LAVH 9 wks Post Op - Abdominal Pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

9 wks Post Op - Abdominal Pain 9 wks Post Op - Abdominal Pain

Unread 04-25-2012, 09:44 AM
9 wks Post Op - Abdominal Pain

I am now 9 weeks post op and have been doing great up until this past Sat evening when my swelly belly kicked in and I started experiencing a very sharp constant pain on my left side that also caused lower backache as well.

It's been like this constant since Sat evening so today I went into the dr's office for check up -

I had an internal exam which was a tad tender internally and as he pushed on my abdomin and sides I had some very tender spots.

On a scale of 1-10 the pain is about a 6-7 and I have had to resort to popping Advil for the pain...which is something I haven't had to do at all since my 2 week post op.

So to have this new pain is a bit unsettling. I was told it could not be related to the surgery at this point and they consider me 'healed' after 8 weeks. I have normal bowel movements (I'm actually more regular since my hysterectomy), no fever, no other aches or pains and my energy level is really good. So I'm confused.

The dr said he was 99% sure it was not adhesions as you dont get those usually past week 2 post op. I've had no spotting, no pain other then this newest development.

I asked if it was due to ovulation (I still have both ovaries) and was told that the pain I had experienced before with ovulation and periods would be the same I had after the surgery...

I am frustrated and confused....

My mother who had a hysterectomy tells me it's probably just my organs resettling, or a phantom period, or I'm healing slower...but I just dont know.

I also saw a different dr today...since I had this at week 4 and saw my regular Gyno/surgeon he said it was not related to surgery then too.. So I have two opinions that this is not related to surgery...so I ask you this...has anyone else been experiencing this at this time frame of recovery and did it go away?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2012, 10:21 AM
Re: 9 wks Post Op - Abdominal Pain

I still get occasional pain on my side and I am 4 months plus post op. It can take up to a year for your body to completely heal internally. Also, if you kept your ovaries you will still ovulate even though you no longer have periods.

For me personally it is getting better every week and I only have pain when I over do the lifting or the exercise.
Unread 04-25-2012, 11:50 AM

I think what frustrates me I know I'm still healing and have pain but Drs say nope your healed....like that helps! But thank you so much for responding to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2012, 12:29 PM

Since you are about four-five weeks from your past feeling pain on one side, I would hazard a guess that it is probably cycle related, since they've ruled out the other stuff. I never really noticed any pain related to ovulation before my hyst. (2 days before yours) but absolutely feel it now! I had intermittent cramping on my left side last week, an emotional blowout with the universe on Friday, and hot flashes last night! So I chalked it up to ovulation... seems as if it happened about a month ago as well..... hope that is the case for you also!
Unread 04-25-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigicoco View Post
I think what frustrates me I know I'm still healing and have pain but Drs say nope your healed....like that helps! But thank you so much for responding to help.
I am sorry that your doctor seems to think you are all healed up, like the magical number is week 8 and that is it. I don't know about you, but I did not wake up at week 8 and say "Phew, that is all over now. Time to put all that behind me." haha!! While I am not experiencing the pain you are describing, I am having some issues with severe pain coming from the area where my bladder is located. I am also having a horrible pinching pain when I pee. My doctor told me today (I am 10 weeks now, so similar time frame as you) that it could be an adhesion, blood clot, or nerve issue. She also told me "full" healing can take a year. So apparently her and your doctor are not reading from the same book when it comes to healing and adhesions. Just shows you there are so many differing opinions out there. I am having a ct scan on Monday to find out what is up with me and my issue. If you really feel there is a problem, maybe see another doctor and get a second opinion.
Best wishes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register