Decision time. To do it or not to do it? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Decision time. To do it or not to do it? Decision time. To do it or not to do it?

Unread 09-28-2015, 06:31 PM
Decision time. To do it or not to do it?

Hello, my name is Angela. I am 45 and have never been able to carry or give birth to a baby. I got through all of that and we have been blessed with raising our nephew. Now I am at the point of deciding on having a hysterectomy or not because of fibroids. I have had fibroid removal before (prior to fertility treatments several years ago). My fibroids came back, like they usually do for anyone. After a sonogram the other day at my yearly GYN appt., my doctor said that there are numerous fibroids, but that my uterus is still only enlarged to about an 8-10 weeks size (it has been that size forever it seems). In the last year I have had irregularity in my cycle, whereas before I was 28 days on the spot. One month I never started and the doctor have me progesterone to get me back on track. Recently, after my last period I had some spotting and a lot of pain in my abdomen and back for about 3 days. The doctor said that it is probably from the fibroids. So, I cannot have a vaginal hysterectomy because of my enlarged uterus. He did say he could perform the robotic surgery still... even though my uterus is enlarged. He said it is not too big for the robotic minimally evasive surgery. He told me that it will be several years down the road until menopause and that the fibroids will only get worse. He is not pressuring me to do anything. The main pressure I feel is the fact that our insurance is changing after the first of the year and I am pretty sure I will be paying lots more for a hysterectomy then opposed to doing it now before the years end. I am not in severe pain, my PMS has always been bad (anti-depressants have helped some in that area), my cramps can be tough, but they always have been. I mean, aren't they for everyone? Yes! ........So, there is a part of me that says, "You little baby, suck it up and grow old with all of your stuff and deal with it"! And another part of me says, "Get it over with and start fresh"! My doctor said he would more than likely leave one ovary. The other one has a pretty big cyst and he said he would just remove it. I am scared! I am already an emotional person and anxiety ridden. So, what will happen to my mental state if I go through with this??? I know that no one can tell me what to do......but hearing some of your stories may help. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2015, 06:46 PM
Re: Decision time. To do it or not to do it?

Hey Honeaa, Andrea!
I know what you are going thru, and it is emotional. I too was unable to carry any of my pregnancies past 12 weeks (6 pregnancies 0 births) and I too have nieces and nephews and have worked my way thru the unable to deliver a child part of my life too.
I like you am faced with the decision to have a hysterectomy, the DaVinci, robotic type or just suffer with the fibroids and spotting (I am 8 years into menopause and just started spotting 6 months ago) and my doctor said it was the fibroid. Recently, last week I had an intravaginal ultrasound and it showed multiple clusters of fibroids within the uterine wall very small but clusters of them no less and the one small but single fibroid they found a year ago. Before all this spotting occasionally I was told I did not have fibroids, (years ago).
I will only say that for me to consider having the spotting and the abominable terrible cramps like i am having the worst period every, cramps and low back pain to the point of feeling nauseous, I do not want to have this for the rest of my life and I am a lot older (65) than you. My mother is 95 and I am hoping I have her good long live genes too so I do not want to go thru what I have the past couple (6) months. It is really weird to have a cyclic "period pain event" but no period. They saw a large ovarian cysts so I guess that is why I am having monthly period pain.
I am scheduled for a D&C the end of next month, if it is clear then I am choosing to have my hysterectomy after Christmas. I too am an emotional and am an anxiety sufferer panic in the past, too so I understand. I am choosing to go for it as I have most of my friends that have had it done and some in their late 30's and some in their late 60's and all said they wished they hadn't waited and suffered so I am just going to go on and do it. NOW I am wondering just my uterus? and leave my tubes and ovaries and cervix, or just clean house where there is nothing left that could go to the dark side?? My one ovary couldn't really be seen it had atrophied down which is what it is suppose to do in menopause. Best of luck to you. Please overlook any typos…. I am pulling for you.
Unread 09-29-2015, 09:40 AM

Thank you Andrea for your story and support! You have come a long way. Yea, I have a feeling I am ready to be done with all of this cramping and periods. I am considering calling my doctor back this week and seeing what I can set up. I wish you the very best also!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2015, 10:03 AM

Hysterectomy is a difficult and emotional decision for many of us. I felt I didnt have a choice as I had cervical dysplasia. It's important to remember it's major surgery and with that comes the risk of complications. For me, the scariest part was no one could guarantee how I would feel post op and what sex would be like. I am anxious too and a bit controlling and I found this uncertainty difficult.

First, please get a second opinion. This surgery is a big deal and recovery can be hard. Different doctors have different skills and knowledge. It's important to weigh all your options and do a hysterectomy as a last resort.

Has your doctor suggested Lupron for you? This can help shrink fibroids. It does put you in chemical menopause. You mentioned you have difficult PMS, please know if you retain an ovary you will still cycle and have PMS symptoms.

Please explore this site, there is lots of great information here. I am and wishing you the best with your decision.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register