I think I may be losing my mind (what's left of it) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I think I may be losing my mind (what's left of it) I think I may be losing my mind (what's left of it)

Unread 07-05-2005, 12:50 PM
I think I may be losing my mind (what's left of it)

I am so glad the Dr.'s office was closed for the fourth of July yesterday. I was ready to call and tell them to cancel the surgery (7/11). Just felt really scared yesterday. I keep seeing posts that others are going through the same thing, so I guess it's pretty normal. I know this is what I have to do, but I can't help having doubts and thinking "The take-your-breath-away cramps and the 3-4 periods every 2 months isn't THAT bad". Just preop jitters, I hope. That's what I keep trying to tell myself anyway. I will just be glad when 7/12 gets here and it's all over with!!

Best wishes to all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-05-2005, 01:36 PM

jsd514

Sounds like you really could use a couple of hugs. I'm not as far into my recovery as a lot of women ( 1 week today ) but I do know it was the best thing for me.

But that doesn't mean I didn't go absolutely looney before the surgery! It was all DH could do not to either laugh at me, get mad at me, or commit me. I was constantly back and forth.
Should I do it? Should I not? It was awful.

But so was my pain. And bleeding. And everything the pain and bleeding affected. It sounds like you've decided what's best for you and your nervous. I understand. This is a difficult time for so many women... but you have tons of support here. And just think about how pretty you'll look in your new crown! to be.
Good luck and best wishes!
Unread 07-05-2005, 05:01 PM

I hope this weeks passes quickly for you, jsd514. It is scary waiting for the day to approach. It might not hurt to let your doctor know how you are feeling....make sure all your questions are answered.

Hang in there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-05-2005, 05:09 PM
fear is normal

Hi - I'm new to this site. This is my first response so I hope I'm doing it right. I had my surgery 2 weeks ago. I was sooooo afraid but committed to the surgery as I was more afraid of the cancer I could get than I was of the surgery. I talked to literally everyone I knew or met before my surgery for the support and it helped. The day of the surgery I was very quiet and just decided to accept my "fate". I was very calm and resigned to the fact that it was about to happen. Just keep saying "this too will pass" and before you know it you'll be in your recovery period and you'll be so proud of yourself. Good luck and God Bless.
Unread 07-05-2005, 05:23 PM

It's okay to be nervous, trust me I know. My surgery is not until July 25th and I'm about to drive my family crazy. One minute I keep thinking maybe I can just deal with it but next I know it's the right decision. This sight has really been a blessing to me. Just keep thinking after it's over there will be no more pain or visits from Aunt Flo. I know I can't wait for her to just leave me alone. She decided to make one last appearance and trust me she came with a bang. So I can't wait until it's all over and I can send her packing
Unread 07-05-2005, 05:39 PM

JSD514,
I know what you mean. I kept saying things weren' tTHAT bad - I could handle a period ever 3 months, and the cramps weren't unbearable, etc., but I knew I should have my TAH done. Went for my pre-op on 6/22 and was to have surery on 6/30, but Dr. misread her schedule and was going away that night, so my surgery was moved to 6/23. There was no way I wanted to wait any longer!!! I was getting really anxious before and now I had no more time to think about it. It was happening! I do have to admit, I read the good and bad on the site and I think that made me a bit nervous, but at least I knew if I had some weird pain here or there or something funky come up, more often than not it was normal.
My surgery went well - didn't really have any pain at all, just cramping like early contractions. I was pleasantly surprised. Like I have read time and time again....the waiting is the hardest part!!
Unread 07-05-2005, 07:39 PM

You ladies are fantastic!!! It's so nice to know you're out there and I'm not alone. The only person I know who has had a hysterectomy is my mom and all she says is that I'll do better than I think I will. I remember when she had her hysterectomy, though. I had to do all the cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc. In her mind, she recovered VERY quickly and was right back to normal. Thankfully, DH is (at this point anyway----he hasn't actually had to start doing all this stuff himself) very supportive and wants me to make sure I take the whole six weeks to recover. I think he might change his mind about 2 weeks or so in when he has to work, take care of the kids, cook, clean, etc. LOL!!!! He doesn't know what he's in for!
Unread 07-06-2005, 02:55 PM

My husband keeps telling me he'll let me know when he thinks I'm "milking it". I told him that was fine, but I was going to cry - I've been crying a lot over stupid things because I just feel so helpless!!! I've been quite lucky to have DH, DS, and DM here to help with everything. Very slowly I'll get back to business but to tell you the truth I am scared to overdo it and put my recovery back any further that it already is. DM is here for another week and that will take me to 3 weeks post-op and then we'll just see how things go! Your mom is probably right when she says you'll do better than you think - I am a total whimp and it wasn't half as bad as I have envisioned (the surgery, that is). The not being able to do much is the pits though! Take care and good luck - it WILL be fine!
Unread 07-06-2005, 04:09 PM

I'm right behind you..July 11th is my date, and last night I asked DH if he would be upset with me if I called and canceled the surgery. He looked at me and said "NO WAY" we've waited long enough for this and your going to do it. I think this is one of the biggest fears we all have, I just hope I make it until Monday..oohhhhh..

Ann

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register