Urination Problems? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Urination Problems? Urination Problems?

Unread 01-17-2007, 03:04 PM
Urination Problems?

Vag. hysterectomy 1/12, cervix removal, kept ovaries.
Still Having problems with full stream of urine 5 days post-op. No cathedar put in following surgery. Required 2 straight catherizations day of surgery.
Anyone esperience this too?

fibroids, heavy bleeding, enlarged uterus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2007, 03:35 PM
Urination Problems?

Ges, yes-I too had trouble for the first week..even into the second w/urination flow. Drink lots of water is what I unfortunately learned, because I was o.k for the first two weeks, then I developed a UTI and believe me that was not fun at all. My personal advice is try not to strain yourself. It only makes it worse. You have to get up every 5 or 10min and go to the bathroom, so be it. Your not alone! *hugs*
Unread 01-18-2007, 07:43 AM
Urination Problems?

I also found it helped to run the tap water when trying to go. If you can reach the sink, placing your hand under the water can help a lot! Otherwise, bringing a warm mug of water to place your hand in may help.

I was skeptical about the running water thing, but it did the trick for me at the hospital! And remember to relax! 9thmuse is right about not straining.

Good luck princess!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2007, 08:18 AM
Urination Problems?

I had those problems too, esp. after having a catheter for 1 week after surgery. Besides the running water, leaning forward a bit and rubbing or tapping your lower abdomen helps relax the muscles. I was so glad to get the catheter out that I could be patient with running to the bathroom frequently. I am now 3 wks from surgery and my bladder is working almost completely normally. It just takes time for your bladder to get back in practice.
Unread 01-18-2007, 09:40 AM
urination problems are common post-op

Dear Ges:

Just to let you know, urination problems are very common post-op. It is because your bladder and your uterus were actually attached to each other and the doctor has to separate the two during your surgery. So swelling of the bladder is very common post-op, as are urinary tract infections. I had problems following my TAH/BSO of Nov. 16, 2005.

My doctor told me about an over-the-counter medicine called AZO? , or Uristat, it is a non-prescription med that actually causes your urine to turn almost orange color. I took that for 3 days straight and it really helped my urinary frequency and pain. So you might want to call your Doctor and ask if it is OK if you try it!!

Best of luck to you in your recovery!!
Joanne
Unread 01-18-2007, 01:38 PM
Urination Problems?

totally normal to have the urination problems post op.
lean forward and at the same time split apart your legs so you are straddling the toilet-- i know, lovely visual, but that seemed to help me... change your position around, sometimes leaning back on the toilet, also worked... just sit there for a few minutes if you have to... it will get better, but not right away... i am 10 months out and still have trouble "getting started" about 90% of the time. i have learned to be patient and just hang out with a good magazine-- get my mind off it!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register