pre-op bowel prep for diabetics? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pre-op bowel prep for diabetics? pre-op bowel prep for diabetics?

Unread 02-14-2004, 09:31 PM
pre-op bowel prep for diabetics?

Anyone out there diabetic and gone through the 2 day bowel prep pre-surgical? I can't begin to think how I a going to be able to balance blood sugars with clear liquids only. Lots of things are scaring me but this most of all. Anyone have to enter the hospital early to manage this? Did your condition require your endocronologist as well as your gyn-oncol.? While not type I diabetic (thank G**) I'm not sure how this can be managed.
I'd greatly appreciate contact with people who have previously walked this path.

diagnosed Feb. thirteenth (anyone notice it was Friday the thirteenth?) endroetrial cancer. Awaiting contact with Gyn-oncologist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2004, 10:42 PM
diabetic bowel prep

I would for sure check with your endroconologist (spelling) about it he/she may be able to let you drink something like ensure (for diabetics) as your liquids that would have a balanced sugar intake for your blood sugar regulation. Im sure it will be a tricky thing to get enough protine and stuff not to go into the shakes only drinking liquids. Talk to the dr im sure he will come up with something.
Good Luck
Tango
Unread 02-20-2004, 08:47 AM
thanks Tangodancer

As an aside to those whom it might apply to, apparently it isn't any longer necessary to evacuate the colon, etc. at all prior to surgery (check with your surgeon). Some will undoubtedly use the 'older' method and require it, others may not.

The only restriction I have is the normal nothing by mouth after midnight. No problems with trying to balance blood sugars etc. on clear liquids. HURRAH!!!

One less problem down the drain!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2004, 11:32 AM
pre-op bowel prep for diabetics?

Some doctors do require the "older" method if they suspect that they will be working with the bowels. If they happen to nick them, there will be big trouble when the fecal matter enters the surgical fields. My doc didn't require it for me, but she would for endo or for any kind of repair that would involve the bowels.

One word of advice to you. Talk to your doctor and your nurses about how they will manage your blood sugar level AFTER the surgery. I am actually planning on including this as a tip when I post my own story. I am hypoglycemic and I told the nurse in admit, but probably should have told more people. The fast in the morning was OK, but it ended up lasting about 24 hours and then they only brought me sugar two times in a row. The day of surgery they gave me fenergan (sp? - for nausea from morphine) but then they forgot to feed me dinner to see what I would tolerate. Then, they brought me clear stuff from the fridge in the middle of the night. When that went down, no one noted it in my chart and I ended up with clear liquids again for breakfast. By the time my mom found me some liquid proteins, it was way too late. Plus, the nurse didn't bring my pain meds that morning either.

It just wasn't a fun experience. I think I could have had the anti-nausea meds and skipped straight to full liquids instead of clear liquids if I had been more persistent before. I imagine this will be even harder since you are diabetic, but it will help that you are planning ahead.
Unread 02-20-2004, 12:35 PM
Thanks PaNik for sharing and more insights...

[quote]Originally posted by PaNik
Some doctors do require the "older" method if they suspect that they will be working with the bowels. If they happen to nick them, there will be big trouble when the fecal matter enters the surgical fields. My doc didn't require it for me, but she would for endo or for any kind of repair that would involve the bowels.

That too appears to be according to surgeon. They are definitely going to run the bowel and the entire cavity while they are in there on me (part of my pre-op with the doctor answered this without even asking... looks like some doctors are getting the point that not all of us walk in totally ignorant off the streets . Maybe hope for us all in the long run! At any rate it's nice to know that the possibilities of managing 2 days of clear liquids (and tablets I understand from my GP's PA who is also diabetic) is off my mind and I can relax these next few days before the surgery.

One word of advice to you. Talk to your doctor and your nurses about how they will manage your blood sugar level AFTER the surgery.

Absolutely I agree. I already know. I'll be on IV's and since I custom mix my own insulin and use the sliding scale for overages (very occasionally) they even know which one to use (they'll be using the sliding scale at reduced rates and balancing it with blood sugar results). Once I'm on solid food again I'll be doing my own insulin (by that time I ought to be almost out the door of the hospital, at least they say that's the way it will work. They'll be tracking calories and insulin usage (every diabetic should have an idea of how many calories they balance for on a daily basis if not on a serving exchange basis just to keep in good health!!). I may have given them a foot up on the usual patient. I'm all for that

One thing I have as a personal problem is that I tend to drop through the basement and a couple of sub basements on my sugars during anesthesia. It's unsual and I always make sure that I'm bulked on calories before surgery so I don't wake up after a sugar crisis because the anesthesiologist decided it was too high for surgery (been there, done that.. NOT nice).

I am actually planning on including this as a tip when I post my own story. I am hypoglycemic and I told the nurse in admit, but probably should have told more people. The fast in the morning was OK, but it ended up lasting about 24 hours and then they only brought me sugar two times in a row. The day of surgery they gave me fenergan (sp? - for nausea from morphine) but then they forgot to feed me dinner to see what I would tolerate. Then, they brought me clear stuff from the fridge in the middle of the night. When that went down, no one noted it in my chart and I ended up with clear liquids again for breakfast. By the time my mom found me some liquid proteins, it was way too late. Plus, the nurse didn't bring my pain meds that morning either.

Oh, WOW! That could be a really bad experience (outside of how bad it already was)!! I was lucky that my problem happened in an outpatient surgery experience and fortunately hubby knew what was happening (and told them yet *again* to check me and get sugar into me). I'd be a royal righteous PIA to a staff that did something like that to me.

It just wasn't a fun experience. I think I could have had the anti-nausea meds and skipped straight to full liquids instead of clear liquids if I had been more persistent before. I imagine this will be even harder since you are diabetic, but it will help that you are planning ahead.

Oh, yes in*deed*. Every diabetic has to assume that every nurse and doctor is a total nit-wit to be safe. You tell the surgeon, you tell the pre-op people, you tell the anesthesia nurse, you tell the anestheiologist, you tell the floor nurses and then when you feel bad you start really telling people again and again. Especially if you don't have someone there to speak for you (like I did). I'm the type that would rather be left alone when I feel bad so it takes a lot for me to crab at staff but I also know if I started feeling low I'd be screaming if necessary!! I've already had blood sugars at 38 before and it will knock the stuffings out of you even if you're feeling fine. If you're in pain... even worse and more dangerous. I'm also taking my own meter. I want to know just how loud and long to complain if it happens!!

I feel relatively safe. I'm going to be with a major oncology practice at a major cancer center who does surgery every day on all types of people with 'other' conditions. I feel relatively safe (as much as is possible under the circumstances). Everybody is writing down all that I tell them and are even admitting that if someone has experience with diabetic conditions they're better off listening and paying attention than not! Faliciously or not it at least makes me feel better. It's a teaching facility and you should *see* the place. Puts 4 star hotels to shame (ok... for instance a celtic harp player sitting in the lobby of the center for people waiting for doctors and those that transporting them back and forth). Makes our brand new beautiful hospital with wonderful staff and services at home look like a Mickey Mouse hospital (Goofy and all). I feel like I need to wear mink and diamonds for check in - yesterday I ran into a woman that coordinated road tours for Willie Nelson (am I really in the right place??). <rofl>

I'm glad to share too after Monday. I haven't seen anything yet (possibly buried) about managing diabetes and hysterectomy surgery and with so many people about I think it's a valuable thing to have a good grasp of!! Thanks PaNik. Your story will undoubtedly be a valuable one for future princesses.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register