tummy sleeper | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

tummy sleeper tummy sleeper

Unread 05-24-2004, 10:59 AM
tummy sleeper

Can anyone tell me how long it was before they could sleep on their tummy again after surgery? I have a hard time getting comfy on my sides or back. I remember how frustrated I felt when I was pregnant with both of my kids. I was on my tummy as soon as I was wheeled back into my room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2004, 11:07 AM
tummy sleeper

There are lots of posts about tummy sleepers and our common quest for sleeping comfort.

I started out propped up in bed, couple of pillows under my head, one under my knees, and a cotton blanket folded pretty small laying across my tummy to give me the "feel" of tummy pressure so I could sleep when I first got home.

After about a week, I figured out that if I laid on my side with a pillow under my tummy chub (I'm a plus size gal), that I would at least be able to not be sleeping on my back. Over the last few weeks, I've gradually moved to where the pillow was between my knees, then my "downside" leg was more and more straight and "upside" leg more and more bent so that it rested on the pillow and I was half on my side, halfway onto my tummy.

I'm 5 weeks post op today, and the last few mornings I have awakened with that pillow shoved off onto the floor and I'm completely on my tummy sleeping soundly. Yesterday I had enough nerve to gently lay down across my bed on my tummy, but it didn't last very long before I felt like I needed to move. Maybe I'm just still nervous about 'things'.

But, that's me. Everyone heals differently. It's all a matter of what positions you can comfortably get in and out of.
Unread 05-24-2004, 12:40 PM
tummy sleeper

I use a body size pillow and am able to position myself so I can sleep on my tummy. I kinda lay on my side with the pillow under me, and my tummy is resting kinda between the pillow and the bed. It took a long time to figure it out, but it works.

Practice with pillows and find a position that works for you.

Good luck!

Leslie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2004, 01:05 PM
tummy sleeper

Hey there!!

At 1 1/2 weeks post op from having a TAH/BSO, I was able to go ahead and start sleeping on my tummy again.

You just have to listen to your body. Mine was telling me I was ready. You just have to be careful and not strain yourself. I have been sleeping on my stomach ever since and I have healed very quickly.

Best wishes and happy sleeping!!!

Tonja
Unread 05-24-2004, 01:21 PM
tummy sleeper

In addition to my "female" stuff, I also have Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Laying on my tummy has always been one of those things that could make me feel better when it was acting up the most.

One thing I have noticed in these last few days - tummy sleeping evidently helps my body deal with gas, or else it's a huge coincidence. I've had much less bloating and discomfort lately, and I haven't changed one other thing about diet, exercise, water intake, etc.
Unread 05-24-2004, 03:41 PM
tummy sleeper

I'm also a tummy sleeper and it wasn't easy the first few weeks. The nurses had me use a pillow, folded, between my knees, and another pillow on the front of my stomach, to help me sleep on my side. I did that for the first 2wks. Then I was able to sleep w/o the pillows, but still on my side. The last few mornings I woke up on my stomach. I'm 4wks. post op. I've also been taking tylenol pm to help me sleep. I think it's gonna be awhile before I get a good night sleep w/o taking anything. Best of luck ,
Dorene
Unread 05-24-2004, 04:01 PM
tummy sleeper

I've always been a tummy sleeper. I have a "trick" that even got me through all but the last weeks of my pregnancies... I lay on my tummy and lift one knee up at a 90 degree angle to my body. This takes a lot of weight off the tummy. I was able to comfortably sleep that way the night I came home from the hospital after my TAH. Everyone is different though--I was very lucky not to have incision pain. I think my belly was too numb to be sore! The nurses told me if it didn't hurt me, it couldn't hurt me, if that makes any sense...! Some people have a lot of pain, and can't do the tummy sleeping thing for a while. Like someone else said, your body will tell you when it's ok!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register