6 months after total hysterectomy what exercises are safe to do | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 months after total hysterectomy what exercises are safe to do 6 months after total hysterectomy what exercises are safe to do

Unread 05-08-2015, 07:15 AM
6 months after total hysterectomy what exercises are safe to do

Hello. I am 6 months after total hysterectomy, what in the line of exercising is it safe for me to do. Can I go back to doing weights and step class.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2015, 08:28 AM
Re: 6 months after total hysterectomy what exercises are safe to do

I am sure everyone is going to say go to your doctor,which is what I would recommend. Everyone is different. I can tell you where I am at. My TVH was on 3-26 so I am 6 weeks out as of yesterday. I have been walking since week 2 pretty steady. I did a 5k walk last Saturday at a slow pace. I am also walking every day and trying to get a mile or 2 in. There are days my body says no way and I just get things done I have to around the house. I also am now lifting the laundry basket and grocery bags. I have my check up next Tuesday and I am gong to ask the doctor how its all looking down there. I feel normal but I do have some tough pain if I push it. I also can't sit up for more than a few hours without getting aching pain in my lower abdomen. I think I will be cleared to do some slow lifting at the gym but up until this week I didn't feel like my body could take it.
I have something called a health rider and it is zero impact on my feet and body. I have started to use it again but I notice some aching afterwards. I know the boards here say we are all different and that is so true. I am SOOOO sick of laying around but I know if I take it a little slower I lower my risk of re-injury and I really need that pelvic floor to be super strong!
Good luck and may you be back to everything as soon as possible!
Unread 05-08-2015, 09:03 AM

At 6 months, unless you had complications, etc, you pretty much should be able to do anything. Didn't your dr tell you this in your post op? And as the poster above said, to be safe call and ask your dr. At my 6 week post op, my dr told me that I could do whatever I wanted to do, except that she wanted me to wait a couple of more weeks for intercourse. I started (gradually) back to my old routine immediately and began to work slowly back to where I was pre surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2015, 10:08 AM

I second what coughy16 said.
Unread 05-08-2015, 10:20 AM

At 8 months I tried some core exercises, they set me back about 1 wk. We are all so different in our healing, I'd go slow with anything once released and be cautious, backing off when needed. As many ladies here say, Your body will letcha know. I had had a previous ovary removal before my hyst and pulled scar tissue at 5 months post hyst, just by applying brakes when a car pulled out in front of me. Each case is a different one for sure.
Unread 05-08-2015, 11:19 AM

My life was pretty much back to normal in terms of activities - including abdominal exercise and lifting up to 50 lbs - within 2 months after surgery. I had a TAH with a vertical incision, but I didn't have or need any additional repair work for any sort of prolapse. My surgery was almost two years ago. Because I had cancer, I've been seeing my doc for regular check-ups. Neither he nor I have noticed any signs of prolapse.

I'd suggest checking with your doctor. Unless he's got long-term restrictions for you, you should be okay. Remember that if you've been away from a given exercise for eight months, then you need to gradually build back into it. Don't expect to start off at the same level you left it.
Unread 05-08-2015, 12:06 PM

My Dr said that because of adenomyosis I had deconditioned my muscles and I agree don't expect anything quick. I'd add that I don't even lift 50 lbs now, shows how dift we all are. When I asked my Dr about avoiding prolapse of stuff post hyst, she reminded me not to lift heavy stuff, avoid smoking and weight gain. Good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register