Can u compare lapro Appendectomy to lapro Hysterectory? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can u compare lapro Appendectomy to lapro Hysterectory? Can u compare lapro Appendectomy to lapro Hysterectory?

Unread 01-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Can u compare lapro Appendectomy to lapro Hysterectory?

I am trying to get my hubby to understand the amount of help/pain/recovery my Laproscopic Hysterectomy will involve.

He had an emergency laproscopic appendectomy last year and was up and about 1 about a week. (That was his first and only experience with surgery). So I suspect that after about 1 week his patience will wear thin...

Has anyone had an laproscopic appendectomy? How does the pain and recovery time for that compare to the pain and recovery time you experience with your hysterectomy?

He has been firmly in the "you may have 2 - 3 day recovery time before I start to get impatient" camp for my previous surgery experiences (ACL reconstruction, muscle eye surgery, knee medial plication and tubal) Generally I have been up and about in 3 days but orthopedic surgery is not exactly the same thing as abdominal surgery.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Re: Can u compare lapro Appendectomy to lapro Hysterectory?

I've not had either surgery, so have no personal history to refer to, but it seems to me that the appendix is a rather small structure, and removing it does not do much in the way of serious remodeling of ones internal organs. On the other hand, the uterus is much larger, and removing it permanently changes the entire setup inside. For that reason alone, I'd expect a longer healing time.

Maybe sharing the pages here on the site that are meant for men to read would give your partner a better idea of what to expect
Unread 01-03-2012, 11:34 AM

I had a lap appendectomy about 5 years ago. You can not compare the recovery of that surgery with the recovery of a hysterectomy. There seems to be a misconception among many people that believe just because you are having your hysterectomy performed laparoscopically that it's not a big deal, which is not the case at all. It is still a major operation. After my appendectomy I was up and about in 5 days or so without any discomfort or problems. I was out of work 3 weeks after my LAVH and that was pushing it. I was tired all the time. Had no energy to do anything, and required a great deal of sleep.

Since DH is under the impression this is no big deal, if you have not already had your pre-op appointment I would certainly bring him along so someone can explain to him what exactly is going to happen to you during surgery and why recovery is so important. If that is not possible I would make sure that he is very well informed by the Dr. and nurses the day you are scheduled to have surgery. In the mean time see if he would be willing to go too the Misterhystersister web site and educate himself on what a hysterectomy is all about. I ended up printing out a great deal of information for my boyfriend to read before I had surgery so that he knew what to expect. It worked to my advantage. Good luck.

Tracy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2012, 08:01 PM

Having a hysterectomy is MAJOR SURGERY - my understanding it that the only thing more major is open heart surgery. The uterus is a much bigger organ than the appendix, with much more ramifications on the system.

Perhaps your husband should get on our web site called Mister Hystersisters. It might give him a better understanding of what you are up against.

Good luck.

(((Hugs)))

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register