dVH/RALH side sleeper | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-20-2012, 08:08 AM
side sleeper

Good morning sisters.. I was 1 week post op yesterday and was wondering how long before I will be able sleep on my side again and lay flat when sleeping? I tried to get on my side last night and my body screamed NO!!!!
Any input would be great. thank you Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2012, 08:34 AM
Re: side sleeper

I had my surgery on the 13th, stayed at castle overnight, and have been sleeping on my side ever since. I had TVH. I actually sleep better on my side.... Hope you are able to soon!
Unread 03-20-2012, 08:41 AM

Hi Lisa, I had da vinci on Friday and while in the hospital overnight, I asked my nurse if I could sleep on my side and she said absolutely and even helped me roll over! I have a few times since and it's really nice - try a pillow between your legs and one under your belly for support. I found it most helpful to lay on the sofa and use the back of the sofa to pull myself over onto my side very slowly. I am more comfy on the sofa because I feel I have more "handles" than in the bed, lol! good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2012, 08:53 AM

I too am a side sleeper! Pillows behind me, one between my knees, and a soft flat one under my belly gets me comfy.
Unread 03-20-2012, 08:54 AM

Hi! I am all about pillows, ever since I ruptured a disc in my neck years ago and I have bad shoulders, pillows are my habit! Since I'm a side sleeper, I use a king size/firm pillow. The bottom half is either between my legs or supports my top leg and the upper half is tucked under my arm, tummy and hugged to my chest. I use the pillow on its side rather tan flat and since it is firm the width is taller. My tummy can be supported, my arm can rest in a number of positions that helps keep my chest opened up. This way, there are a number of ways to position myself comfortably.
I took the IBU at night for quite a while. The first 2 weeks I layered the Q-Pap (another drug the Dr. prescribed) with the IBU for pain management. This really helped. Even now, 5 wks out, I still may take an IBU to sleep better. Sometimes I still need it during the day too. Comfort is all about you and me and all our sisters!
Here is the truth about pillows and me! I actually use 3 pillows. One for my head, which gets squished and moved around and another for my bottom arm which is not at all comfortable laying flat on the bed plus my king pillow!
I hope you find some rest soon. It is difficult at first.
Hugs and sound rest for all of us!
Unread 03-20-2012, 09:11 AM

Yeah!!!!!!! Sooooooooo out its possible.... I will be trying this tonight... I'm a side sleeper to and have been going crazy... I'm 1 week post op sufgdry was ln 13 tb also.... Had laproscopic robotic VAH still have ovaries.... While doing that I also had prolapse bladder repair with anterior and postieer vaginal relair caused by prolapse..... SPEEDY RECOVRRY TO ALL....
Unread 03-20-2012, 09:12 AM

Sorry for typos.... =-O
Unread 03-22-2012, 11:56 PM

Oh yes, soft pillow or soft blanket under the sore belly does wonders for being able to sleep on your side. And one behind my back for support also helped.
Unread 03-23-2012, 12:34 AM

For the first two weeks, my small pillow pet was my best friend! held it to my tummy when I coughed or walked around and put it under my belly when I slept on my side. My granddaughter asked me the other day, "Nonna, are you still clutching your pillow pet"? She's nine and thought that was really funny. I told her "you bet"!

Hope you get some restful sleep tonight.
Unread 03-23-2012, 01:47 AM

I use the tummy binder in addition to my pillows. It holds everything snuggly in place when gravity wants to pull it all towards the ground. It's so nice. I put it on in the hospital just a few hours after surgery--I wanted to sleep on my side so badly. But I had an abdominal. Do any daVinci ladies have one?--would it help you too? I kind of think it would, since the pillows are helping.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register