TLH Post op instructions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post op instructions Post op instructions

Unread 06-27-2011, 01:26 PM
Post op instructions

I feel like i wasnt given detailed post op guidelines for my total laproscopic hystetectomy i had lasy Wednesday upon leaving the hospital. Can anyone help me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-27-2011, 01:54 PM
Re: Post op instructions

Well, Unfortunatley, I won't be much help b/c my MD said, "No restrictions, except no sex for 6 weeks." BUt, as I left the hospital a nurse said no lifting greater than 5 lbs for a couple of weeks. I basically in the first two weeks, just rested and walked a bit to get my bowels going. Take it easy and your body will tell you what to do. Don't over do it for the first couple of weeks....Rest and be a princess!!!
Unread 06-27-2011, 02:24 PM

I was told not to lift over 20 pounds or go back to work for two weeks, and no sex or exercise (other that walking) for six. Everything else was as I felt I could do them....pay attention to my body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-27-2011, 03:48 PM

Oh yeah, and only showers for the first two weeks.
Unread 06-27-2011, 05:25 PM

Here were my post-op instructions (I still have the printed list) slightly edited for space:

1. No lifting more than 5 lbs for 6 weeks.
2. Stay out of cars (verbal order from my doctor).
3. Do not drive a car unless you can move freely and without pain and you are not taking medication that decreases your alertness.
4. No stairs for 2 weeks.
5. Include plenty of foods high in roughage and liquids to your diet to prevent constipation.
6. Walk about as you wish, but do not overdo things.
7. No sexual intercourse until after your first follow-up appointment with your doctor.
8. You may shower unless otherwise instructed.
9. Keep the incision dry and open to the air as much as possible.
10. Do no douche or use tampons until after your first follow-up with your doctor.
11. Avoid straining to have a bowel movement as this can put pressure on the healing muscles and incision.
And then there was a list of things that if they happened, I was to call the doctor or go to the ER.

Remember these were my instructions from my hospital for Abdominal Hysterectomy. Yours may differ. It is best to call your doctor and ask.

I hope this helps.
Unread 06-28-2011, 09:01 AM

Ladies thank you for your replies. I feel so lost the hospital i was in just seemed to want to get me out of there. I had a lapriscopic surgery although im not sure if it was vaginal assisted. I feel like im in the dark from the time i went into my surgery until today.
Unread 06-28-2011, 10:40 AM

Yes, abdominal instructions are much more thorough since they cut into the abd wall and muscles. Much more of a recovery process than with lap assisted or just vaginal. Good luck and just listen to your body...
Unread 06-28-2011, 11:32 AM

Don't be afraid to call your doctor and ask for instructions.
Unread 06-28-2011, 11:42 AM

I too was lost. Everyone in the hospital acted like it was no big thing. The only thing I was told is no lifting over 10 lbs, infection, smelly discharge from wound. That's it. I thought really?!? That's it. So I've done some seaching and going to follow my instructions from when I had my c-sections.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register