unfortunate things about the antibiotics they give us during surgery is that they can kill off the good bacteria making it easier for infections to take a hold in our digestive systems, urinary tracts or vaginally. You really need to contact your doctor about checking for a C. Diff Infection after Hysterectomy. Meanwhile, switch to the classic BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce and toast) or at least keep your food intake bland and simple. Also add a probiotic to your diet with yogurt containing the L acidophilus culture. Drink plenty of water so you don't become dehydrated, and with your diarrhea, considering adding electrolytes like PowerAde or Gatorade.

Yes, to fight the pain, the recommendation is to stick with a schedule on taking pain pills in order to stay on top of/ahead of the pain. Once pain gets the upper hand, it's harder to get it back under control. Between the narcs and ibuprofen and other things I was taking, I HAD to write it all down in a notepad. Some Sisters set reminders on their phones. This is one you can fix .

Update us when you can. Do phone in your ongoing diarrhea.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register