Herbal products after hyst?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Herbal products after hyst?? Herbal products after hyst??

Unread 08-11-2001, 07:49 PM
Herbal products after hyst??

I was just a little curious about the use of herbal dietary products after the surgery. I would like to shed a few extra pounds and I was thinking that while I'll be off my feet for 6wks it would be a good time?? My friend has assured me that there are only trace amounts of herbs in this product. Is this a wise thing or should I wait? Any suggestions? thanks all , Dawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2001, 08:07 PM

I think that it's really important to eat very well during your recovery, especially at first. Your body goes through a huge trauma, and it needs to get strong in order to heal.

Instead of trying to lose weight using supplements and herbal products, I'd recommend eating fresh, raw, healthy foods (but avoid gassy stuff in the beginning!) and drinking plenty of water and juice. You'll need to keep your bowels moving, and build strong new tissue as you heal.

If you start to develop healthier eating habits during this period, you may find you won't need the herbal stuff. JMHO, but I'd save that for later. You don't want to deprive your body of everything it may need in order to heal properly.

And please remember not to take any herbals before surgery!!

All the best to you!

Karen
Unread 08-11-2001, 08:45 PM

Hi Dawn-- I was about 50 lbs. overweight before my TVH with repairs. I know I have lost weight but not how much, I have
avoided the scales on purpose. My face is not as bloated nor or my clothes as tight, and I can tell my legs are smaller. I have tried to eat healthier. I have also taken advantage of the fact that my stomach shrunk. Now even a restaurant meal comes home in a doggy bag, just too much food. Before I would have ate it all ( I had a mother that told me how the African children would have loved to have my peas so clean your plate) and I carried this fear of waste into being an adult. I probably would have ordered dessert too. I agree with Karen, your body needs the nutrients in the food to heal. I also either cut out the 3 pepsi's I had a day to 1/2 a can or 1/2 every 3 days or so. The cut back in Pepsi alone has gone a long way. I was taking pain meds the entire first week every 4-6 hours. Because of the repair I used them 2-3 times a day the second week. The third week I got an infection from the surgery and was issued more. I used these 1-2 times a day. I was finally med free at 4 weeks. This Tuesday is my 5th week post op. You have no clue howthese herbal products can effect your meds or even how long you will need them. I felt so great at 2 weeks, that if you had told me 3 days later, I would be starting up with an infection, I would have said you were nuts! I am a great herbal fan too. But I cut them all out 2 wees prior to surgery and won't use again until I get the clearance, hopefully Wednesday. I wish you the best of luck---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2001, 08:59 PM

Hi Dawn

I agree with Karen: when you're recovering from a major surgery is not the ideal time to go on a diet. You need to eat well, in order to recover well. You also need sufficient energy to recover. Energy comes from calories. Those calories are essential to regenerate your cells.

Furthermore, even though those herbal products may only have trace amounts of herbs, the herbs are still present. Some of those herbs interfere with the meds you'll receive during surgery and others thin your blood. You should ALWAYS check with your doctor before taking ANY meds, natural or not, before surgery and during your recovery. Herbs fall in the natural meds category.

Your best bet to loose weight is to eat a well-balanced diet - those herbs do not help you form healthy eating habits (take it from one who knows: I've tried them before, lost weight and put it all back on almost immediately after I resumed normal eating habits) and on an adequate exercise programs (something you will not be able to do, immediately post-op).

Concentrate on being as healthy as possible pre-op and continue with those healthy eating habits after your surgery.

Best of luck in your quest for answers.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register