Cleaining post op... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cleaining post op... Cleaining post op...

Unread 08-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Cleaining post op...

Had my lavh on the 29th came home the 31st. Since I have been home I have done the following:

wiped off counters/table numerous times
swept kitchen floor about 4 times
picked up some toys
had ds hand me shirts and I put them on hangers and hung them up
put some dishes in the dishwasher

Now I am still unclear on what we can do and can't when it comes to cleaning.

I know I need to control myself, but I can't stand a mess. Dh is doing a great job, but it is just not the way I do it and I feel bad so I want to help him.

Am I doing too much???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Cleaining post op...

I don't think you are supposed to be sweeping, or stretching too much. Wiping counter, and putting dishes in dishwashers sound pretty ok--I would steer clear of those other duties though, but that's just me.

I have no interest in cleaning ANYTHING . The only thing I've done is fold a basket of clothes that I had another family member put in the washer and dryer and bring the basket to my room . I know so bad, but I don't feel like doing more.

We're all different though, but be careful with anthing that calls for too much pulling back and forth.
Unread 08-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Cleaining post op...

havehope

A hysterectomy is major surgery ~ whichever procedure. The initial and vital healing takes approximately 6 weeks. Full recovery can then take anything from 3 months to a year.

Have you found our <link> Post-Op Checkpoint Weeks 1-2? If you scroll down to the bottom, it explains exactly what is and isn't allowed in the first 2 weeks. It may also help you to read this HS article Doing Too Much, Too Soon which explains the dangers.

You're only 5 days post-op ~ please rest as much as possible since you've only this one chance to heal properly. Take care!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2008, 03:39 PM
Cleaning?

to you and I know just what you mean because I too am one of those anal types who wants it done just so!

Please don't overdo-you still have the same stitches in there that any hysterectomy involves and still need to allow yourself time to heal properly just as if you'd had a TAH. Otherwise you do risk bleeding and adhesions and who needs that after all you've been through already?

I was able to do light tasks at countertop level as I felt up to it when I got home and that is all I would do, even as my brain was hollering that such-and-such wasn't really done "right" and sometimes I had to walk whomever was helping through whatever task needed doing. That's ok, though-they learn it the "right" way when it's taken as a teaching moment, !!!

Please take care of yourself so you don't wind up in the Castle again with your health compromised, the unhappy with you and your family further burdened.
Unread 08-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Cleaining post op...

hey hun,
I had a TAH/BSO, from what I understand, the inner sutures for you and I are similar so be very careful. no vaccuming at all, no pushing even an empty shopping cart, bending and twisting was discouraged by my doc, pulling was discouraged and lifting anything over 2 pounds is a no no. if you can get someone to help you or if you can afford to pay a teen since it is summer to help you clean that might help a lot. one of my step daughters friends helps me for 5 dollars a day once a week to clean up.
huggles and take it easy hun, you're on the mend and you only get one chance to heal right.
chris
Unread 08-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Cleaining post op...

havehope

I had my LSH on the 23rd and home the 25th. My friend came in town to stay with me for a few days because I live alone. Since then I have had to do some things around the house...no other choice.

I think cleaning counters is okay. I admit I swept once. The problem for me is I have a cat. Before my girlfriend left she put the cat food and water bowl on a box that my cat is able to jump up on. That way I don't have to bend down to the ground to change his bowls. HOWEVER, I have had to scoop his box...ever so carefully. I have to.

It is not healthy for either one of us to do any lifting, stooping, bending. Since you do not live alone don't do more than we are advised. I have another friend who is driving in on Thursday. Thank God. I know it can be difficult to ignore the mess and let others do for us, but if you have someone there then let them do it.

Take care all my sisters!
Unread 08-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Cleaining post op...

Well, I know how you feel and I have done the same..(shame on me) But I cant help it. I am a clean freak you would say. Even with my DH and 2 little boys I still need the house cleaned better..lol. I had TLH on 7/24. The second day home I was loading dishwasher and doing laundry. since then..well.. I have cleaned the bathrooms and such. So far I havent done anything bad to myself. If you keep your movements slow and easy...no lifting anything heavier than a gallon of milk you should be ok...and listen to your body. I am sure you will know when your body has had enough.
Good luck to all and happy healing...
Unread 08-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Cleaining post op...

I will be 6 weeks post-op tomorrow. My doctor cleared me today to vacuum. She said that I could push the vacuum but not to carry it around, still no heavy lifting. I am still not able to carry a laundry basket with clothes in it, or move furniture to vacuum.
Unread 08-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Cleaining post op...

I am a clean freak also, my DH had a cleaning company come in and clean for me because I was going crazy looking at my house. That was a week ago and I am going crazy again with the way my house looks even though DH is doing the best he can, the thing is.. he can do a much better job (there are things I do know)
I am chomping at the bit to clean so bad. I did do the dishes last night but DH loaded dishwasher. I am trying to just add small things into my routine without overdoing it.
I'm still confused about what I can do and can't do myself. I tend to bend over and do stuff, then read something and think to myself "should I have done that?"
I hate being so anal about my house!
Unread 08-04-2008, 02:31 PM
Cleaining post op...

Had my TAH on 7/8 and I am also frustrated at my inability to clean. I looked at the dirty dishes in the sink (some pretty heavy pots and such) this morning and I just sighed and left it all there. Guess what? A good outcome is more important then any of the household stuff. My DH is very aware that just because he had to return to work today, doesn't mean I also am returning to "work". I have to be able to rely on him and my teenager for help (the 5 and 7 yo are also helping out).

Keep your eye on the prize...an uncomplicated total recovery! As for our DHs-they want to help, this is our opportunity to let them do something tangible and meaningful...so what if it isn't the way you do it, just take a deeeeeeep breath and say "thank you". Listen to the wisdom of your physician and all the documentation that clearly states you should be taking it easy (i will now ignore the kids shoes currently littering my living room floor and read a book!).

Remember this to shall pass! Heal well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register