How soon back to work after TAH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How soon back to work after TAH? How soon back to work after TAH?

Unread 01-08-2011, 09:45 PM
How soon back to work after TAH?

Hello! For those Systers who have had a TAH ~

I am just curious to hear about real experiences. How soon were you able to go back to work full time after your TAH? My doc says 6 - 8 weeks but that seems soo long! I am at a week and a half post op right now. Not ready to go back to work at all at this moment, but am very restless!

Is 6 - 8 weeks pretty realistic?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2011, 10:19 PM
Re: How soon back to work after TAH?

Absolutely! I had an SAH which means little less work than what you had done and went back to work this week after 9 weeks off. I feel great and was not tired at all. I could have gone back at 6 weeks, however, there was only one week of school left before the break and my doctor had given me a note for 8 weeks. Give yourself the chance to heal so that you aren't paying for it later.
Unread 01-08-2011, 10:42 PM

That is a good reminder Danni, thanks. I don't want to pay for it later if I go back too soon! Glad to hear you are feeling well! Thanks for the reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2011, 10:45 PM

6 to 8 weeks is really needed. You will feel better at 4 weeks, but you will have good days and bad days. Take advantage of the time off. Rest and take care, and enjoy your recovery time as much as you can. I wish I could have more time!!
Unread 01-09-2011, 12:05 AM

Yes, I had my TAH 24 days ago and I'm not due back until the 31st of Jan. I'm a librarian, so essentially I have a desk job, but I know I'm not ready to go to work. Most days I'm feeling better, however I'm still not enjoying my time off something I'm hoping for in the last week or so. I think apart from the heeling time we need we also need some down time for ourselves - it is huge surgery and I think as soon as you are starting to feel ok to go back to work without having a proper break is not a good idea. I have booked two nights at a beach nearby for the family in my last week, which I'm really looking forward to. Take the extra time off and pamper yourself, you need it :-)
Unread 01-09-2011, 08:02 AM

i think 6-8 weeks is about right i had a TAH 6 weeks ago and i go back to work tomorrow although ive been feeling ok since week 4 im still getting tired quickly and tummy is still tender and swollen i would rather have taken another 2 weeks off because im certainly not 100% just hope all goes well
take as much time off as you can you will need it
Unread 01-09-2011, 09:36 AM
How soon back to work after TAH?

I think the "break" is a lovely idea! I am almost 3 weeks TAH and no way could I see myself doing much anytime soon. In fact, even my own Recovery Thread seems filled with Super Women who've returned to work after 2 weeks...

Also, in regards to TAH, in my experience, getting the incisional infection was a major setback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnet View Post
Yes, I had my TAH 24 days ago and I'm not due back until the 31st of Jan. I'm a librarian, so essentially I have a desk job, but I know I'm not ready to go to work. Most days I'm feeling better, however I'm still not enjoying my time off something I'm hoping for in the last week or so. I think apart from the heeling time we need we also need some down time for ourselves - it is huge surgery and I think as soon as you are starting to feel ok to go back to work without having a proper break is not a good idea. I have booked two nights at a beach nearby for the family in my last week, which I'm really looking forward to. Take the extra time off and pamper yourself, you need it :-)
Unread 01-09-2011, 11:13 AM

I had my TAH with an incision from my belly button to the top of my pelvic bone on Sept 15. I went back to work on Oct 22. I was off 5 weeks and 2 days. Of course my boss thought I should of been back to work at 4 weeks or earlier. I am glad I took the 5 weeks. I went in one day to work just to take care of some personal paperwork and was sucked in to helping for about an hour. BAD IDEA! By the time I left I was very sweaty and nervous. There was no way I would of been ready mentally or physically to go back early. My suggestion is to take the allotted time off. Don't let you boss make you feel guilty either.
Unread 01-09-2011, 01:40 PM

Hi Ladies, I hope you are all recovering well! Today is Day 6 Post-Op for me, I had a TAH and right tube removed along with everything else. I work from home as a Reservationist and set at my desk all day long and I took off the entire month of Jan simply because of the risk of blood clots and also because I knew I would not feel like myself or feel like dealing with people. I am scheduled to start working again on Feb 1st so I hope by that time I am feeling 90% better but time will tell. Thats a full 4 weeks off. Do you think I will feel better then?
Unread 01-09-2011, 02:30 PM

Well, I have been asking myself the same questions too. I am 12 days post-surgery and feel okay. I got the virus that is going around a few days ago and that has laid me up more than the hysterectomy it seems. LOL

I definitely am taking off the 4 weeks and will wait until after my doctor's visit Feb 1st to decide whether to go back to work or or not.

For me, it isn't a matter of feeling good before going back -- but can I handle the boredom of sitting at home watching TV or reading? Since I have a job where I can schedule the type of work I do I can just 'schedule' some slow weeks for myself -- but for me sitting around doing nothing is just a tiring as sitting in an office working.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register