TVH upcoming | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-23-2008, 07:58 PM
TVH upcoming

I am scheduled for TVH on September 29, 2008. I'm not quite scared, but I really don't know what to expect. I really want to know; how long the surgery usually takes, will my stomach still be swollen even though my surgery's being done vaginally, will my clothes still fit, and on average how long will I be in the hospital. Not scared yet...just want to know what I have ahead of me. I have to admit that visiting this site has made the wait bearable. Thank you. If anyone has any input from their experiences....please feel free...I want inputs and opinions. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2008, 08:56 PM
TVH upcoming

Hi FuzzyPeach67and

We’re happy you joined the Hystersisters community! There is a ton of solid information on the site, and the members have unlimited cyber-hugs to dispense and experiences to share with you at every stage of your journey to good health!

If you haven’t already done so, please do yourself a favor and register to receive Hysterectomy Checkpoints. It’s one of the best features of the site, in my opinion -- designed to accompany you through the entire hysterectomy experience from start to finish, and beyond!

You can take the opportunity to prepare yourself for what’s ahead by reading the Pre-Op Articles. Almost "everything you need to know" before your hyserectomy is contained among the articles there.

You might also enjoy browsing through the stories in the Tell Your Hyst-Story section. Each story has a title which includes the type of surgery that was performed so it's easy to find the ones which match the type of hysterectomy you are scheduled to have.

Through the years, hundreds of women have shared their personal suggestions in Hints for Your Hysterectomy that you may also want to peruse.

Best wishes as you prepare for your trip to the Castle!
Unread 09-23-2008, 09:20 PM
TVH upcoming

Peach, my TVH was totally uneventful. I had complications from other conditions, but the surgery itself and recovery has been relatively easy.

I only had a little tenderness in the abdomen, similar to mild/moderate menstrual cramps. I fit into my regular clothes immediately, no swelling at all. As a matter of fact, I have lost 10 pounds! After the first day, I only needed an occasional Tylenol for discomfort. I experienced only a small amount of tannish discharge and my bladder and bowels were moving by the evening on the day of my surgery.

I had to stay in the hospital post op longer than most women because I had to begin my coumadin therapy from ground zero and my docs wouldn't let me leave until my numbers were going in the right direction! I think most women leave the following day.

Be sure to rest a lot following your surgery. It's easy to forget you just had major surgery because you have no outward sign. I moved about when I could and I rested when I was tired. My docs have told me that I am healing beautifully and I am beginning to feel a lot like my old self again.

Best wishes as you prepare for your "special" day and on your recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2008, 10:19 PM
TVH upcoming

I didn't have any complications with my surgery. Just an overnight stay in the hospital. ****I did have alot of swelling...I wore sweats for several months. (at 11 weeks I had a lap surgery for adhesions so I probably had more swelling from that.) But that first 11 weeks I was unable to wear jeans. I didn't gained any weight. The Ice pack was my best friend during those months. I wasn't in pain, just uncomfortable with the swelling.

GOOD LUCK!!
Unread 09-24-2008, 07:43 AM
TVH upcoming

I had a LAVH 2 weeks ago and lost a few pounds and my jeans fit right away. It's more comfortable to wear sweats and pj bottoms since I'm still at home recovering, but no swelly belly here! Maybe a teeny tiny bit at the end of the day after I do alot...it just feels better to lay all stretched out... Good luck!
Unread 09-24-2008, 09:19 AM
TVH upcoming

I had a TVH. I went home the day after and have really had no complications. No weight gain, no weight loss. Just a little discomfort. Constipation has been bothersome. Stock up on stool softeners.
I had only a little swelling. I cam home from the hospital in sweat pants.
Try to rest when you get tired. I still need to take a nap. Sometimes it is only 30 min. and sometimes I sleep for 2 hours. It is directly related to how much I do. Best wishes!
Unread 09-24-2008, 10:30 AM
TVH upcoming

I will be 2 weeks post op my LAVH tomorrow. My surgery was supposed to take 2 hours, but ended up four hours, because my uterus and fibroids were quite large. My doc, a wonderful surgeon, did a technique called coring, so she could remove it all vaginally.

I do have some swelly belly. It seems to get better as time goes on, but does come back if I overdo.

My paid was not bad, but I did have some. I am no longer taking my percocet, but do take my motrin if I get crampy, which my doc says is normal.

I was in the hospital overnight, which I think is the norm. Just be prepared to spend the first two weeks on the sofa, and then to take naps thereafter! There is no avoiding it! Remember, you only have one chance to heal well!

Best of luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register