Thinking hys is my best option. Needing relief! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Thinking hys is my best option. Needing relief! Thinking hys is my best option. Needing relief!

Unread 07-20-2013, 03:22 PM
Thinking hys is my best option. Needing relief!

I just found this site today, as I'm laying in a hospital, in pain and with no answers.
In 1998 I had my tubes tied, following the birth of my second child. Due to having a bi-cornuate uterus, difficulty getting pregnant, and the need for repeated c-sections, I felt that was the best choice.
In 2000 I had a tubal pregnancy which required the removal of one of my tubes.
In 2001 we lost our oldest daughter to cancer. Between the tubal pregnancy, losing her, and all the emotions involved in those situations, I began to really regret having my tubes tied. Not that I ever thought I could replace my daughter but I'd always thought I'd be mom to a bunch of kids!
In 2006 we started the process of IVF. I did 2 rounds - one in 2007 and one in 2008. No success.
In 2009 I started having very heavy painful cycles. By the end of that year I had bled for 4 months straight with only about a 5 day break. My doctor tried various treatments but nothing helped, so we scheduled an ablation for January 2010.
I had the ablation done, had a nice recovery, and never bled another day. In 2011 I had a bout with painful ovarian cysts but they seemed to work themselves out.
Fast forward to 9 days ago. I started having abdominal cramps. I thought maybe I was due for a period and it was just regular cramps, so I let it go for a couple days. 6 days ago I couldn't stand the pain and thought maybe it was more cysts, or a kidney stone, so I went to the e.r.
At the e.r. they said I had a mild uti and some small cysts, and sent me home on antibiotics and pain meds. I tried to work through the pain at home but it wasn't getting better. Also I started getting worried because I hadn't had a bowel movement in a few days. So 3 days ago I headed back to the e.r. This time they did an ultrasound and came back saying I had fluid in my uterus, some cysts, and an intestinal ileus. The e.r. doc's main concern was the uterus. I was admitted to the hospital. Once admitted, they focused on the ileus, with meds, enemas, laxatives, etc.
Well here it is 3 days later. The xray shows no ileus yet I'm still having almost unbearable pain, all in my lower abdomen. When I quiz my dr (New dr to me because we just moved to a new state) about it she says we'll work on the uterus after I'm dismissed and come see her at her office. But I'm in so much pain! All that helps is a combo of Tylenol and Toradol. I don't want to be dependent on paid meds just to do basics like showering and walking.
Am I wrong to be longing for a hysterectomy so I can get over the pain? It really is impacting my body and mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Re: Thinking hys is my best option. Needing relief!

We are glad you have found us and hope we can offer you some helpful information and support.
  Quote:
Originally Posted by the3lowes View Post
Am I wrong to be longing for a hysterectomy so I can get over the pain?
No, you are not wrong, except that without a definite diagnosis you don't know that your pain is the uterus and that a hysterectomy would resolve it. There are gyn issues that cause pain that are not cured with a hysterectomy. For instance my own diagnosis, endometriosis. It can still cause pain and symptoms whether or not you have your reproductive organs. Pelvic congestion syndrome (PCS) also is not cured with a hysterectomy. Neither is PCOS and several other issues.

Are you sure your pain right now is the uterus? Have all other health issues been ruled out?

I completely understand wanting to be out of pain, but a hysterectomy can lead to more pain and comes with a long list of risks. Don't hesitate to talk to your doctor about your feelings, but you should also explore other options and be sure the uterus is the source of the pain before considering a hysterectomy.

in there!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register