Provera Advice | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Provera Advice Provera Advice

Unread 09-19-2006, 12:40 PM
Provera Advice

Any one else taken Provera?... just curious about possible side effects and how long I may be on it?.... I started taking it Friday and my prescription is for 12 pills and then 1 refill.... (then what?) I was so focused on having a hysterectomy that I forgot to ask my Dr. about it.... internet info seems vague at best, but I bet lots of ya'll know a thing or two about it....any info would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2006, 12:47 PM
Provera Advice

I took provera 2 years ago to try and stop a period that would not end. It stopped the bleeding but made me a hormonal mess! Before my LAVH the doctor suggested taking it as a possible alternative to surgery and I said I'd rather have surgery. I did nothing but cry and felt like I was in a fog--but everyone reacts differently to medicine, this was just my experience. Good luck!
Unread 09-19-2006, 01:11 PM
Provera Advice

I took it for several months...10 days then off till next month then another 10 days and so on. I was having extremely heavy periods and periodic bleeding that would not stop. Helped me with my moods, slowed the bleeding, but we finally found out I had slow growing endometrial cancer so I am waiting for a surgery date. I had no ill effects from the 3-4 months I was on the provera. I was LESS moody.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2006, 05:56 PM
Provera Advice

I was on it for two years. I think my fibroids were the result, but my Dr. does not. I do not know, but I am now off of it and using a Mirena which is not working either at this point. The whole thing seems like a guessing game to me. On the other hand I have a dear friend who has benefitted greatly from Provera so it does really benefit some people... The people I know take it for 12 to 15 days and then wait until the next month to start it over. But it is done differently for others... I hope you are one of the lucky people it works for! In my case it just gave me false hope... and I really wish they would just take this uterus away.... makes me crazy!
Hugs and hope for better health!!
Jean
Unread 09-22-2006, 07:12 AM
Provera Advice

Why are you on provera? I was dx with hyperplasia (too thick lining of uterus) and my periods were erractic....so doctor put me on provera...I think I had to take it for 3 mts straight - I was a total mess! Moody, gained 10 lb, very heavy periods, and when I went for another ultrasound = my lining had tripled in size - my body reacts differently to synthetic hormones - they cause havoc with my system - NO MORE! Good Luck - I won't ever use it again....good luck - you may be different - but just monitor it closely! Jody
Unread 10-05-2006, 09:40 PM
Provera

My doctor put me on provera for 3 months to see if it would help my problem before doing a hysterectomy. I was to be on them 15 days then off 15 then back on again. I didn't have much success with them. They made me hurt worse as well as having headache,upset stomach and I had the munchies all the time I was on them. But as the others have shared everyone responds differently to the medicine. Hopefully it will help you with no side effects. good luck..
Unread 10-06-2006, 05:09 AM
Provera Advice

My daughter was on provera as a contraceptive via injection for 9 months altogether and spent the next 18 months recovering from it and trying to get rid of the severe weight gain. She also had bladder probs and moods..
Unread 10-06-2006, 11:57 PM
Sometimes provera is good :)

I've been on 30mg a day since January to keep my complex hyperplasia atypia at bay. Went to gyno yesterday and will probably end up having a hysterectomy in the new year due to concerns about the hyperplasia going cancerous as without the provera I revert back to it very quickly (my body produces UBER amounts of estrogen for some reason). *sigh* I wish I could stay on the provera longer...at 33 I'm not quite ready to say goodbye to my innards!

DaniDownUnder
Unread 10-07-2006, 01:52 AM
Provera Advice

I was on provera for about 4 months and it took some time to work but only after the rate went slowly from 20mg to 150mg. Once I was on 150mg the bleeding stopped in 10 days. My only side effect seemed to be with facial hair. Overall I don't think I would of liked to stay on that dosage daily for a long period. Hysterectomy was my best option although I'm pleased I tried other options first.

Take care..........Karen
Unread 10-09-2006, 07:36 AM
Provera Advice

Hi there, was a visitor about a year and a half ago. I had a D&C with removal of a polyp that was apparently causing my menorraghia problem. But guess what...menorraghia has returned with a vengence. I went through several diaper sized pads yesterday. My gyno has suggested ablation, but I am reading horror stories on some of the posts. I stopped the BCPills due to some minor side effects, but filled another round yesterday and am willing to risk those side effects to get rid of my problem. I am so tired of the heavy bleeding. I'm supposed to be going on vacation next month and according to timing, my period is due the week before I leave. I'm nervous and fed-up. I live in Canada and can only get an appointment with my gyno in December! Can you believe it!? Any suggestions on what I can do in the meantime? I can go to a clinic and get a round of Provera. I had no side effects the last time I was on them (when I really hemorraged 1 mo. after my surgery that was apparently supposed to get rid of my problem) Help me!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register