It's Done!!!! 90% of Mesh Removed | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

It's Done!!!! 90% of Mesh Removed It's Done!!!! 90% of Mesh Removed

Unread 01-16-2007, 03:31 PM
It's Done!!!! 90% of Mesh Removed

Hi Everyone!
Thank you all so much for keeping me in your thoughts. Your posts have kept me smiling and my heart warmed with your care and concern for me.
My surgery was delayed one hour because the Uro/Gyn ended up having a more time consuming case than he thought, just before mine. I received some beautiful flowers from my office while I was still in Pre-op so all the pre-op staff stopped by to smell and admire them which kept me busy. My Gyn was able to get priviledges to assist my surgery so he spent his time with me and DH in the pre-op room while waiting to scrub with the Uro/Gyn. So all in all the extra waiting time was not nerve wracking. And because we had to wait beyond the scheduled time they gave DH a voucher for $10 to use in the cafe.
The surgery went well. The Uro/Gyn said that he was able to remove about 90% of the mesh. He said it was totally encapsulated and he saw what he suspected, an inflammatory reaction due to allergy. He's still sending it out to pathiology so I'm anxious to hear the results. Thankfully there was still enough of my own vaginal tissue to plicate the ends together and no grafting of any kind was needed.
My Gyn went out to see DH later and told him that the mesh looked like it was pulling in all the wrong places and it was no wonder I was in so much pain. He told him that he would call me in a few days so I'm anxious to hear all the details.
I was delayed in recovery for 4 hours because they didn't have a bed for me. That little stretcher is not at all comfortable to lie in for that long a time. They did let DH into recovery to sit with me. Again because of the inconvenience they gave DH another $10 voucher to use for food or parking.
The nursing staff was amazing! I had the best of the best. So far I am still in quite a bit of pain and haven't noticed a huge difference. The one thing I do notice is that I don't feel like I have a permanent "wedgy" anymore. I am following the Dr's orders to a "T" and keeping my fingers crossed that I finally have a textbook recovery! I'm sure I will be on Hystersisters frequently in the next 4 weeks.
Thanks again to all my Hyster Friends.
Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2007, 03:35 PM

Lovely to have you back Michelle and to get such an upbeat report.I am so pleased for you and wish you all the best for a perfect textbook recovery this time. Barbara x
Unread 01-16-2007, 04:55 PM

Hey, I have been looking for an update. Should be working but logged on to check! You have been in my thoughts and prayers. I am so glad to hear the good report. It sounds like it went as well as it could have. I hope the pain gets better soon. It is time you got a break! Keep in touch!!! Kathie
Unread 01-16-2007, 07:06 PM

I am so happy that you came through so well!!!! I'm sure that after you have healed you will feel so much better. Please keep us posted on how you are doing. Of course I have a vested interest in every detail because I am scheduled to have my mesh removed on Febr. 6.

Hang in there and take your pain pills.

Carol
Unread 01-16-2007, 08:26 PM

Michelle,

That is such wonderful news! You really deserve it after all you've been through. Congrats!

I hope the pain subsides soon. Stay on top of it with your meds.

Unread 01-16-2007, 10:44 PM

Hi Michelle,
I am so happy that you made it through the surgery well and that they were able to remove so much of the mesh.
I think you will be much better off now!
I had some permanent sutures removed about 4 weeks ago and am still healing. There were several that attatched the vagina to the uterosacral ligaments and created tension, back pain and bowell problems. I feel better now that most of them have been removed and am just hoping that everything doesn't fall out...so far, so good!
I was a bit too active after my surgery, so make sure you take it real easy.
I will be anxious to hear how you do and will watch for your posts.
Take care!!!
Unread 01-17-2007, 08:02 AM

Michelle,
Please take it easy for more than just 4 weeks. I want you totally healed and over all of this permanently! I am so glad to hear that you had enough tissue to close the area, I was worried about the graft. Hugs girl, get some rest!
Unread 01-17-2007, 10:28 AM

90%--Excellent, Michelle! I wonder if because it was encapsulated they were able to remove more than they might have been able to otherwise? Anyways, that is good news. I'm curious, if they suspect an allergic reaction, what do they expect to find from pathology? Do they think it might also have been infected or something like that? Let's hope they find something that will help in preventing this in the future for other people.

Be sure to be a good and follow all the post-op recovery rules. May your post-op pain go away ASAP. Sending S.....
Unread 01-17-2007, 10:52 AM

How long did your surgery take? Did your doctor talk to you about possible complications? I scheduled my surgery, but want to know what info other doctors give their patients about complications.

I'm sure you are glad you finally got this over with--especially since you were actually allergic to the stuff!

Now that I have the surgery scheduled I have to concentrate on figuring out the logistics. You've been through so many surgeries--its mind boggling how much energy it must have taken to get everything set up in your life to have the surgery done and then to take the time to recover well. I'm glad you were so successful in getting out most of the mesh. Now you can recover and move on with your life! What a relief that must be!!!

Take care of yourself--and thanks for sharing what is happening to you. It gives me courage to move forward.
Unread 01-17-2007, 11:04 AM

OrahDeb, the Uro/Gyn told me he would expect to see many Mast cells with an inflammatory reaction due to allergy. He did not see any active signs of infection, just chronic inflammation.
I am being a good and taking the Oxycodone and Motrin to control the pain. The Uro/Gyn told me to drink 1/4 bottle of Mag Citrate every day for the next 4 days as he is worried that straining with my first BM will be consequential. I have the feeling that I need to go but the slightest bit of pressure feels like I'm being sliced with knives so I am trying to drink a lot of water and eating lots of fiber. I'm afraid there will be some crying with the first BM and I'm not looking forward to it!!!
Michelle

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register