Confused about keeping cervix | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Confused about keeping cervix Confused about keeping cervix

Unread 05-26-2005, 03:30 PM
Confused about keeping cervix

Hello, im scheduled for surgery on June 06. I have my post op tomorrow. I've done alot of reading about whether or not to keep my cervix. My doctor want to do vaginal surgery. Can I still keep my cervix if she does that? I have endometriosis diagnosed last year. Lots of back pain but not alot of bleeding. Does anyone else out there feel this way. I read alot about heavy bleeding but that is not the case for me. Thanks and I'm sooo glad I found this website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2005, 04:04 PM

When you have a vaginal procedure they have to take the cervix out in order to get to the rest of the stuff that has to be removed.

I hope things will go well for you!
Unread 05-26-2005, 04:13 PM

If you have a vaginal procedure, the cervix comes out as well.

The only way that you could keep a cervix is during an abdominal hyst.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2005, 07:11 PM

If you have endo you may want to talk to your doctor and see if he is recommending not keeping your cervix for a reason. I have read in many posts that keeping the cervix if you have endo can possibly not allow the doc to get it all and it may increase your risks of it starting again at a later time.I know that I had an LSH and kept my cervix....I chose this option so that I would have minimal scarring. Everyone is different and have different options open to them...Hope all goes wonderfully in whichever you choose..hugs
Unread 05-26-2005, 08:20 PM

Thank you ladies for your responses. I will talk to my Dr tomorrow. I had made a decision to keep my cervix I am only 35 and do not want to have other pelvic floor problems later. My endo is moderate however it causes me daily pain. I think if there is even a small chance that keeping the cervix could bring it back I may make the decision to get it out as well. So many questions and thoughts that are going through my mind. Thanks again!
Unread 05-27-2005, 06:36 PM

I wanted to add my 2 cents here. If you have endometriosis I hear that there is also a chance for you to have mini-periods after a supracervical hysterectomy. Keeping the cervix can be done either abdominally with an outside scar or laproscopically if your dr. has those skills. Since the cervix is part of the uterus many women think that when the cervix is gone the periods are gone as well and they can be mistaken. Please make sure it is really worth it to keep your cervix. I've read on another website that if you keep your cervix the chance for having mini-periods increases and as far as pain if the endometriosis is in your cervix you may still have pain. If the cervix is to come out later it is another major surgery. Once the uterus and cervix are taken, the dr. stitches you up and makes a whole new support for the pelvic area. I've read on here that the cervix is about the size of a coat button and some say that it doesn't provide much support for the bladder while others have another opinion. If you are concerned, you can always get another opinion especially with a urologist. Hope this helps. Here is a link about keeping the cervix and other issues are mentioned in the link.

confused about periods
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=172270

Is subtotal hysterectomy suitable for women with adenomyosis?
(adenomyosis is basically an internal endometriosis inside the uterine muscle so there isn't much difference except for the location)
http://www.cmj.org/netprints/01/04/010421.htm
"Yet, the pathological change of adenomyosis is often diffuse[1] and even extends to uterine cervix. Therefore, in this study we make pathological examination on the incisal margin of hysterectomy specimens in the patients with adenomyosis after supracervical hysterectomy to investigate the factors relative to the positive incisal margin of hysterectomy specimens so as to guide the selection of treatment on adenomyosis."

Cervix to leave or not to leave, that is the "O" question!
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...ght=cervixHope
Unread 05-27-2005, 06:47 PM

Hi Tx1970,

If you choose to keep your cefvix, I can suggest you check with your Dr. to see if he does cauterization. I had my cervix cauterized during my hyst and I have not had a mini-period in post-op. I am one year out from my surgery now. A small percentage of ladies do get a mini-period in post-op. From what I understand of a mini-period, it only requires a panty liner.

In my opinion, if one decides to keep the cervix, it is important to be a ~good ~ candidate. I had to have normal pap smears for years and I had to have a sturdy cervix to keep my cervix with my Dr. I am glad I did. For me, my Dr said he felt the cervix helped with future pelvic support and with sex. For me, that has been true.

From my research, Happy is correct about the cervix being the size of a coat button. I went with the "old" quote I have seen on Hyster Sisters many times. If it is not broke...why fix it??? So, I kept my cervix since I was born with it and it was healthy.

You can get pros and cons on keeping the cervix and you will make the right decision for yourself.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 05-27-2005, 06:55 PM

Thanks hystorlady for clarifying about the cauterization. I was just about to come back and edit my post and you added the info about the cauterization in for me. Thank you. What I was going to add was this link with the info right above it and then another link below it. Hope these help out.

No more periods? Yea right! (one woman's surprise after keeping her cervix) Unfortunately many women haven't been told that mini-periods can be a complication if the cervix is kept but if your dr. plans on cauterizing the cervix to prevent these mini periods then there may be less of a chance to get them.
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...periods+cervix

Is dry underwear ever possible with total hysterectomies? Another thing to consider if you have had a discharge from the cervix. I had a continuous discharge that lasted from puberty till my hysterectomy recovery time was over and then I didn't need anymore panty liners. I was so happy about not feeling the natural wetness that was caused by my cervix. I did have some granulation tissue that needed to be cauterized but once that was cleared up I was good. I didn't have any problems with lubrication and was told to keep some Astroglide or other type of lubricant on hand. Personally I like Astroglide the best as only one or two drops is all that is needed and a little goes a long way.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...ight=underwear
Unread 05-27-2005, 08:12 PM

Hi HappyCM3,

I do have the cervical mucus discharge that you mentioned. Usually happens around the time of the month since I kept my ovaries. My Dr. said the discharge can help with natural lubrication of the vagina. My cervical mucus discharge has never been very heavy so it is not a problem for me. And as you mentioned, if some ladies do not want the pre-op cervix discharge in post-op ~also~, it is something to consider with the cervix.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 05-27-2005, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HappyCM3
If you have endometriosis I hear that there is also a chance for you to have mini-periods after a supracervical hysterectomy. Keeping the cervix can be done either abdominally with an outside scar or laproscopically if your dr. has those skills. Since the cervix is part of the uterus many women think that when the cervix is gone the periods are gone as well and they can be mistaken.
If you keep your cervix but not your ovaries, you will not have a mini period. You must keep your cervix and at least one of your ovaries for a mini-period to occur.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register