If you've had dysplasia.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

If you've had dysplasia.... If you've had dysplasia....

Unread 01-11-2002, 03:09 PM
If you've had dysplasia....

Help by giving me opinions! I had severe dysplasia 12 years ago. They had to do a cone. Now I've had a pap come back with atypical glandular cells. The doctor warned me that if it came back inconclusive, the next standard step would be a cone biopsy. But because of other stuff, they can't do a cone vaginally, so it would have to be through the abdomen.

Of course it came back inconclusive. But now the doctor is saying he want to do an hysterectomy because he doesn't believe I have enough cervix to do a surgical biopsy. I'm at a loss....and scheduled for next Tuesday! How did we go from doing a surgical biopsy to an hysterectomy? I asked him and he said just repeated that he doesn't believe I have enough cervix to cut on.
I'm going to an gyno-oncologic surgeon on Monday to ask his opinion.

But here's what's running in my mind:
So why did he talk about the surgical biopsy if it wasn't possible? What changed his mind?

And if the surgeon could do it, is it worth it to be cut open for a biopsy? I don't even have a for sure dx of dysplasia yet! Or am I kidding myself, and need to go the other way....if I'm going to have a surgical biopsy, just go ahead and lose almost the entire risk of getting the cancer in the future?

Help! It's driving me nuts (and I'm not able to concentrate on driving right now)! I really appreciate this website, but I'm feeling a little down because so many people here are happy to be getting an hysterectomy. I'm scared of the sexual side-effects, and other risks. Where are all of you that had to do it and weren't thrilled to be losing it?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-11-2002, 07:01 PM

I can't offer much on the dysplasia question, but your situation has so many questions involved with it that I want to encourage you to go through with your second opinion. And don't be afraid to ask your current doctor how he got from biopsy to
hysterectomy.

Ask questions. Insist on answers that make sense for you and keep asking until you feel answered. Unless there's some emergency, I think a woman should never just go ahead with this surgery if she still has unanswered questions. You keep asking questions and get the best care you can!

Good luck with your doctors and your decision.
Unread 01-11-2002, 09:36 PM

My doctor didn't have any problems doing a biopsy but it was my first one. I have heard that after a cone, it can be difficult to get a biopsy. I really do agree that a second opinion is never a bad thing. It will make you feel better and considering that this doctor has told you two different things, I am thinking that a second opinion may very well be a great idea.
Please feel free to come over to the Cancer Concerns Forum. There are a lot of women there who will be more than glad to share their experiences with you too! Hope to see you there!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2002, 04:56 AM

Hi there, sorry you are feeling so scared but it is perfectly normal considering what you are going through right now.

When I was first diagnosed with my cervical dysplasia I was just stunned , shocked , scared to death. but I agree with the other girls... if you are not sure about what the Dr is saying go for a second opinion.... just do it as soon as possible. At first , I didnt want a hysterectomy but then decided I wanted it OUT !!

I have never heard of a cone biopsy being done vaginally but anything is possible these days.

I would also like to invite you to the CANCER CONCERNS forum where the ladies have all had some experience with cancer in their lives.

Best of luck with any decisions you make and please do let us know how it all goes .
Unread 01-12-2002, 03:35 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely getting the second opinion first thing Monday morning.

I understand why my cervix may not have enough on it for a biopsy but I don't understand why that was an option at first for at least trying it, and now it's disappeared.

My husband is stuck on whether I should be considering an hysterectomy at all because all of these results are inconclusive. It would be much easier to accept if something came back with "dysplasia" on it, but I've only had "Atypical glandular cells" on the pap, and the colpo biopsy says all the cells available are benign but that the transformation zone cells (glandular) are not present so they can't rule anything out.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register