Anyone not wanting to go back to work? - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone not wanting to go back to work? Anyone not wanting to go back to work?

Unread 06-07-2005, 02:51 PM
Anyone not wanting to go back to work?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tigger1964
Went back today, it was horrible. I am putting in my 2 weeks notice from a job I've done for 11 years and use to love.
Its so sad when that happens. The job I have right now is OK, the one I was in before I spent 15 years there. Used to love going to work. Then new management came in and the last 5 years were horrid. It was sad to think back on how good it had been. A door has to close in order for another one to open.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2005, 03:18 PM

Tigger1964,
How awful for you - it's very hard when that happens. Let yourself grieve a bit for what you used to love, then remember what you enjoyed about it and find another job that has those qualities so you'll again love what you're doing!
Unread 06-07-2005, 04:50 PM

Tigger1964,

My heart cries out for you! Life is too short and as your quote says "cast all your cares upon Him". I know that's my plan. You will be fine in the end. It is probably the best decision for you and your health.

The head of the Board from my job called me today to see how I'm doing. It's very interesting that the Executive Director, who is a miserable boss, did not call at all. I thanked the board president for her concern. She asked me when I would be returning and I told her July. However, I am confident that I will not return to a job that caused me way too much stress!!

Joy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2005, 06:25 PM

I have to say to everyone that I cannot believe we all have had such bad experiences re-entering the workplace after our hysts. I wonder if our new found health has something to do with what we will tolerate since we are feeling well for the first time in years or decades. I am finding that because I was feeling so rotten everyday that I just drifted through each day and now that I feel good it's like why am I putting up with all this garbage and how did I do it for so long. I think the break from work changed my perspective and also allowed me for the first time in a long time to pamper myself and take care of myself. I have realized that time is precious and the less crap I have to deal with the more enjoyable my days are. Since I have been back to work they have tried to consume me since day one. I realized that I have been giving my workplace more than the time I am working but my personal life as well. I think our hysts have opened our eyes to not only who we are, but what is really important and the final straw for me was going back to a workplace that is unappreciative of what we give up everyday to do a good job. I am looking at my hyst now as a new beginning not only for my health but who I am as a person. This has truly been a life changing event for me and I am glad to have made the journey with all of my sisters. We all deserve the very best and I know that is what I now am striving for the rest of my life.
Unread 06-07-2005, 07:51 PM

I was reading the paper this Sunday. They always have a page full of volunteer opportunities. I figured out what a year's worth of rent is for me. Other than rent my bills are minimal. So, if I save up just a little bit more than I now have, I'd have 3 times my rent for a year, and I could take off a whole year and do volunteer things to make new contacts and explore new things, and take community college classes to expand my skills. And I should also be able to squeeze in some kind of huge adventure, like hiking the Pacific Crest Trail or something like that. I think that would do a whole lot more for me than persevering through my job for another year.

The hard part is not letting my partner down. He's got a real strong Protestant work ethic (even though he grew up Catholic). Believes, like my father, that you should work, and that working is supposed to be miserable, that's why it's called work. Fooey on that!
Unread 06-08-2005, 02:52 AM

Well I am due to go back on Monday. Got the clearnance from my dr yesterday. I also got a call from HR yesterday and they warned me I am having a formal performance review when I get back to work.

I have been off work since Feb. 18th and my surgery was May 2nd. My boss has been very upset with my sick leave. He told HR person that there were performance issues before I went on sick leave. BS. There were never any discussed with me. I was always told I was doing a great job up until my illness. The reason for my taking a sick leave when I did.

Well it is going to be tough facing him when I go back but I am ready for a fight if that is what he wants. He has no basis for his actions. Everything is going to be documented which is great and I have kept notes and emails to back up my claims.

Still it makes it very tough to go back on Monday. I have been looking elsewhere. I hope I get something soon!!!

Demera
Unread 06-08-2005, 11:06 AM

Im going back to work for the first time tonight. (I would rather walk the plank ...or get another hysterectomy for that matter.) Six weeks goes by so fast. I am waitressing tonight at a job I've worked in for the last 11 years. (I bartend too but won't for a few more weeks.. too much heavy lifting) I have enjoyed these weeks off (with the exception of the first two recovering) more than I can say. I unfortunately don't have the luxury of not working. I have one in college and one going to college next year. Single mom managing... but haven't had any money coming in for 6 weeks (tips...) I am so broke it is pathetic. So I gotta suck it up and pretend I'm happy when I'm there. I have a lot of regular customers so hopefully they'll throw some extra loot my way. Good luck to all the girls going back. I am sorry and wish sometimes it was 1950 and we were all stay at home moms and life was much simpler.
XO
Sue
Unread 06-08-2005, 11:27 AM

Yeah I wish life was so much simpler that there was such as thing as loyalty and compassion in the workplace. Too much emphasiz is put on the almighty dollar.

Empathy is a forgotten word. It is replaced by give me, give me, more more.

I am not normally a cynical person but since my hyst living and loving is so much more important.

Must be hormones!!!!

Unread 06-08-2005, 11:32 AM

Today as I was taking my son to school, we started talking about when he was in preschool (comparing that to the fact that he is graduating 8th gr this week). He actually complained at me because there were days when I didn't ick him up until after 5 when he was in pre-school.

I told him that I would love to have been a stay at home mom but unfortunately neither of 3 things happened married rich (either time), inherited lots of money from a wealthy uncle, or hit lotto. So I will be working for quite some time.

I am already dreading going back to work and I actually like my job (most of the time). I just realized what it was like to be back to human while I have been off. I saw my gyne who thinks 6 weeks is good enough. But considering I was in the hospital for 10 days, I feel cheated out of an extra week.

I did also see my regular doc. He is such a God send. He said not to worry. You went through the ringer. We can keep you out of work for a while yet. So I will let him write the return to work note.

My boss is very understanding. I have 8 weeks of fully paid leave and 4 more weeks of half pay. So I am going to treat myself like I need to be treated at the moment.

Reggie
Unread 06-08-2005, 02:48 PM

It is interesting for me being off of work these 7 weeks so far because it opens up a different world where I am taken care of by myself and my family. In the past it seems like women mostly do the taking care of everything leaving our own needs last. Also I think it is more difficult to return to life as it was before surgery because are minds and bodies are in a relaxed healing, less stress mode and it is difficult to "pump up" and jump into the whole rat race thing again. Especially trying to adjust to menopause.

I read somewhere in my menopause research (can't remember where I read it) that women who made a life changing decision such as moving, quitting or changing jobs, divorice etc. in the first year of their menopause after hysterectomies regretted it. The study advised waiting a year before making a life-changing decision until HRT or natural therapies has stablized symptoms so we won't make emotional decisions that we will regret later.

I am in no hurry to return to the workforce wanting to make sure my body has all the time it needs to heal properly. I know the work will always be there and as long as I have accrued paid leave and disability that I can draw on to pay the bills I will allow myself to relax and heal at home without guilt.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register