GYNs or Used Car Salesmen? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

GYNs or Used Car Salesmen? GYNs or Used Car Salesmen?

Unread 04-07-2010, 05:37 PM
GYNs or Used Car Salesmen?

I have uterine fibroids. I've seen 3 gynecologists after the initial diagnosis by my primary, and they're acting like used car salesmen -- each of them says I should do the procedure THEY specialize in! (I have recommendations now for TAH, UFE, and laparoscopic partial hyst!)

Are there any GYNs out there who do not do procedures themselves, but can help me choose which best fits my condition? I'm not being facetious, I'm really beginning to suspect that all GYNs nowadays specialize, and so have little objectivity. When I say I'm looking into other procedures as well, each doc has gotten sort of disinterested, vaguely supportive of me making my own decision but not really willing to discuss it.

I'm 56 and have at least 3 large fibroids - uterus between 12 and 16 weeks in size. I'm not very symptomatic - have had very heavy periods for about a year but no anemia and little spotting, a sense of fullness, increased bladder urgency but still good for 6 hours or so. I would think I'm not an ideal UFE candidate, but they're gung **! I have sent my images to an MRgFUS center, and I'm betting they'll say 'come on down'!

Is there some trick to finding a GYN who is willing to help me weigh alternatives? Are they called something special?

(am in U.S., Pacific NW)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Re: GYNs or Used Car Salesmen?

I think they are called "second opinions". I mean, I think if you made an appointment and told the doctor up front that you are just seeing them because you would like an independent, objective opinion about your situation and are not looking for someone else to treat you, you could get exactly that - provided that you choose someone from outside the immediate practice of any doctor you've already seen.

s,
-Linda
Unread 04-07-2010, 08:10 PM

I say continue searching for another gyn who will give you a breakdown of all the possible procedure for your condition and have him/her tell you the pros and cons of each. A good gyn will recommend the best procedure for you and not because he/she is comfortable with it. I've gone through 3 gyns before I found my current one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2010, 08:51 PM

hello ...read , research ,ask questions ........................... find out as much info on each procedure ,,weigh the facts and decide what procedure is best for you ..........
i too was being talked into another procedure at first ,, i did my research .ASKED QUESTIONS i was told alot of info , research etc and the other procedure was good for bleeding ,, but wasnt going to help the growth or the fibroids ,,, so i had my mind made up i just wanted that confirmed by a dr, ,,i agreed the surgery was a better option for me ...my problem was i had no dr .. i needed to find a doctor i liked and trusted and felt comfortable with to do this major surgery ....and i did find one .......good luck to you too .........
Unread 04-08-2010, 02:20 PM

I totally understand your frustration!! I too have struggled to find a good doctor. I have done lots of research on my own but the doctors definitely have the procedure that they are pushing and not what is best for my body.

I too have about a 16 week uterus with nine fibroids. I just had an UFE two weeks ago and I am pleased so far with the results. The gyn doctors do not recommend them as they do not actually do the procedure (Interventional Radiologist do) so they do not get any money from that recommendation. But it has stopped my bleeding (I was having continuous periods) and the fibroids should shrink in time. Even if I do need a hyst at some point, it gives me more options (like DaVinci or vaginal) if the fibroids do shrink.

I agree with barbaragny-read, research, ask questions! We have to be an advocate for our body because they will not. Honor what you are feeling about these doctors!!! Let us know how it goes for you.

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register