Getting things done pre-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting things done pre-op Getting things done pre-op

Unread 07-28-2003, 04:50 AM
Getting things done pre-op

Today it is one month exactly 'til my surgery date. The doctor will be back from a trip today and hopefully everything will be confirmed.

I'm beginning my long lists of things that I want to accomplish, need to buy, etc. before surgery, and have already managed to get some of it done -

Interesting that this feels somewhat like having the "nesting instinct" before childbirth. I want everything safe and cozy so that I can just rest and recuperate. I'm planning that things that I will not use prior to the castle visit will go into my little suitcase starting now :-).

Anyway, I now have extra pillows (including a body pillow), a couple of drawstring jammie bottoms, lip balm, new granny panties, new slippers, a TV for the bedroom (garage sale find), a hide-a-bed sofa for the living room so I can rest there if I get tired of the bedroom, and I'm thrilled to report that I bought a wireless setup for my laptop computer so I can stay in touch wherever I am in the house. Whoo-hoo!

It feels good to cross things off the list and know that some preparations are already done. Makes me feel a little bit calmer about the whole thing.

Nancy in WI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2003, 07:29 AM

((( Nancy ))) it sounds like you're a very organized "together" lady. I like being prepared too, I don't like having to rush at the last minute.
Please remember the lifting, bending restrictions post op and have someone else open your hide-a-bed when you need to use it. The ones I've used take a lot of lifting and pulling and that's a no no post op.
Best wishes.
s
Unread 07-28-2003, 01:44 PM
getting things done

Nancy,

I scheduled my surgery almost two months in advance just so I could get things done and ready for a lot of time spent at home. My surgery is on July 30 and my house is clean, laundry is all caught up, my recovery room is organized and clean, free of clutter, groceries and household items are bought and put away, etc. My goal was to be able to come home to a clean house and no worries about anything. So far all is done and I am just finishing the last few things on my list, taking dog to vet tomorrow afternoon, buying stamps, etc.

All of this cleaning and organization helped to keep me busy and focused and kept me from worrying quite as much.

Decide what is important and make sure those things are done. Make sure your recovery room will be ready with clean sheets and lots of pillows, meds and water close by. it may seem far away, but the date will arrive before you know it!!!

Sending you good wishes!!!

Joan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2003, 02:47 PM
A fellow "Wisconsinite"

I am brand new to this website and read your posting. I also told friends that it almost feels like "nesting". My surgery is scheduled for August 8 and I am pretty nervous, too. Keeping busy and focused helps.
I will wait and see if this message gets to you...if so, message me in return. I'd like to find out how this website works!
Sue in Wisconsin
Unread 07-28-2003, 03:04 PM
A fellow "Wisconsinite" Loud and clear

A fellow "Wisconsinite I just read your post, Welcome to Hyster Sisters Forum... the best on the web ... You will find plenty of questions asked and answered here by sisters like you... Were all here to give our knowledge, and talk about our fears that we all might have. I have gained so much knowledge from this forum, I feel better about my surgery ... Yes I am still scared to death.. but I have more understanding from sisters that have already gone through their hestO'. as to what to expect after I have mine. I know we all differ in what is wrong with us, but in so many ways were all made the same I hope you can find what your looking for and help calm you down before your surgery.. This does help pass the days away ... I still have a wait Aug 22 I wish it was sooner...
Unread 07-28-2003, 03:22 PM

Hi there! I too am from Wisconsin--Fort Atkinson! You sound just like me, my TAH is scheduled for Aug. 5 and I have a list of everything I want to get done between now and then! Good luck to you!
Mary
Unread 07-28-2003, 03:32 PM

Hi Nancy,

Good for you! You did what I did a year ago! My 1 year hysterversary is coming up next month and I cant beleive it has gone by so very fast. I too was very organized AND got the wireless connection for the laptop. It was a godsend. I spent a lot of time on the computer in my favorite chair while I recovered. (of course, in the midst of taking walks and taking care of myself) But it helped me out a lot. (Oh also, those granny panties....they really made a difference to me...I have a vertical incision and they came up above my belly button. ....I kept one pair for a souvenir!!!) LOL

The other thing I can tell you...by the time my surgery date came around I felt relieved and was ready. Certainly I was nervous but felt I was doing the right thing for me. When I was in the pre-op room my doctor came out to talk to me one last time before they wheeled me into the OR...we talked for a few minutes and she told me I have a very calm way about me and that I seemed very ready for this. I was. And I was glad she noticed that. I did feel very calm. I hope that happens to you too.

Best of luck to you and let us know how you are coming along!

CoryAnn
Unread 07-28-2003, 06:29 PM
Go Badgers! LOL

Wow - lots of us from Wisconsin! I'm in La Crosse - and I consider myself very fortunate because we have some of the best health care in the state here. Big enough that we have really excellent physicians and other staff, and facilities to handle almost anything... small enough to be friendly and caring.

It does feel good to be getting things done in preparation. Originally I had hoped to "nest" over the winter months - do this right after the holidays - but my body has overruled me.

I know that the last week is going to be hard, so I have a very specific list of things to do that week, including lots of "pamper time". I wish I could take that whole week off, but alas, I can't possibly. Most of my time off will be without pay :-(.

Thank you for all the kind words. My surgery was confirmed for 8/28 today!

Nancy in WI
Unread 07-29-2003, 06:01 AM
Pre op

I just found out last Friday that I will need to prepare for the castle. I found this site the same day, and I'm sure glad, because I know how to prepare, and already have a list started for what to take with me, and what I'll need during recovery. I sure appreciate being more educated from everyone that's going through this, and that has gone through it. It's even helped my husband to know what to expect after sitting with me to read some of the posts.
After talking with him last night about how scared I am, he reassured me everything was going to be OK, because he's going to be here for me, and take good care of me. That made me feel so much better! :0) My surgery date is going to be set for Aug. 18 or 19. I find out tomorrow. The sooner the better, so I can feel better again.
Thank you for this site. I feel much better prepared.
Unread 07-29-2003, 06:37 AM
surgery on 8-5-03

Hi fire wife. I am having my TVH on the same date as you. The anxiety just gets worse each day. I'm not sure what I need to do to prepare for the surgery, other than cleaning the house. Is there any items you can think of that I might need after surgery that I should get now?

Thanks

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register