Thinking about what to pack?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Thinking about what to pack?? Thinking about what to pack??

Unread 06-09-2005, 08:03 AM
Thinking about what to pack??

I have 5 weeks to go now. Starting to prepare (cleaning house, cooking and freezing meals etc) buying new pyjamas etc and was thinking what else, will I need sanitary towels??
Is anyone else going in soon? Are you nervous? I'm happy that it is now finally come to my time but I am nervous and a little frightened too of what I have in store, pain etc. I know I must feel positive about the outcome and lack of pain, bleeding etc but then in my head I ask myself if I am doing the right thing. I feel so mixed up, is this normal??
How long til I can drive? How long in hospital? I have loads of questions for my pre-op which is coming up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2005, 08:35 AM

Yes it is normal to begin to wonder if you are doing the right thing. It's scary. You've come to the right place, however. We either have come through it or will be going through the same as you. Here is the great hysterectomy check point page. I think it is GREAT!

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/vie...heckpointindex

For me the pain wasn't bad. It sort of depends on what type of hysteretomy you are getting. I drove after two weeks and was in the hospital for 4 days.
Unread 06-09-2005, 09:45 AM

Hi,

Here's a great link to "Pre-op Hints" which has a great list of info...including #35 which is what to take to the hospital: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsl...s=&forumid=170

and for your upcoming surgery.

Blessings!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2005, 10:35 AM

4 DAYS? Wow, I'm hoping to get out of the castle the next day...is that normal? I'm having a total removal but the surgeon isn't sure how he is going to remove it all yet. I know if he does a TAH I will have to stay for the surgery date and the next day. But I'm not prepared to be in the castle for longer than that.
Did you have complications?
Unread 06-09-2005, 02:48 PM

It's totally normal to have all these questions and be so nervous. I think everybody gets nervous, I was a total nut case. My emotions were all over the place.

It's good that your planning ahead, maybe that will kinda keep your mind off of things. As for driving, my doc. gave me the o.k. at about 3 wks. You still have to take it easy, you get tired very easy. I think everyone wonders if they are doing the right thing. I know I did, but in the end I knew that I did. I wish you good luck.
Unread 06-09-2005, 04:08 PM

It is perfectly normal to be nervous!!!
I would say the most important thing to pack is undies 2x your size...it is very uncomfortable wearin your regular size.

what kind of surgery are you having???

i had a lavh/bso in november....

feel free to IM me anytime if you have any questions that i could help you out with!!!

Tennile
Unread 06-09-2005, 08:05 PM

First, best of luck with your upcoming procedure. You're so lucky to know about this site before you go in. I found it by accident about a week after I came back home. This site answers everything I could ever want to know.

I fought having my TAH/BSO for four years with my dr till the pain, anemia, etc. got the best of me. Of course I was nervous and scared, too. As for my two cents of advice on what to take or do, I packed clothes and pj's but never wore anything other than the hospital gown; I arrived on 5/4 and left on 5/6; I brought all my allergy and asthma medication, which I was told was OK then everything was promptly taken away and repacked in my bag while they issued me identical meds from their pharmacy; I heard I'd have to have a BM before I leave so I packed a bag of dried prunes and ate 15 before I had success and could go home; my out-of-state mother sent me a prepaid phone card and I spent almost all my waking time on the phone with her and my older sister (that was fun!); I drove after 2 weeks but should have waited another week because I was mentally foggy; and once I could get out of the house my DH and I ran over to the Salvation Army to buy tank tops and shorts with draw strings to help with hot flashes and swelly belly.

Finally, tho this is long I want to tell you that this wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. No bleeding for me once the operation was done, not much pain at all, mild hot flashes, and so far a rather uneventful recovery. I'm no fountain of knowledge, but feel free to contact me as well if there's anything else you think I can tell you. Good luck!
Unread 06-09-2005, 08:25 PM

Hi,
I just arrived home from the castle this morning. I had a supracervical hysterectomy this past Monday morning. The uterus was removed the ovaries stayed. I was so nervous about it but I am glad it is over. I am sitting here with a "Swelly Belly Band" around my incision and I am feeling okay. There is a great list of what to bring on the hystersister website. I can tell you that I did wear the hospital gown but brought a light cotton robe and slippers. I didn't even shower in the hospital since they had a problem with their water system. My DH helped me shower and wash my hair this morning. I felt "almost new" considering the extensive surgery. You should also bring your own pads since the ones from the hospital are so old fashioned and don't easily stay in your panties. The other advice is to get undies that are two sizes larger to use for after the surgery. I never put a stitch of make-up on while in was in the castle. My book and my needlepoint didn't leave my suitcase. You don't really feel like doing too much. I also recommend that you don't have too many visitors. They can be exhausting. It is also a good idea to turn the phone off at a reasonable time so that you can get some rest. Good luck. Everything should go well.

Amyr
Unread 06-09-2005, 08:55 PM
what to pack

Hi everyone. I am also wondering what to pack for the upcoming surgery. I am having a complete abdominal hysterectomy on June 17. They will be taking everything including ovaries. I have several extremely large fibroid tumors and to use my OB/GYN's words a couple of very nasty ovarian cysts which keep my hemoglobin down to about 8.2!! I was thinking button up p.j. s and robe with slippers . Thanks to all of you, I will be going to Walmart and buying some very large panties!! Any other suggestions? I appreciate all the suggestions that I can get--- I am scared silly!!!
Unread 06-09-2005, 11:13 PM

I typed up a list of telephone numbers for my husband and mom. I put them in order of who to call after the operation to let everyone know that I was OK. Also, alot of my numbers were stored in my cell phone, but I used the list because it's free to use the phone in your room.
I am on a low carb diet. I had my husband buy my kind of yogurt and put in in the nurse's refrigerator. It's a good idea to pack snacks for whoever is in the room with you. Your food is included, but the other person has to pay for food from somewhere. I got sugarfree hard candy, almonds and a few of the tuna fish 'kits' and my husband and mom ate them. He spent every night with me at the hospital, so I packed a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt for him to put on at night so his good clothes wouldn't get rumpled up.
I bought the Charmin moist wipes and Charmin TP for the hospital. They had cardboardy toilet paper. The only other thing I can think of is that I bought the toothpaste deals that fit in the end of your finger...you just kind rub your teeth with them and your mouth feels wonderful. I had them in my little makeup kit on my side table, along with lotion and a mirror and a brush.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register