New Hyster Sister with a Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New Hyster Sister with a Question New Hyster Sister with a Question

Unread 07-25-2009, 11:24 AM
New Hyster Sister with a Question

I am scheduled for a LSH on Oct. 30th. I have been reading about other sisters who had LSH surgery and they are talking about going back to work after a week or two. My dr. said that I can have 6 weeks disability and my employer is fine with that. I have a very cushy job as an administrative assistant at a large law firm. I am just wondering why my dr. is saying I can have 6 weeks disability. I have spoken with other ladies who had LSH surgery and they all said to take at least 4 weeks and 6 if at all possible.

Also, with LSH surgery, do you usually go home the same day?

You are all angels and have calmed my fears...many blessings to you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2009, 12:41 PM
Re: New Hyster Sister with a Question

Honestly, it doesn't matter how cushy your job is (mine is, too). You're still going to be sore, you WILL be tired, and mundane, routine things like taking a simple shower will be a chore.

On top of it, you need to heal (and trust me, you will not be healed within a week or two...), and that means resting as much as possible. That's why your doctor is saying six weeks.

I had a classic, picture perfect, textbook recovery (TAH/BSO; yours, I know, is less invasive), and at two weeks felt like I could conquer the world. I really felt I could return to work at that time. My doctor told me from the very beginning, however, that he would not even consider releasing me, no matter what I did for a living, for at least six to eight weeks, because he wanted to ensure that I was healed as much as possible. I'm glad he took that stance, because now, at six weeks, I feel utterly fantastic, and at my six-week appointment yesterday, my doctor could not have been more pleased with my progress (I'm released to return to work on Aug. 3rd...)

My question to you is, "Why rush back?"

My advice? Take the time you need to heal and evaluate how you feel. Everyone is different, but only you (with the help of your doctor) can determine when is the appropriate time for you to return to work.

Good luck...
Unread 07-25-2009, 12:55 PM

Hi Curtc2me,

I had a LSH and I went back to work at (2) weeks post-op with my Dr's okay. That being said...(3) weeks would have been nicer!! I worked in the wedding business at the time and we were coming into our busy season...so I was needed back.

If your Dr. and place of work are okaying (6) weeks....I would say...take it. A LSH is a less invasive hyst and it is still major surgery. All of us Hyster Sisters...no matter what type of hyst we are having...only have once chance to get our post-op recovery right. So with (6) weeks off...you can look at plenty of time to recover and then be prepared to get back to work.

In answer to your going home the same day question...I had my LSH at an outpatient facility. I had surgery at 7:30 AM and I went home at 6 PM. I did have the option to spend the night if it had been needed. Some LSH ladies do spend the night.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2009, 01:37 PM

I am scheduled to have a LSH on Aug 10th, my Dr. said that I will have one night in the hospital and should be able to go back to work in two weeks. People keep telling me how fast the recovery is and I wont need two weeks, I am a little worried I will be pressured to go back before I am ready
Unread 07-25-2009, 01:38 PM

Don't go back to work after two weeks. i don't know why anyone would do that. You need to heal!
Unread 07-25-2009, 02:03 PM

I had my LSH on July 8th with surgery at 7am (arrive at 5am) and was home around 6pm the same day.

I was off completely for two weeks (including the two days before surgery because I was a nervous wreck). I went back to work (I'm a pastor) on the second Sunday, but that was all I did. Today I went to the parish picnic and tomorrow I'll lead worship again, but I'm still "off". I'm answering the phone and such, but I still need lots of time to stop and not do anything. I could definitely tell today (2 1/2 weeks) that I was ready to come home. On the way home I realized I'd "only" been working for four hours and I was exhausted.

Also, I didn't drive until two weeks and the first couple of days (this past Thursday and Friday) were really a lot harder than I thought they would be.

Please take the time you need to heal properly - historylady is right, we only have one chance to get the healing right.

Sending lots of good thoughts to you.

Peace,
M
Unread 07-25-2009, 02:06 PM

I agree with the ladies who say take the time that your doctor wants you too. I am just at 2 weeks (this coming monday) and I don't think I would be ready to go back to work. Sitting can be very uncomfortable for long periods of time and I am still not walking as fast as I normally do.
I highly recommend taking that time and healing up right the first time - don't want to go back for more surgery should something happen from going back too soon.
First and foremost listen to your body, it knows what it needs.
Unread 07-25-2009, 05:32 PM

I cannot even begin to thank you ladies enough! It is a blessing that I discovered this website and all of you angels that take the time to answer all of my questions. I will definitely take the 6 weeks recovery time and I cannot even begin to tell you how much I am actually looking forward to having this surgery and feeling fabulous for the first time in 10 years --- that is how long I have put this off. Bless you all!
Unread 07-25-2009, 07:40 PM

Even if you feel good, don't go back until you are ready. I had a SAH and went back to work after 4 weeks. I had to go on half days because I was so tired and I did not heal properly.
Unread 07-26-2009, 07:27 PM

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer me. After reading everyone's posts and doing some more research, I am definitely going to take the full 6 weeks. I cannot believe how forward I am looking to having this surgery. Just so tired of feeling so tired and so tired of always worrying about hemorrhaging wherever I am.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register