2008: Fibroids after 50 and post-menopause? *2008* - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2008: Fibroids after 50 and post-menopause? *2008* 2008: Fibroids after 50 and post-menopause? *2008*

Unread 07-29-2015, 05:08 PM
2008: Fibroids after 50 and post-menopause? *2008*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se3wlil View Post
I am 67 years old and am completely phobic about all things medical. After suffering with back pain, bloated belly and what I consider pelvic pain, my daughter made an appointment for me with her OB-GYN, as a result I found out I have a rather large uterine fibroid. The Dr. did a US and a pap which came back normal. She said to re check in 4-6 mo. I am due for my appointment in mid July.
I am thankful to have found this web sight and to know that these are all common symptoms of the fibroid. My next big hurdle is to overcome the fear of surgery that may be required to rid myself of the fibroid and the symptoms.
I thank you ladies for the encouragement I see you offering to each other. I pray that I will be able to attack this trial in my life and be an encourager also.
Hi Sewlil....I am 64 and like you I am very phobic about all things medical. For about the last week I have had a very low pelvic discomfort/ pain and a low back ache and some feeling of heaviness in my upper legs. No bleeding of any kind. Of course I have to go Out of town on Saturday to visit family and so cannot see a Dr until I return plus I am scared to death to even go. I am thinking worse things than fibroids but my sister suggested it might be that.
Did you experience any of the symptoms I have? Thanks for any help. / Lois
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2016, 12:54 AM
Re: Fibroids after 50 and post-menopause?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegramma View Post
I had my hysterectomy 03-24-11 and it was total hysterectomy. Ovaries, tubes, and cervix. They took the cervix as it had become so atrophied they were unable to get a viable pap smear done so we decided it was better safe than sorry...my only only regret is that I am now experiencing hot flashes and night sweats again. My doctor says this should not be happening as I had been post menopausal for nearly 10 years at the time of my TAH...I was healing very well but as to many of us I did to much to fast once my doctor released me and now at nearly 7 mos I am having some minor issues.

I would really recommend talking to your doctor about the possibility of a second go round of the menopause symptoms and please pamper the princess and take the time to heal correctly...good luck
Sorry that you went through the 2nd menopause. I am 48 and have large Fibroids. I am nowhere near menopause. I found this post helpful. Hysterectomy is not the option that I want . So I am having the Acessa procedure done to my fibroids.

My dr indicated , like all other doctors, that my fibroids will stop growing when I get to my menapu. I hope that is true, but it seems like a lot of members here have problems even after menopause. So hard to make decision.

Good luck to you and all the ladies
Unread 01-12-2017, 12:46 AM

I had my surgery 2 months ago...I'm over 50 and had fibroids that I didn't even know existed....they caused me no pain or heavy bleeding. My doctor did a hysteroscopy and a d&c in July....all results were normal. Then in September I had a period....I only called my doc because I wanted to know if I was going to start having my period again. At my visit he was literally scheduling my hysterectomy as he came through the door. I questioned wether I'd gone through menopause and he said yes I had. I agreed to the surgery....worst decision I've ever made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2017, 08:47 AM
Re: 2008: Fibroids after 50 and post-menopause?

I was embolized with UAE (aka UFE) at 51. I had very heavy bleeding and a 9cm fibroid that had grown almost 2 cm the year prior. My bleeding stopped immediately after the procedure and my fibroid has shrunk approximately 90%. That was 4 and a half years ago. My shrinking occurred slowly over time with the majority of it occurring the first 9 months.

It's a slow process however it is a grossly underused solution to problematic fibroids. There was no way I was going to consider a major life changing surgery as a first alternative. Drug therapy was not an option I was open to either as I barely take an aspirin.

Interventional Radiology is an advanced science and the procedure far less invasive. Many post they fear the pain associated with embolization however I had none. My bleeding fibroid caused far greater pain!!

I would encourage anyone concerned with over diagnosis and the contemplation of a major surgery to look into this option.

It literally gave me my life back and I have my hormones!
Unread 01-12-2017, 10:04 AM

I wish I had been informed that I had other options. My fibroids weren't bleeding or causing me pain. My doctor said because I had a period after two years that a hysterectomy was my only choice. He said I was post menopausal....he was wrong.
Unread 04-04-2017, 06:27 PM

Hi
I just read your post. I realize it's been years since you posted but can you tell me if your results were benign? I'm having abdominal midline hysterectomy this Monday for growing fibroids. I'm 60 and so scared. MRI said it could be degenerative large fibroid or leiomyosarcoma. Very curious how your surgery went and how you are doing today.
Thank you!
QUOTE=QueenLizard;2786045]I'm 56, post menopausal without HRT and have 1 large "symptomatic" fibroid and some smaller ones. That grew after menopause. The large fibroid, about 10cm, is pressing on my bladder.

And on Tuesday I'm having a TAH/BSO. Not so much because of the bladder issues, but to rule out a sarcoma.

Uterine sarcomas are REALLY, REALLY rare. But your fibroid should not continue to grow post menopause.

My Gyn had two ultrasounds to confirm it was growing plus a blood test to see the lack of estrogen in my system. Then an MRI.

If you are not on HRT and if these fibroids are growing (and especially if you have any bleeding) please talk with your Gynecologist.

I personally think if you get all the way through menopause you should get a pass, but apparently it doesn't always work that way.

I'm not happy about losing my uterus, especially as it never gave me any grief the way some women here have suffered.

The only way to rule out a sarcoma is through a hysterectomy with its attending pathology reports. A biopsy won't get it done. They have to slice and dice and look at everything under the microscope!

Please don't let the fear of a hysterectomy stop you from getting the care you need. Hyster Sisters are always promoting getting a second/third opinion.

When I saw an interventional radiologist she referenced Hamlet. Hamlet, you know where everyone is dead at the end of the play! She said of my largest fibroid "something smells rotten here" "something is outside the norm". She also said she was going to be very interested in my pathology report. These are the kind of doctor visits that make you long to drink!

Everyone is different, but we all need quality care and support. Please let me know how you are doing. I feel alone often on this board with its younger women, but grateful for all the support.[/quote]
Unread 04-04-2017, 09:28 PM

You're not alone. I was embolized at 51 and am 56 now. I only hang around to help others know their options if saving their uterus is the preference. I was adamant I was going to keep my uterus until I had a definitive diagnosis of cancer. I had many presumed speculations of potential cancer however I was not going to be swayed by fear.
My fibroid grew 2 cm that last year. They don't always shrink at menopause. I might seek a final opinion by a top rated IR then make a decision. The statement from yours seems extremely unprofessional. I might have wanted a drink too. My IR thought I was crazy but I persisted and it was a good choice! My Mom had a hysterectomy in her 60's because her long dormant fibroid began to bleed. Had she known of embolization she would have tried that first since cancer is rare in our family. Apparently there are hormone fluctuations in our later years. I presume to protect our hearts, bones and minds as we age. Menopause is a time of wisdom and grace.
Unread 04-15-2017, 07:49 AM

Hi! I am 60 years old, 12 years post menopause and My gyne felt what she thought was a fibroid. Transvaginal ultrasound revealed 6 cm solid ad exam mass and endometrial hyperplasia. Still not sure if it is a fibroid or not, waiting on results of CA 125 and will have an endometrial biopsy in a week. I was never told that I had a fibroid before and I agree that everything I read says you typically do not have growing fibroids after menopause. Good luck to you...
Unread 04-28-2017, 11:01 AM

Update: CA 125 was normal, so relieved. Had an endometrial biopsy last week and will receive results on Monday. Sounds like a hysterectomy is in my future which I believe is the correct thing to do because of the symptoms of pelvic fullness and urinary urgency. My uterus has served me well but based on the positive responses I have found on this site, I am looking forward to the surgery. Thanks to everyone who has posted. When I read that women are going through a similar situation, it is very helpful. Peace.
Unread 08-01-2017, 04:02 PM

I see this is an older thread, but wow, this fits me to a T! I have been diagnosed as having two medium sized fibroids, and the option to have a TAH has been given to me, but I've been hesitant. However, now I'm wondering if my back aches and very slight bladder issues which developed over the last year aren't being caused by the fibroids... I also had attributed it to age, but I just didn't have enough data to corroborate it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register