TAH mornings are the worst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

mornings are the worst mornings are the worst

Unread 11-16-2013, 11:02 AM
mornings are the worst

I am 3 weeks and 2 days post op and mornings are the worst. Everyday starts off with a couple hours of excruciating pain. I have been on a daily regimen of stool softners and probiotics because as i increase my daily activity i am still needing the pain pills. Once my body is through eliminating everything i consumed the previous day i am left with intense abdominal and pelvic pain As long as my 6 week check up looks good my dr will release me back to my daily duties as a childcare worker but i cant imagine continuing to go through this every morning as i try to get myself and son ready for school. I am a slow healer but how long will these painful mornings last????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2013, 11:55 AM
Re: mornings are the worst

I found (and some women will agree) week 3 and 4 were the most painful weeks of recovery. That's exactly when I started to do a little more, walk a little farther etc. Although I never experienced any terrible pain, I knew for sure when I over did it and i would feel it more at night Keep resting as much as you can. Hope you feel better soon!
Unread 11-16-2013, 12:17 PM

Rest is what i crave and yet so hard to come by. I feel like if i dont walk or accomplish something during the day i have failed myself. My drive to do more and yet let my body heal are at constant battle. I feel so crazy :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2013, 12:45 PM

Take it week by week. You are still quite early in your recovery, and your body is still healing. Every week, you will notice more improvement, even if it is gradual. Weeks 3 and 4 post op were still a bit challenging, but my stamina started increasing more by week 5. It is common to still have some fatigue, and mild pain even by week 6, but the intense pain should decrease by then. If you are having intense pain by 6 weeks, make certain to discuss it with your surgeon. You mentioned that you are taking stool softeners and probiotics. I am still dealing with occasional constipation and have found that a natural laxative with Senna leaf (I use Smooth Move tea by Traditional Medicinals) is very effective, gentle and does not cause any cramping. Even at almost 9 weeks post op TAH, I experience some pelvic pain if I strain to have a bm. I pray that you will continue to heal well. I am also a child care worker (in a day care center), so I understand how much physical stamina is needed at work. Keep resting when you can, and try to build up your stamina gradually.
Unread 11-16-2013, 02:00 PM

Although at my 2 week appt i told my dr i was stopping my pain meds, im going to call on monday to re-discuss this decision. Im a slow healer and very pain intolerant and i feel like i am just suffering. Over the counter pain mwds have never provided me with relief before surgeries or now. I dont like being so dependant on pain meds but just "dealing" with my pain i feel is not helping my emotional well being either :/
Unread 11-16-2013, 03:53 PM

You are wise to discuss your pain management with your doctor. You may also want to make an appointment before 6 weeks, in case there is a complication that is contributing to your intense pain. Initial recovery from a TAH is 6-8 weeks. This is your time to heal and rest. Listen to nobody else besides your doctor and your body during this time about how you should feel/what your activity level should be. You will have plenty of time to resume all your regular physical activities when your doctor clears you and when you are back at work. If there is a day when you can only walk for awhile and need to rest, that is okay. You should not overdue a physical activity if it is causing extreme pain. Even at 4 weeks, I had days when I just needed a day, once in a while, to stay in my pajamas all day, and take it easy. I hope your doctor is able to provide you the support and meds that you need to feel better. Hugs.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register